1.    #1  
    I just saw the Acer ICONIA A500 at Fry's.

Hardware wise - WOW!

How can we port our much beloved WebOS on to this lovely set of bones (hint, hint, hint)?

Other then a 1gh chip, the form factor and all of it's goodies are what HP should have come out of the gate with.

I loved palying with it but, the Android OS still drives me crazy.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    How can we port our much beloved WebOS on to this lovely set of bones (hint, hint, hint)?
    You can't - not legally.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    You can't - not legally.
    buzz kill
    Nice idea, but even if someone could figure out how to load webOS 3 on an Iconia A500, there would be no graphics acceleration. The GPUs on Nvidia and Qualcomm chips use different instruction sets.
    Dan Donovan
    Quote Originally Posted by dgdonovan View Post
    Nice idea
    Sure. In my opinion, webOS must run on any computer capable of running Linux. Just port the drivers and you're set. Now, if everything was so easy...

if someone could figure out how to load webOS 3 on an Iconia A500
    Is the bootloader the hardest part? I'm envyous at those people making Windows Phone 7 run on unsupported hardware. Well, I agree that hardware is very similar to the official specs, though. But WP7 is a much more complex operating system, with very strong protection of its ecosystem.

there would be no graphics acceleration
    Is the graphics chip fully used in the current iteration of webOS? I believe the TouchPad uses only a subset of the capabilities of the tremendous 3D functions the chipset has.
    Even IF you got it ported, I think you'd be pretty disappointed with the result. Hardware-vise the Touchpad is actually better, if you just look at the raw power of the CPU, GPU and RAM.

webOS would probably run even slower on the A500. (Android is awesome on it though. Have the A100 myself).

The only advantages the A500 has, are as far as I can see: A real camera and a higher screen resolution.