Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By SmartFah
  1.    #1  
    "...By separating the webOS mobile operating system from the hardware business, Lane said HP will be able to take advantage of what he described as "the best platform in the world" for commercial application development. "You cannot develop serious, portable applications on Android," Lane said, noting that the Web app development platform behind webOS can port applications to Andoid, Apple iOS, or Windows as well as webOS.

How can HP take advantage of webOS if it's not used on any smartphones or tablets? Robison said HP is in discussion with partners and that it intends to give webOS and its Web app development environment a life of its own as a platform for the industry. "It provides a common platform on which you can develop applications and deploy them on any operating system of choice," he said... "

IW500: HP Chairman Defends Strategy Shifts - Software - Enterprise Applications - Informationweek

thanks to jay for pointing out this article
    I hate to sound bitter, but I had enough of HP flapping their mouths.

They failed to deliver on almost every promise pertaining to webOS.
    -Products will launch in weeks not months after announcement.
    -TouchPad won't launch until it's perfect

And my favorite
    -HP ships 120 PC's & printers per minute, and we'll have webOS running on every one of them. Increasing the webOS user base to tens of millions within months.

Sorry HP, if it pertains to webOS, I take everything you say with a grain of salt. (No offense to Todd Bradley, who's in the pic. I actually like Todd Bradley, he should have been CEO instead of Leo)
    Interesting and I hope they are successful since otherwise webOS will simply remain stagnant. Sorli...
    Nice read, and but it's really hard to believe that a company with so much clout could be so awful at communication. No one in a room full of millionaires said ' if we're going to make this announcement, we better make sure that our goals and motives are clear so that the confusion doesn't cost us customers'

if they can't handle something so simple, I can't see them digging themselves out of the whole they've created.
  5. agx
    Puhleeze, Ray Lane is so full of crap with that comment! I would nominate Ray and Leo as the cast of Dumb and Dumber 2 movie. They would run HP to the ground with their sheer of stupidity. They have no brain nor balls. The only thing they are good at is their failure as CEO in the past.
  6.    #6  
    I'm reading this now as they want to license webOS to everyone to put their own skins on it and perhaps have multiple app catalogues and fragmentation situation similar to android? That would be in line with lane's earlier quote of being like android on every device. I guess the android manufacturers would bite after google Motorola deal. Or would they want more control and/or exclusivity or to buy the os outright to control their destiny?
  7. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bluenote View Post
    I'm reading this now as they want to license webOS to everyone to put their own skins on it and perhaps have multiple app catalogues and fragmentation situation similar to android? That would be in line with lane's earlier quote of being like android on every device. I guess the android manufacturers would bite after google Motorola deal. Or would they want more control and/or exclusivity or to buy the os outright to control their destiny?
    I don't read it as anything of the sort - it seems that they are interested in developing it as a platform for software that fits within their planed direction as a enterprise-focused IT vendor. So any developments will be with that in mind - that also fits with moving it from inside their PSG group.

I think the idea is that the WebOS will give a unifed GUI for their enterprise software and that people will run it on top of whatever OS they are using in their enterprise. Plus people can use it as a development platform for apps they want to port to other platforms.

HP is moving away from consumer focused activities, developing WebOS as a consumer focused platform doesn't make any sense within the overall strategy.
    I'm reading this as new "magic formula" for webOS success. Now they are thinking to differentiate webOS from the rest of mobile OSes with content creation ability.