Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
  1.    #1  
    I finally jumped ship and got myself a Verizon Motorola Bionic (to replace my Verizon Pre Plus). I'm loving the Bionic. However, it took me finally owning an Android device to realize how amazing WebOS is, and how sad it is that it never had great hardware. I expected Android to beat WebOS in every way, but this is not the case. If I had to compare them on just the OS, I'd have to say Android = B+/A-, WebOS = A+. Wow at how much I'm missing WebOS multi-tasking. And I never even got to use a Pre 2...I read that was nice.

Very sad...the WebOS story is like if Rudy had not gotten to play in the end. Damn shame.
    In Spanish, webos means balls. One more reason to love your Palm.

Verizon Wireless Palm Pre Plus from January 2010 - September 2011
    WebOS rocks. It's a sad story.
    Typo Lad and jetsetter883 like this.
    Global Posts
    690 Global Posts
    Aint over till the fat lady sings.
    If the contest was truly about operating system, Maemo would have won easily 2 years ago. Unfortunately people (and companies) see operating systems as merely launchers for applications. They figure nothing should ever really get done on a phone OS and it should merely be for monitoring rather than editing.

Maemo defied this with xterm installed out of the box and installable build tools ON the device. You've only got to try and cross-compile an application under Maemo, then WebOS, then Android (and then fail to do it on an iPhone) to realize the beauty of a much more open system.
    I do understand the OP, I was waiting on the Pre 3 world phone to arrive hopefully to Sprint, but that never happened. I did try the Evo 4G when it came out, also the Evo 3D and the iCrap 4, but I always came back to my beloved (launch day) Palm Pre.

Yesterday, after about a month of thinking and rethinking about it, I got the Motorola Photon 4G, I tested the Samsung Galaxy S2 in-store demo unit for a couple of hours first, but the Photon seemed to be better overall, at least for me, and I really need the GSM capabilities of the phone, so that was the main reason to choose it over the Galaxy S2, according to many rumors and insiders at Sprint, the iCrap is coming early next month to Sprint, but I really don't care about a glorified phone, as a matter of fact, I rather get a Win 8 phone when they come out.

I'm still a webOS user anyway, since I have my 16GB "PalmPad" (HP TouchPad) and I can still use my Pre as a mini tablet to go online
    http://forums.webosnation.com/members/stargate-albums-my-pre-picture960-moving-pre.gif
    We do have some great hardware. It's unfortunate that it's current UI is dragged down significantly by the software that makes it work.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    landford likes this.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Pretty much agree with the OP. I bought an android phone about a month ago. My friend who works for ATT was with me when I made the decision and he assured me that multi tasking is not better or worse, it's just different.

Bull - freaking - doodoo. It's way better on webOS. I suppose if you made judgements based on screenshots you could come to that conclusion but in an environment where you're getting emailed, texts, switching between apps, documents, websites, and trying to control your music player at the same time -- webOS is truly elegant. I mean it had so many functions with one button, and it wasn't even a button! It's a magical gesture area :P.

Sad story indeed.
    Global Posts
    192 Global Posts
    Sad indeed... Great hardware and app selection, but Android os is severely lacking. Thank god for firesale Touchpads.

Tapatalkin' from my Atrix'd out DROID X2
    Exhaust the body, Proceed the mind, Cultivate the spirit
    Quote Originally Posted by elslunko View Post
    Pretty much agree with the OP. I bought an android phone about a month ago. My friend who works for ATT was with me when I made the decision and he assured me that multi tasking is not better or worse, it's just different.

Bull - freaking - doodoo. It's way better on webOS. I suppose if you made judgements based on screenshots you could come to that conclusion but in an environment where you're getting emailed, texts, switching between apps, documents, websites, and trying to control your music player at the same time -- webOS is truly elegant. I mean it had so many functions with one button, and it wasn't even a button! It's a magical gesture area :P.

Sad story indeed.
    Just to be clear, you do know you can long-press the Home button on your Android phone to switch between the last 8 running apps, right? Some people don't know that and wind up going to the app drawer to switch apps, which is cumbersome.

On my Honeycomb tablet, I press the menu button for running apps and switch between them with ease -- one click to bring up the thumbnails of running apps, another to choose the app. It's more a saved-state deal than actually concurrently running apps, but I don't really have any situations where I'd expect something to be running without my input, aside from music. I haven't really tried to have an app running a long task and then switching to and from it to see if it was still working on it in the background, though.
    zc1 likes this.
  10.    #10  
    At the last poster, I know about the home button long press. Its just not the same bro...it just isn't.

Sent from my Verizon Wireless Motorola Droid Bionic using Tapatalk
    In Spanish, webos means balls. One more reason to love your Palm.

Verizon Wireless Palm Pre Plus from January 2010 - September 2011
    2+ years ago, nobody care for the webos multitask. Now, with very little change, still not a game changer. Everyone else caught up with multitasking. Doesnt matter if you guys shouting out this it so called true multitasking, but the reality is that the card is just different way to switch apps, if touchpad let you view more than one app at sametime, thats true multitasking. Iphone, android and soon wp7.5, all have multitasking. After all this time, no one cares for how you switch app, as long as you can listen to music while you are doing something else.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    2+ years ago, nobody care for the webos multitask. Now, with very little change, still not a game changer. Everyone else caught up with multitasking. Doesnt matter if you guys shouting out this it so called true multitasking, but the reality is that the card is just different way to switch apps, if touchpad let you view more than one app at sametime, thats true multitasking. Iphone, android and soon wp7.5, all have multitasking. After all this time, no one cares for how you switch app, as long as you can listen to music while you are doing something else.
    entirely not true, I can keep watching a movie without stop it, and see my whole new mail, you cant do that anywere else, I can have two music players with two diferent play lists and with the push of the hands free button change form one playlist to the other, even play two songs at the same time, (not as good thouhg),to me android looks like windows milenium against widows 7 (web os) there is just no competition just a global company with more money to promote, if palm and web os were bought by google instead of android, web os would have milions of apps and runnig better due to less specs necesity, just my 2 cents
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Yep - nobody cared before, nobody really cares now - it's never been a competitive advantage in terms of getting people to try WebOS. Even if was objectively true that WebOS's multitasking (rather than task switching) was or is better than OS or Android, Windows 8 makes that sort of irrelevant. Unless there is a way to have two windows open in WebOS side by side both running?

I think the big killer for WebOS is that it is a fantastic concept but it hasn't seen the sort of development that the other OSes have, so in lots of little ways has been left behind. A lot of people here think Just type and synergy are still unique things that are only available on WebOS.
    zc1 and Mikey47 like this.
    Will you stop with the absolutes? Some people DO care, alright?!
    johncc, JED-WEB-OS and LCGuy like this.
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Will you stop with the absolutes? Some people DO care, alright?!
    Forums have a conversational tone, it's not a PhD viva or a scientific paper where you have to quantify every statement. When I say "nobody cares" I do not mean LITERALLY nobody cares, I expect the reader to be able to parse the statement in their head for what it is not simply take everything as a definitive literal statement.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    Yep - nobody cared before, nobody really cares now - it's never been a competitive advantage in terms of getting people to try WebOS.
    I agree -- it is something that many of us techies like to tout as a wonderous feature but neither Palm nor HP found a way (or even tried?) to explain this to the average consumer in a manner in which made them WANT to try webOS.

Whether or not this is the "killer" feature that could have vaulted webOS to prominence among the mobile OSes, the plain hard truth is that sales and marketing did not emphasize this enough to make anyone care.

I cared A LOT when the Pre - came to Sprint, which is why I jumped on the platform. I got friends and family to join me by picking up Pres as well, but when their contracts were up and nothing webOS was available, they could've cared less about this and jumped to Android or Apple and are completely happy with their devices and when I have asked them specifically about this feature they all shrug their shoulders and ask me to explain how it is different. That to me is the mark of your term "nobody cares" -- how can they care when they can't see a difference.

It is a moot point now, but if Palm/HP wanted to differentiate themselves it would have had to have been on functionality -- APPS. You need something that other platforms don't have. Why do you think Apple spent so much time trying to shutdown automatic syncs with iTunes and the Pre? Android has Google and all of its apps. webOS has .... great UI for multitasking -- general users who have no idea about tech don't care.
    StuckwVerizon, zc1 and cgk like this.
    I own a Pre Plus and use a work iPhone. While I love the webOS UI - I don't find myself missing the multitasking features all that often. I miss the ability to quickly move from one app to another (advanced guestures) but in many cases if that had been saved state based rather than true multitasking I still would have liked it and gotten most of the same benefits.

What would be nice to understand is how true multitasking has helped some of you so I can either take more advantage of my Pre Plus or decide that it's not a required feature - at some point I suspect I'll have to move on if things don't change.

I do really hate the home key on my iPhone - it's a cumbersome way to navigate.
  18. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    I agree -- it is something that many of us techies like to tout as a wonderous feature but neither Palm nor HP found a way (or even tried?) to explain this to the average consumer in a manner in which made them WANT to try webOS.

Whether or not this is the "killer" feature that could have vaulted webOS to prominence among the mobile OSes, the plain hard truth is that sales and marketing did not emphasize this enough to make anyone care.
    The other problem is at the point of sale, the benefit of WebOS's GUI only really become apparent once you've used it for a couple of days. In a store environment, what on a stock Touchpad was going to make a consumer think "Wow that's cool?" - if you have a play with an ipad in the store, it's loaded with apps that make that short interaction feel really fun.
    Can we please drop the word True Multitasking? I think webOS got advance app switcher. And I think Playbook got better multitasking than webOS. For example, on Playbook, you can use different apps while you play movie on the TV. Can TouchPad or Pre actually play 2 apps at the same time?
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostjb View Post
    entirely not true, I can keep watching a movie without stop it, and see my whole new mail, you cant do that anywere else, I can have two music players with two diferent play lists and with the push of the hands free button change form one playlist to the other
    Out of curiosity, why would you leave a movie running if you switch cards to read an email? Maybe it's just me rationalizing, but I'd prefer my movie to stop while I go read an email, and then resume when I return to the video player.

I think most people are covered by the ability for audio apps to play in the background while you're doing other things. The whole "true multitasking" bit for mobile devices is a bit overblown if, as someone here already mentioned, you're not able to tile apps on the screen.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast