Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    You're forgetting that webOS 3.0.2 now suspends execution of timers in background apps "in order to improve performance for the foreground application" which is...well, one giant step away from "true multitasking."
    That was a knee-jerk reaction, and they are working on undoing that in a way that allows the timers to run at a reduced frequency. That will un-break most apps that were affected, though not all. It won't make everyone happy, but it will get the OS closer to where it should be. Timers were the only thing affected, so I don't think I would call it a "giant" step. Code not dependent on timers, like subscriptions to services, were not ever affected. That's why some apps were affected and others weren't.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bohh View Post
    I've owned Android, iOS, and webOS in that order. Off them all the daily usage and simple things are so much more polished in webOS it's hard to understand how the other two are so popular. I guess that's what marketing and a name can do.
    I bet I can move around just as quickly in Android 2.3.5 or Honeycomb as you can in webOS webOS has a slicker interface, but I can accomplish the same things in Android with the same amount of effort. It is probably true that Android has a higher learning curve than the other mobile OS's, but it also is almost limitless in what it can do, so there's your reward for learning.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    That was a knee-jerk reaction, and they are working on undoing that in a way that allows the timers to run at a reduced frequency.
    LOL! A "knee jerk reaction" ?!? Dude, coders sometime sit and work for days at a time on a couple of hundred lines of code. EVERYTHING is thoroughly planned, compartmentalised and reassembled into the main tree. You DON'T just go and introduce or remove a feature on a whim and afterwards go "whoopsies, sorry guise! We'll take that back out when we get around to it!!"

And with HP getting rid of webOS, I doubt that they'll introduce anything major like that. There might be another update with the bugfixes they were working on before the announcement, but probably nothing major like that...
    LOL! A "knee jerk reaction" ?!? Dude, coders sometime sit and work for days at a time on a couple of hundred lines of code. EVERYTHING is thoroughly planned, compartmentalised and reassembled into the main tree. You DON'T just go and introduce or remove a feature on a whim and afterwards go "whoopsies, sorry guise! We'll take that back out when we get around to it!!"

And with HP getting rid of webOS, I doubt that they'll introduce anything major like that. There might be another update with the bugfixes they were working on before the announcement, but probably nothing major like that...
    You're right, I have no idea what I'm talking about. :-/

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    You're right, I have no idea what I'm talking about. :-/

Developing a couple of apps hardly equals experience building an operating system.

And even you HAD experience coding an OS, implying that making that kind of a change was was just a "kneejerk reaction" is still pretty out there...
    Just wanted to throw my two cents in as well. I have used WebOS, Android, and iOS. I was watching Jimmy Fallon when he previewed the Pre and I was hooked right there. I paid an ETF to switch to Sprint so I could get one. I absolutely love webOS and therefore I may be biased but I am not just talking out of my ***....I have used the other two OS's and didn't care for them. I gave them each a chance. I was having trouble with Sprint service where I live so I got a Droid Incredible on Verizon and kept it for a few months. I missed webOS so I bought a PrePlus. The only downside I see to webOS is the lack of apps. I wanted to try iOS so I recently bought an iPhone. I hated iOS and just couldn't get used to it. I loved the app store, but that was it. I decided I enjoyed webOS with its limited apps much more than the "big two" OS's. I check PreCentral and WebOSRoundup every night to see if there has been an announcement from HP. Either way, I am in the process of getting a Pre2 and I will stick with that as long as I can.
    Quote Originally Posted by vszulc View Post
    Developing a couple of apps hardly equals experience building an operating system.

And even you HAD experience coding an OS, implying that making that kind of a change was was just a "kneejerk reaction" is still pretty out there...
    I'm not implying it was, I saying it was. It wasn't there in 3.0, but it was there in 3.0.2 with no warning to developers. Classic knee-jerk reaction.
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    There's no true multitasking with these devices. Apps really time share cpu processing! This is the way most computers work! The Pre is no different than the other devices! I do like my Pre's size and performance, it is much more responsive than the Android phone that I got rid of! I will upgrade to a Android device that responds as well as my Pre. The Pre is lacking flash support and voice command/search which limits it over the adverage Android device

Funny, because that's exactly what has happened. Obviously you don't pay attention to the public access developer forums, because that is something that has been hashed out on there quite extensively. They introduced that to solve a problem that was seen in 3.0, and when the devs blew up, they decided that it should probably be changed in a different way.

So, yeah, you are looking pretty foolish there, but it's not entirely your fault -- you don't read the public dev forum. And why would you, if you're not a dev? So I don't blame you there. But bringing that attitude with it, is pretty foolhardy.

Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by acharpy22 View Post
    Just wanted to throw my two cents in as well. I have used WebOS, Android, and iOS. I was watching Jimmy Fallon when he previewed the Pre and I was hooked right there. I paid an ETF to switch to Sprint so I could get one. I absolutely love webOS and therefore I may be biased but I am not just talking out of my ***....I have used the other two OS's and didn't care for them. I gave them each a chance. I was having trouble with Sprint service where I live so I got a Droid Incredible on Verizon and kept it for a few months. I missed webOS so I bought a PrePlus. The only downside I see to webOS is the lack of apps. I wanted to try iOS so I recently bought an iPhone. I hated iOS and just couldn't get used to it. I loved the app store, but that was it. I decided I enjoyed webOS with its limited apps much more than the "big two" OS's. I check PreCentral and WebOSRoundup every night to see if there has been an announcement from HP. Either way, I am in the process of getting a Pre2 and I will stick with that as long as I can.
    You should get a Pre 2 or Pre 3 you'll love it!
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronboykin View Post
    There's no true multitasking with these devices. Apps really time share cpu processing! This is the way most computers work!
    That's how multitasking is defined in computer science since forever, multiple processes share a common cpu. So yes, they do multitask just like our computers. You may be thinking of multiprocessing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    I own a Pre Plus and use a work iPhone. While I love the webOS UI - I don't find myself missing the multitasking features all that often. I miss the ability to quickly move from one app to another (advanced guestures) but in many cases if that had been saved state based rather than true multitasking I still would have liked it and gotten most of the same benefits.

What would be nice to understand is how true multitasking has helped some of you so I can either take more advantage of my Pre Plus or decide that it's not a required feature - at some point I suspect I'll have to move on if things don't change.

I do really hate the home key on my iPhone - it's a cumbersome way to navigate.
    Since I wrote this I have picked up two Android phones and my wife is now using a Droid X and I am using a Droid 2 Global. I have to say the iPhone method of multitasking is even more developed than Android. The problem I see with Android's multitasking is that I see frequent failures - I'll leave an app and return only to find that the app did not save state (Angry Birds for example) this isn't consistent - and neither is the "just search" type functionality - I'm often forced to specify that I am looking for an application not a website when I search DESPITE having set this as one of the sources that should be searched by default.

Frankly Android is a bit Frankenstein like - iOS is a bit like a high-end model - all caviar and hairspray - but hard to cuddle up with - webOS is like the girl next door - comfy and layered with lots of hidden charms.

So why am I using Frankenstein as my primary phone? I guess I keep hoping it's not the OS or the phone and that there is some miracle that will make it all work the way I think it should and I'll have a wide variety of hardware, apps, and form factors to choose from - at a rational cost.

Apple is starting to miss the boat - the great polish is fine but they are trailing on the hardware front - what was competitive once is not quite staying in the race - or I might be tempted.

What I find most hilarious is that Android is supposedly open but is harder to get basic functional patches and changes on than webOS which is largely closed source... <sigh>.
    Quote Originally Posted by jrstinkfish View Post
    I bet I can move around just as quickly in Android 2.3.5 or Honeycomb as you can in webOS webOS has a slicker interface, but I can accomplish the same things in Android with the same amount of effort. It is probably true that Android has a higher learning curve than the other mobile OS's, but it also is almost limitless in what it can do, so there's your reward for learning.
    I need a tutorial then. I find it teidious and clunky - but more than that - I've found that I can't rely on apps to save state or multitask except for a few key ones. I am hesitant to switch from what I am doing and my overall use of the apps is very monotasked due to this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    I need a tutorial then. I find it teidious and clunky - but more than that - I've found that I can't rely on apps to save state or multitask except for a few key ones. I am hesitant to switch from what I am doing and my overall use of the apps is very monotasked due to this.
    No offence meant here, but you and your wife are using year old phones that have both been updated with newer models, and while they are now running gingerbread I don’t believe they updated the MotoBlur interface to the newer, better version.

In any case, it is fair to comment about phones of the same vintage, but just keep in mind that there are newer, better android phones to compare to.

Anyway, what real world “multi-tasking” scenarios are you looking to execute that you find problematic on your android phone? Do you have a particular scenario or two?

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    No offence meant here, but you and your wife are using year old phones that have both been updated with newer models, and while they are now running gingerbread I don’t believe they updated the MotoBlur interface to the newer, better version.

In any case, it is fair to comment about phones of the same vintage, but just keep in mind that there are newer, better android phones to compare to.

Anyway, what real world “multi-tasking” scenarios are you looking to execute that you find problematic on your android phone? Do you have a particular scenario or two?

-Suntan
    I have a friend with a Photon 4g and his is very similar if not identical in terms of overall look / feel. The screen is bigger, and the processors are faster - so it's snappier - but the behavior is similar. (No offense taken - reasonable point)

Real world - it's hard to distill that way. But here's a few examples.

I'm playing Angry Birds Seasons and I remember I want to update a forum post using the browser. I go to my browser either with a long press on HOME or home and then pick the icon - and when I go back Angry Birds has not saved state. I've lost where I was.

I'm using the browser, I decide I'm done and go play Dropwords for a while and then decide I want to play Angry Birds Seasons. Then I want to go back to Dropwords where I was - but alas Dropwords has closed and restarts from scratch. Then I try to go back to Angry Birds - but it TOO is closed and starts over.

So I decide to use Google Books to read a bit, then bounce to my email and then to the camera and then to gallery and then back to my games - both have closed AGAIN. Books stays put, but that's trivial to keep track of vs. an open game.

None of these scenario's ever failed on my Pre - albeit Google Books would be replaced by Kobo.

I realize all of these involve games - and I'm sure that this seems arbitrary but the reality is that these are real world scenarios for me. Example, I hand the phone to my son to play Angry Birds, or Dropwords; I then realize I need to make a call. I ask him to pause the game, I switch to contacts or use voice search and then after the call I try to hand him back his game in progress - but it starts over.

I'm sure there are some productivity apps that I may find behave just as badly but I've not run into them yet. The truth is I'm not trying to multitask because it's so painful when it fails - and I have found no reasonable way to predict when it will happen.

What also irks me is that I have a Droid 2 Global with a 1.2ghz proc and it is pretty sluggish at times. My Pre Plus at 500mhz is in the ballpark - slower but not 2x slower.
    Speaking mostly with CM7 experience, I find it pretty much impossible to multi-task. Changing apps has a very high frequency of outright closing whatever app was running, leaving it only appearing in the "Recent Apps" list, but holding the home button to bring that up is not only a pain in the ***, but when I do restore it, it's usually re-launching the app from the start.

And my coworker, the only other person I know with an Android device, the Galaxy Tab, constantly complains about how it's impossible to multitask in Gingerbread, and that if ICS doesn't come to his Tab soon, he's going to ask me for the Pre- he gave me back.

advice on the Pre+ .. try out the 1.0 or 1.1ghz kernels. If really adventurous, there's a 1.2 in the alpha feeds, but I couldn't get that running on any of mine.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    Speaking mostly with CM7 experience, I find it pretty much impossible to multi-task. Changing apps has a very high frequency of outright closing whatever app was running, leaving it only appearing in the "Recent Apps" list, but holding the home button to bring that up is not only a pain in the ***, but when I do restore it, it's usually re-launching the app from the start.

And my coworker, the only other person I know with an Android device, the Galaxy Tab, constantly complains about how it's impossible to multitask in Gingerbread, and that if ICS doesn't come to his Tab soon, he's going to ask me for the Pre- he gave me back.

advice on the Pre+ .. try out the 1.0 or 1.1ghz kernels. If really adventurous, there's a 1.2 in the alpha feeds, but I couldn't get that running on any of mine.
    Not much to add other than I agree with this, based on CM7 experience. I use both on my TouchPad, but CM7 only gets a boot when I want to fill the gap on missing apps. If I have anything even remotely productive to do, like email/twitter/etc....it's webOS.

I'm a huge webOS fan, but I am open to other things & love to explore all of the options. We have an iPad 2 now (replaced our iPad 1)...the TouchPad running webOS always wins out, at least in our house. If I had just a few more apps available on my TouchPad, without using splashtop to supplement, I'd never boot Android, other than to tinker with another toy.
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
    Well, it does happen. I’ll not disagree. With my Droid 3, I just loaded AB Rio and played a couple of levels, then paused it with a bird in mid flight. Opened a browser to a page and looked around. Went back to AB Rio and it was still right where I paused it.

Did it again, this time started up the latest Mobile Nations podcast and watched that for a minute then AB Rio reset itself. That said, it only took about 15 seconds for everything to be reloaded and back to the level it was at. I will agree, it is annoying, but not earth stopping.

As for general speed. I can’t relate. The Droid 3 run circles around my old Pre+, even with the Pre+ overclocked to 1Ghz.

That said, it is interesting that you picked AB as a scenario. I loaded AB Rio on my Droid 3 because it was free from the Amazon Store one day, but this is the first time I have loaded it because I’ve always had so many newer game options to choose from on android.

As an aside, if you like Angry Birds, give “Sprinkle” a look. It is no longer a Tegra II exclusive so all handsets can play it.

-Suntan
    but holding the home button to bring that up is not only a pain in the ***,
    Really? Is holding down a button really that much more effort than swiping up then swiping left or right?

-Suntan
    I used AV8b (1.005ghz/VDemand) for a while on my Pre +; before that I used F102A (800/500 mhz Screenstate). I have also used UK from time to time but found I like these two better. In actual testing side by side I found that the Kernel speed is nice but really not that much of an improvement for real world use. I current have three Pre Pluses in the house (one on PagePlus; two wifi only) and all are running at stock speeds.

What I was complaining about is that a native 1.2ghz Android phone isn't seemingly very fast. I would think that would be more than adequate and that it would scream - but it doesn't. The fact that it isn't all that fast compared to the webOS 500mhz device says a lot for webOS I think.

But 1.4.5.1 webOS is not the same generation as Android 2.3.4 so the comparison really isn't very fair...
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast