Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By StuckwVerizon
  • 1 Post By robinreliant
  1.    #1  
    APPs!!! Seriously. Think about it. If the touchpad had every app available that the Ipad has, this thing would be better than the Ipad. The homebrew community is great with their patches.the hardware ain't all that bad. Sure I get annoying freezes every now and then. But still, the main thing that it is lacking is APPs. And the only way to beat Apple is to have the great apps that it has. Nuff said.
  2.    #2  
    may I ask the mod why this was moved? It's a thread about the touchpad, not webOS. Maybe the title should have said "touchpad" but the mods are a little too quick to move things imo.
    Like many on here, apps aren't all that important to me. So, that wasn't really a factor when I was choosing a smartphone. Reality is, to the average user, apps have become (whether justly or not) the barometer by which a smartphone platform is judged. I'm reminded of this everytime I visit my fiance and get to use her iPhone. I don't like the OS anywhere near as much...but the apps allow it do so much more.
    webOS failed because of many reasons. Took too long to release first Pre, maybe they announced it too early? And very bad hardware, just too many people got frustrated with faulty hardware. Only released on Sprint. Buggy OS. Slow on update. Scarey lady. No new hardware. Just too many reasons beside just Apps. Apps are just easy way to blame it on something else. Palm/HP screwed themselve, can't blame anything else at this point.
    mitchell209#WN likes this.
  5.    #5  
    yeah well this thread was meant to be in the touchpad forum as I wasn't talking about smartphones. Na zis haha
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmytvc15 View Post
    APPs!!! Seriously. Think about it. If the touchpad had every app available that the Ipad has, this thing would be better than the Ipad. The homebrew community is great with their patches.the hardware ain't all that bad. Sure I get annoying freezes every now and then. But still, the main thing that it is lacking is APPs. And the only way to beat Apple is to have the great apps that it has. Nuff said.
    I was actually going to try and post something similar..

If both tablets had the same apps, and i had a patched touchpad and an iPad side by side I would choose webOS every time, and this is coming from a confirmed apple fan, I still have my iMac and apple tv but I have replaced my iphone 4 and iPad 1 with webOS stuff, mad? Maybe but I knows what I likes.

1: Current webOS devs just carry on doing what your doing, we will support your upgraded or new apps...you have done a great job so far with little market, keep it up please?

2:Ios and droid devs that are on the fence please have a little faith, there are now or will be soon a couple of million touchpad owners all crying out for quality and useful apps, even at a quid a pop, well, you do the math?

Also, I am a relative newbie, but agreed I think this was appropriate for the main touchpad forum
    DeadVim likes this.
    Too a degree, I concur with the main thrust of the thread. After having used webOS for android for a bit now, webOS with even 1/3 of the apps in the android marketplace would make webOS the clearly superior ecosystem. Frankly, the user experience on android just SUCKS, if you've actually used webOS for any length of time.

That said, there were issues beyond apps. I think the hardware quality issue is a bit overplayed on the boards, but it was a legitimate issue. Time between announcement and launch was too much. However, the more I think about it, the more I believe the biggest issue was an infatuation with, admittedly cool, but gimmicky technologies. I think the biggest example is touch-to-share. It required additional, non-standard, hardware and, while cool, was not a kill-the-competition feature. Moreover, the ultimate user effect could have been done as some sort of cloud based, software only syncing of device states through the Palm Profile. This wasted resources which could have been improving the OS and ecosystem and increased unit cost. Another, much less egregious example was the touchstone/exhibition. I think both are very interesting technologies, but they require non-standard hardware, which drove up costs, and they took development resources away from building up the OS and ecosystem. Moreover, again, the ultimate end user experience could have been accomplished virtually through some kind of dashboard app. If the resources spent to build gimmicks had instead gone into making sure the OS user experience was rock solid and the hardware was basic standard hardware without any custom bits and bobs, I think we may have been looking at a much different story.

Gargoyle
    Quote Originally Posted by rick1963 View Post
    If both tablets had the same apps, and i had a patched touchpad
    See, that's the problem. The TouchPad has to be patched to come close the iPad, with stock firmware, in terms of performance. Even with a giant library of apps, the OS is still buggy, which is a huge problem. If HPalm had spent less time working on gimmicks most users would never find a use for (TTS) and more on improving the user experience and performance of webOS, then it may have been a winner. The delays and terrible hardware of the Pre and Pre+ didn't help the platform either.
    webOS' downfall started when they debuted webOS on crappy hardware w/ the Pre-, and kept it exclusive to Sprint for so long. All the problems with cracked usb doors & oreo effects, just started webOS on the wrong foot. Then by the time Pre + came to Verizon, the Droid was taking off & it put Android on the map.

webOS never seemed to recover too well from it's shaky start. The lack of apps just made things worst.