Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 27 of 27
Like Tree8Likes
  1. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Season View Post
    I think if something does not break for us or change by March 2012, Webos will be dead as a platform and I'll just rock my TP and Pre- till they die (or my Pre3 if I can ever get my hands on one).
    You don't have to wait until March 2012.

    By next month, you are going to see ios 5 and ice cream sandwich. That's how the tech world works, everybody is running full speed and throwing a zillion engineers on their platforms. Running webos web apps is going to be like running ie6.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    You don't have to wait until March 2012.

    By next month, you are going to see ios 5 and ice cream sandwich. That's how the tech world works, everybody is running full speed and throwing a zillion engineers on their platforms. Running webos web apps is going to be like running ie6.
    I'm sure thats what tech innovators of the past have often heard. There is a market opportunity for Webos. World domination by IOS and Android is not a future set in stone. I argue for doing what we can in the form of these app bounties to improve the odds that Webos will get another shot. We lose nothing in making the effort, and we might just be successful. Stranger things have happened. There is no downside to trying, so why not try? Join the app bounty campaigns. All of them. Everybody matters.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    There is no way on earth, I am going to be handing over cash to the makers of mediocre second-rate apps. If I was going to give away money I would rather give it to something worthwhile like cancer research.
    Then do that. No reason to waste your time (which is money) posting this reply. What compels you to post this? You have a problem with someone pledging $5 to support app development? Sheesh!
    Last edited by steffej3; 09/21/2011 at 02:34 PM.
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

    Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    I actively gave money to Palm, Sprint, Homebrewers, and Application Developers. When I saw that my money was being flushed down the toilet I stopped giving. While I would love to see webOS make a rebound, I am going to sit on the sidelines and adopt a wait-and-see attitude.
    So the homebrew community flushed your money down the toilet? They single handedly gave me a reason to stick with webOS on a Sprint Pre for 2 years (longer than I've ever kept a single phone). What your direct experience with the statement above as it relates to homebrew, my interest is piqued.
    In or within a day's drive of Indy? Join one of our meetups!
    http://www.meetup.com/HPwebOS/Indianapolis/

    Twitter: @INDYwebOSMeetup @steffej3
  5. samab's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Season View Post
    I'm sure thats what tech innovators of the past have often heard. There is a market opportunity for Webos. World domination by IOS and Android is not a future set in stone. I argue for doing what we can in the form of these app bounties to improve the odds that Webos will get another shot. We lose nothing in making the effort, and we might just be successful. Stranger things have happened. There is no downside to trying, so why not try? Join the app bounty campaigns. All of them. Everybody matters.
    You remind me of that Seinfeld episode where Seinfeld convinced Babu to open up a Pakistani restaurant. You have no skin in the game --- it's only other people that have to spend their time and money developing software that they can't sell.

    These people have kids to feed and I am not going to recommend them to spend their time and money on app developments that has no business model.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    You have no skin in the game --- it's only other people that have to spend their time and money developing software that they can't sell.
    You are incorrect on a couple of counts. First, I'm putting money into all the bounty campaigns I started. I was the first to join each of those campaigns and made a pledge of real money to them that a developer coming up with a solution can collect. So you are incorrect on that front.

    Secondly, I'm advocating app bounty campaigns by the user base that put cash on the table as the incentive for a developer to invest the time and energy to develop a solution. If the bounty for a given solution gets big enough, someone will decide to invest time in creating a solution that allows them to claim it. So I'm not suggesting any developer invest their time for nothing. In fact, just the opposite, because I don't believe in app bounties or port requests which are not collectible (something seen here in the forums). Thats not effective. I advocate users putting up real money that compensates a developer for their time and effort.

    Thats our skin in the game and the power we have as a user base. HP screwed up the natural market forces of our app eco system with their mismanagement. But there is demand, there is a market. Its functioning has been damaged and distorted by HP's bungling. WE the userbase, are the market. But to make our market power felt by developers, we'll need to take direct action to provide the seed capital/investment return to lure them to develop new apps or port existing ones. App bounties that put cash on the table at a minimum ought to attract a few developers to port their apps (game apps in particular, where its just not that hard).

    I'm advocating for market based user activism that harnesses business incentives to bring developers in.

    I frankly find the resistance to this strategy somewhat mystifying. Where is the downside? Users make pledges of money to a collectible bounty for a given app/solution/patch via credit card. Developers take action to develop that solution when a bounty gets big enough to attract them. Solution/app/patch gets developed. Developer gets paid, users get solution, Webos is improved, everyone is happy. If solution never materializes, users don't have to make good on their pledge.

    There is no downside. If we get lots of participation, its all upside and its replicable, we just keep repeating the process. And the cost to enter is low. You can pledge a lousy $2, or pledge $1000 or anything in between, so everybody can do something on this.

    So join the campaigns. Given the chance that Leo might be shown the door, there is no telling what might happen next. If the situation breaks in Webos' direction, a bunch of successful app bounty campaigns will only help position Webos for another shot at life. Get on board. We need every single Webos user out there. WE CAN DO THIS.
    9orynych likes this.
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by steffej3 View Post
    So the homebrew community flushed your money down the toilet? They single handedly gave me a reason to stick with webOS on a Sprint Pre for 2 years (longer than I've ever kept a single phone). What your direct experience with the statement above as it relates to homebrew, my interest is piqued.
    You are 100% right -- the flushing comment was pointed at Palm and Sprint -- NOT homebrewers or the app developers. I certainly said it that way, there is no denying it, but that certainly was NOT my intent. Homebrewers were about the only lifeline (along with the community here) I had and I agree with you that they were the only reason I hung on as long as I could.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions