Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree21Likes
    Really? Is holding down a button really that much more effort than swiping up then swiping left or right?

-Suntan
    Definitely, it's less effort than having to wait "15 seconds" to return where you was before (amazing how app start times is a big deal on webOS, but waiting 15 seconds for an app supposedly open isn't)
    Newness Developments apps:

k4ever likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Definitely, it's less effort than having to wait "15 seconds" to return where you was before (amazing how app start times is a big deal on webOS, but waiting 15 seconds for an app supposedly open isn't)
    I agree that having to have an app reload is a pain. My comment was to someone suggesting that having to hold the home button down for a moment is "a pain in the ***." Really?

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    Really? Is holding down a button really that much more effort than swiping up then swiping left or right?

-Suntan
    YES!

Here's a scenario.

On my Pre Plus right now. I have email, preware, a browser, best dictionary and crosswords open. With Android I would need to press AND HOLD - the home key and wait... then I would get a list of apps - and I would have to locate and press the app I want. On webOS I can go directly left or right with advanced gestures or into card view and over. I can organize apps so a quick flip right gives me browser logged into OneAcross and a quick flip left gives me best dictionary while in the center I have the crossword puzzle. No press and hold - just immediate access. I find that doing the same thing on Android is really bothersome - partly because I don't trust everything to be there when I get back - but partly because of the lag on the button press for recent apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    YES!

Here's a scenario.

On my Pre Plus right now. I have email, preware, a browser, best dictionary and crosswords open. With Android I would need to press AND HOLD - the home key and wait... then I would get a list of apps - and I would have to locate and press the app I want. On webOS I can go directly left or right with advanced gestures or into card view and over. I can organize apps so a quick flip right gives me browser logged into OneAcross and a quick flip left gives me best dictionary while in the center I have the crossword puzzle. No press and hold - just immediate access. I find that doing the same thing on Android is really bothersome - partly because I don't trust everything to be there when I get back - but partly because of the lag on the button press for recent apps.
    Have you tried any of the available launcher apps? Wave Launcher lets you swipe up to bring up webOS-wave-thingy clone on top of the running app. It can be setup to always have some apps avaiable plus a number of "last used" apps. It's one option instead of having to press the home key.

-Suntan
    I used AV8b (1.005ghz/VDemand) for a while on my Pre +; before that I used F102A (800/500 mhz Screenstate). I have also used UK from time to time but found I like these two better. In actual testing side by side I found that the Kernel speed is nice but really not that much of an improvement for real world use. I current have three Pre Pluses in the house (one on PagePlus; two wifi only) and all are running at stock speeds.

What I was complaining about is that a native 1.2ghz Android phone isn't seemingly very fast. I would think that would be more than adequate and that it would scream - but it doesn't. The fact that it isn't all that fast compared to the webOS 500mhz device says a lot for webOS I think.

But 1.4.5.1 webOS is not the same generation as Android 2.3.4 so the comparison really isn't very fair...
    I wish I had my Plus with me, I'd take some video to post. I never hear it mentioned, but for a wifi only device now, it screams. The biggest difference I saw that complimented the overclock was the disable carrier radio patch (not the correct name). It was like night & day. It doesn't lag, the pages snap almost as fast as any 'current gen' phone, and apps load MUCH faster. If it had been that snappy before, I'd have kept it around for a lot longer. What exactly in the carrier radio was drawing so much resource?

Oh, and important to note on that, just switching to wifi without the patch does nothing to improve to these levels of *snap*. Patch carrier off...boom...ludicrous speed. Beats my wife's Veer.
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
    Have you tried any of the available launcher apps? Wave Launcher lets you swipe up to bring up webOS-wave-thingy clone on top of the running app. It can be setup to always have some apps avaiable plus a number of "last used" apps. It's one option instead of having to press the home key.

-Suntan
    I have not tried Wave Launcher - but I just installed Dock4Droid and I'll let you know how it goes. However I have already found that while it improves the switching speed - there is a lot of fiddling that has to occur with placement and size of the activation zone - the lack of a built in function makes this kind of kludge tricky.

Also I went to go back to crosswords and accidentally started angry birds. When I switched back to Crosswords - it had lost my place and restarted. Looks like Angry birds is at fault for a bunch of my restarts of apps - I guess it must hog up ram like crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by steffej3 View Post
    I wish I had my Plus with me, I'd take some video to post. I never hear it mentioned, but for a wifi only device now, it screams. The biggest difference I saw that complimented the overclock was the disable carrier radio patch (not the correct name). It was like night & day. It doesn't lag, the pages snap almost as fast as any 'current gen' phone, and apps load MUCH faster. If it had been that snappy before, I'd have kept it around for a lot longer. What exactly in the carrier radio was drawing so much resource?

Oh, and important to note on that, just switching to wifi without the patch does nothing to improve to these levels of *snap*. Patch carrier off...boom...ludicrous speed. Beats my wife's Veer.
    Did you try it with airplane mode on and wifi on? That turns the radio off as well. That's how I use mine - and I do think it's pretty snappy but I didn't think about it being more snappy than before other than for network dependant items.

On another related point: I see my iPhone and Android devices lag frequently when the app is waiting on data external to the device.
    Did you try it with airplane mode on and wifi on? That turns the radio off as well. That's how I use mine - and I do think it's pretty snappy but I didn't think about it being more snappy than before other than for network dependant items.

On another related point: I see my iPhone and Android devices lag frequently when the app is waiting on data external to the device.
    If you wanna see major lag... my Galaxy s2 takes forever to sync emails or get something as needed from the wireless network. On my Pre is was almost instant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    If you wanna see major lag... my Galaxy s2 takes forever to sync emails or get something as needed from the wireless network. On my Pre is was almost instant.
    I am seeing this too - but I figured it was function of the particular email client that they included and not the OS per say. I see my Pre Plus get my mail much sooner than my D2G routinely. Both are on the same wifi network. Interestingly I can say with certainty this is NOT because the Pre Plus is wifi only. My D2G started out as wifi only when the Pre Plus was the active phone and the situation was the same then.

Yes, tried in airplane with wifi only. I have no idea why, but the patch made a much more noticeable difference than the airplane/wifi mode. I run several other patches as well, to improve the UI quickness, but the clear lightswitch item, at least in my case, was that radio always off patch. I mean, it could be placebo effect, but I know when my wife first got her Veer, it was much smoother than the Pre Plus...not the case now.
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    Yep - nobody cared before, nobody really cares now - it's never been a competitive advantage in terms of getting people to try WebOS.
    Most people I know who have used webOS, prefer webOS multitasking. It's just very few people even know it exists. That doesn't mean multitasking is a fail.

(in fact, with it "inspiring" qnx and ice cream sandwich, I think it's fairly evident it's a win. You know that saying about imitation and flattery).

Does its improved multitasking make up for the lack of apps ? For most people, the answer is clearly no.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    Just to be clear, you do know you can long-press the Home button on your Android phone to switch between the last 8 running apps, right? Some people don't know that and wind up going to the app drawer to switch apps, which is cumbersome.

On my Honeycomb tablet, I press the menu button for running apps and switch between them with ease -- one click to bring up the thumbnails of running apps, another to choose the app. It's more a saved-state deal than actually concurrently running apps, but I don't really have any situations where I'd expect something to be running without my input, aside from music. I haven't really tried to have an app running a long task and then switching to and from it to see if it was still working on it in the background, though.
    It is not the same. Swiping up to go to card view and moving the card over to your running app may sound like it takes longer, but it is a whole lot faster and rewarding.

You guys are making me feel sad. Thursday is payday for me and my Pre- is finally going. It is not doing so good right now. It has been to 5 countries with me. I've dropped it countless times. The screen is scratched up. The USB door is gone. The phone gets stuck in headset mode after each call. My insurance on it ran out a while back, so Sprint won't fix it for me. My contract has been up for 3 months now. I should have replaced it then, but every time I went into the store to try out an Android phone I would just turn around and walk out. I've done that over a dozen times in the last few months and used every Android phone in the store. The OS just doesn't not compare with webOS. WebOS is so much easier to use, even with all of the hardware problems. It is so easy that I can hold my phone in one hand and do everything on it with just my thumb on the same hand. I couldn't do that with any of the Android phones or the iPhone. However, I really don't have a choice anymore. HP is not making phones anymore and I don't want to go the FrankenPre route. I have reluctantly settled on a Galaxy S II, but after reading some of the post here I may try the Motorola phone. I hate HP for what they have done to webOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Has anyone noticed the speed of the accelerometer on the Galaxy S2 as compared to the Pre? The Galaxy S2's accelerometer seemed very slow and sluggish compared to my Pre. I hope it is just the store model I was playing with instead of the whole line.

On the email, what are your sync settings? I sure hope this is a settings issue. 50% of my usage on the Pre is email. Is this a Galaxy S2 problem or Android in general? If the Galaxy S2 can't handle email as well as my Pre, it is off my list.
    I agree that having to have an app reload is a pain. My comment was to someone suggesting that having to hold the home button down for a moment is "a pain in the ***." Really?

-Suntan
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostjb View Post
    entirely not true, I can keep watching a movie without stop it, and see my whole new mail, you cant do that anywere else, I can have two music players with two diferent play lists and with the push of the hands free button change form one playlist to the other, even play two songs at the same time, (not as good thouhg),to me android looks like windows milenium against widows 7 (web os) there is just no competition just a global company with more money to promote, if palm and web os were bought by google instead of android, web os would have milions of apps and runnig better due to less specs necesity, just my 2 cents
    I have to agree with this post. I ran a youtube video on the Galaxy S2 and then switched to another app (using the long home press), the video stopped playing (including the audio). I cringed. I do stuff like ghostjb says all the time. Android just does not "do" as much as webOS does.

I opened up the calendar on the Galaxy S2. It looked like crap. The music player looked like crap also. Even with Samsung's skin on both. I'm sure both are pretty capable apps. I think the problem was with Androids use of tabs at the top of these apps and dialog boxes that both looked like something out of the '90s. I don't know what toolkit they use to develop these apps but it has got to go. Both webOS and iOS look like beauty queens when compared to this. Trust me, I know functionally trumps beauty, which is why I'm replacing my Pre- with an Android phone instead of the iPhone, but Android's look and feel is going to drive me insane for a while
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Can we please drop the word True Multitasking? I think webOS got advance app switcher. And I think Playbook got better multitasking than webOS. For example, on Playbook, you can use different apps while you play movie on the TV. Can TouchPad or Pre actually play 2 apps at the same time?
    There is just something off about the Playbook. Messed around with one in the Sprint Store today after playing with the Galaxy S2 for the dozenth time. I was very impressed by multitasking. It is almost exactly like webOS. I left the demo video playing in card view while I moved around on the device. Pretty sweet! However the lack of a button to go into card view was a little off putting and I did not like the menu set-up at all. It was still a very good device and I, along with many others, would have bought one had RIM not decided to make it the only BlackBerry device incapable of accessing email and messages on its own. I don't want to buy a BlackBerry phone just to get my email on my tablet. That was a dumb decision!
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    That's the point, you don't have control over when Android terminates the application unlike webOS.
    THANK YOU! You seem to have control over everything in Android except for the one thing that should matter the most, your running applications....
    Well, there IS one app that you can control when to close: Telenav. Menu->Exit

I hate task switching in Android. ICS looks to improve on it, though app management hasn't apparently.
    Well, donít know what else to suggest. Except maybe this:
    Amazon.com: Who Moved My Cheese?: An Amazing Way to Deal with Change in Your Work and in Your Life (9780399144462): Spencer Johnson, Kenneth Blanchard: Books

Seriously though. As a fellow webOS appreciator, good luck with all your choices. Maybe in 2 weeks Meg will say she's going to be piling boatloads of money into webOS for the sake of building new phones. I'd actually like to hear that personally. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

-Suntan
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234