Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By ilovedessert
  • 1 Post By sledge007
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

The author ignores one thing what happens if HTC buys or licenses webOS and keeps using Android??? See link.

Take care,

Jay

Expect More "HP TouchPad at $99" Sales if HTC Ditches Android
    By CAF | September 13, 2011 10:35 PM EST

Expect More "HP TouchPad at $99" Sales if HTC Ditches Android - International Business Times

HTC Corp., the second largest Asia-based smartphone maker, is gaining market share with devices running on Google's Android operating system. Now it's setting its sights on an own platform.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    mjkjr likes this.
  2. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    The author ignores one thing what happens if HTC buys or licenses webOS and keeps using Android???
    The author ignores a lot of things - at best we currently have maybe 3 million webOS users worldwide. In one single country, the UK, there are six million android users - 50% of those are using HTC android handsets. That's a single country.

Even if HTC were interested in licensing and/or buying WebOS, in the short to medium term, they are not going to ditch android, they simply have too much tied up in it and recieve too much revenue from it.
    Maybe they'll be the first to pioneer a dual-boot OS smartphone?
    BobKy likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    that would be a great idea in theory but i think the memory needed for both boot systems would be really large and cause consumer ****-offishness when they find they can't add many apps before getting the 'no memory' error warning. i'm not an expert so i could be wrong(and even experts can be wrong so dont get me started on that tirade) and am just posting my personal opinion as an intelligent response to your great idea.
    Cat up a Treo (now on the Pre, yo!)
    Creepycat at Creepycast Podcast

Palm user since "the one after the pilot" and still horde a drawer full of pda models as well as cradles and fold up keyboards because i was too greedy to let them "go" when they could have "went".
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Technically, Motorola already does that with their webtop enabled phones.

To my knowledge, it hasn't gone over too well. Most people get mad that memory space is being used up for webtop functions that they don't want to use.

In any case, I fail to see a scenario where dual booting on a phone would lead to significant sales increasing. Dual booting on PCs is only for uber-nerds as it is. Dual booting into webos would really only be for uber-nerd-webos diehards. I'm going to guess that the total number of thos people amount to less than a days sales of a top end HTC android device.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    The author ignores a lot of things - at best we currently have maybe 3 million webOS users worldwide. In one single country, the UK, there are six million android users - 50% of those are using HTC android handsets. That's a single country.

Even if HTC were interested in licensing and/or buying WebOS, in the short to medium term, they are not going to ditch android, they simply have too much tied up in it and recieve too much revenue from it.
    3 million present/past users up to 2010.

With the TP fire sale, most definitely up to 4 million present and/or past users.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

suntan -

hearing it from someone else's mind made me realize another important idea re:dual boot phones. webos is the best there is so i would not want to have any other os in the background annoying the ***** outta me.

im spoiled by the multitasking so much that i'm really starting to despise apple for its ever changing os and wish that i could do my audio podcast recording and production on a touchpad (of course i've yet to find one of those now that i can actually afford it ) and be stress free and gifted with extra time to enjoy other things.

i've been an apple fantard since 1989ish so that says A LOT for web os.
    Cat up a Treo (now on the Pre, yo!)
    Creepycat at Creepycast Podcast

Palm user since "the one after the pilot" and still horde a drawer full of pda models as well as cradles and fold up keyboards because i was too greedy to let them "go" when they could have "went".
    It is what it is....just a passing thought more than anything.

As for the technical side/memory etc...I didn't really put a whole lot of thought into it....It seems weird to me that you can buy a 32GB SD card for your camera that's the size of a postage stamp....and memory/ram is still an issue. Looking at my TouchPad, (or an iPad or any other tablet device), I find it hard to believe that's all they could squeeze in. Why they couldn't expand on that idea of storage....say 4 or 5 SD cards made into one giant card...so say 32 times 5....160GB storage.....it doesn't seem that hard to fathom.

Writing this made me look it up....Why is the maximum storage on an iPad only 64GB? - iPad memory resolved | Ask MetaFilter

Fair enough explanations, I guess. But still