Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi, I just recieved my touchpad and I have to say, I LOVE webOS! The only problem is, since hp decided to discontinue it, will the app catalog grow large eventually? Thats the only thing that im afraid of. I want to start buying apps and stuff, but if it won't grow any larger than it already is (and its pretty small), I might think about going to android.

What are your thoughts? Do you think webOS will live on?
    Quote Originally Posted by MERYDOG View Post
    I LOVE webOS! The only problem is, since hp decided to discontinue it
    HP has not discontinued webOS.

They have discontinued making hardware.

Its tough to say what will become of webOS, but it will surely be rocky for the next 6 months.

But, its not the nail in the coffin, yet, webOS is just still on life support.
    tbh the things your "worried" over are things you could have easily have read up on before buying the touchpad, probably shouldnt have bought it if you were that worried.
    ...and your web browser can run a large qty of the things you would ever need in an app.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    jetsetter883 likes this.
    Given the fact that there are close to 1M new users, I don't expect to see any slowdown in app development, for awhile. I notice new apps in the catalog daily, and know there are still more awaiting approvals, as well as more in the pipelines. Apps take time to make, port, debug etc, whatever the case may be. We are just getting close to a month since the firesale, so any developer that decided to jump on the app bandwagon, if it's any app that has any depth to it, is probably still in the writing stages.

I think towards the middle of October, we'll see a sharp spike in apps, which direction is anybody's guess, either developers have been scrambling to write like crazy to get their apps out first, or they haven't done anything at all. I lean on the first of the two options.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    tbh the things your "worried" over are things you could have easily have read up on before buying the touchpad, probably shouldnt have bought it if you were that worried.
    \

I was aware, but I didn't expect to like webOS so much that I would stay. (my intention was to put android on it)
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    HP has not discontinued webOS.

They have discontinued making hardware.

Its tough to say what will become of webOS, but it will surely be rocky for the next 6 months.

But, its not the nail in the coffin, yet, webOS is just still on life support.
    I just hope that it comes out of life support ):
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    Given the fact that there are close to 1M new users, I don't expect to see any slowdown in app development, for awhile. I notice new apps in the catalog daily, and know there are still more awaiting approvals, as well as more in the pipelines. Apps take time to make, port, debug etc, whatever the case may be. We are just getting close to a month since the firesale, so any developer that decided to jump on the app bandwagon, if it's any app that has any depth to it, is probably still in the writing stages.

I think towards the middle of October, we'll see a sharp spike in apps, which direction is anybody's guess, either developers have been scrambling to write like crazy to get their apps out first, or they haven't done anything at all. I lean on the first of the two options.
    Thats exactly what I wanted to hear. I hope your right! Thanks <3
    Sure, it's nice to have apps that put things into a better paradigm for the platform, but the web browser is pretty decent. I keep looking at all my favorite iPod apps, for inspiration for things to do on the Touchpad, and I routinely find myself thinking "I can't outdo the web interface for this thing, so why bother?"

That wasn't the case with GVoice -- I hate the Google Voice web interface, and I kind of love the webOS 2-pane interface. It's also the intent to provide offline functionalities with it, so that you can review your messages and queue messages for outgoing while offline, but none of that is currently implemented in it.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    I still believe than without hardware (new) any OS is dead. My PRE is no going to last for ever and then what? I have to purchase new hardware and it will have new OS . I can not purchase a new PRE even if I want it to. SPRINT has not have a new PRE for a long time
    Quote Originally Posted by tungsten C View Post
    I still believe than without hardware (new) any OS is dead. My PRE is no going to last for ever and then what? I have to purchase new hardware and it will have new OS . I can not purchase a new PRE even if I want it to. SPRINT has not have a new PRE for a long time

Just because you can't buy a webOS device doesnt mean that webOS doesnt exist.

again, webOS is on life support, with a million new users it is not dead.

I am quite happy to see that most people who bought the Touchpad to put Android on it are taken back by how much they like webOS like Marydog here.

give it 6 months, if we hear nothing of any manufacturer making webOS devices, then its dead.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the PC company that HP spins off will come out with some new webOS devices and they'll be like:

"what? we said 'HP' wasnt making new devices...this new computer company technically isnt HP....."

aka we messed up and didn't realise how popular webOS was going to be so we are making this look like our plan all along.
    will the app catalog grow large eventually?

What are your thoughts? Do you think webOS will live on?
    "large?" No it won't grow large. Webos has always struggled to get companies to make apps even before it was discontinued. Considering the the current uncertain status of webos and the very real possibility that you'll never see any more webos hardware I think app development will only get slower. For the time being companies will release whatever is in the works and some may support those but with no growth you're not going to see new apps outside of homebrew type stuff.

I think it will live on only as a novelty for tech nerds, tinkerers, & phone geeks. But it will never be widely used mobile O.S.

My opinion is if you bought a webos device hoping for huge app growth i think you made a poor choice and will be sorely disappointed in the long run.
    Last edited by SnotBoogie; 09/11/2011 at 07:52 PM.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    I think it will live on only as a novelty for tech nerds, tinkerers, & phone geeks. But it will never be widely used mobile O.S.

My opinion is if you bought a webos device hoping for huge app growth i think you made a poor choice and will be sorely disappointed in the long run.
    Sadly, this is the correct answer.

The disparity in quality apps will only continue to grow between android/apple and webos as time goes by. If it is important to you, the TP is not a good choice.

-Suntan
    If u can....get the android...
    L.T.R
    learn teach repeat
  15. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post

I am quite happy to see that most people who bought the Touchpad to put Android on it are taken back by how much they like webOS like Marydog here.

I'm a long-time android user and I prefer the WebOS GUI hands down, it's just smoother and nicer to play with - however as soon (and *if*) as an ice-cream sandwich port becomes available, I'll be installing it on my touchpad.

For me, WebOS has android beat hands down for usability but Android has WebOS beat hands down for usefulness.
    So I'm guessing WebOS on a PC would be a dream now! Oh HP I really wanted to check how WebOS would be on a PC.
    Thats the only thing that im afraid of. I want to start buying apps and stuff, but if it won't grow any larger than it already is (and its pretty small), I might think about going to android.
    My personal opinion (and that is all ANYONE can offer to you) is that it will not grow unless someone picks it up, lock, stock and barrel from HP. Honestly, I don't see that as too likely -- HP drove the market for webOS into the ground.

HOWEVER, having said that -- if you like your TouchPad I would not fear buying some apps (what are you going to spend.... $50 or $100?). You spent less than $149 for your tablet -- if you drop it and pick up iOS or Android, you are going to spend a minimum of $400 and then have to buy apps on top of that too (although you will have a lot bigger choice).

If I were you, I would keep the TouchPad and use it as a "starter tablet". Wait 12 or 18 months and let things in this space shake out and then you could move to a different platform if webOS continues to go nowhere.
  18.    #18  
    Aight. Android it is. I know gingerbread is almost done but I hope honeycomb comes soon
    \

I was aware, but I didn't expect to like webOS so much that I would stay. (my intention was to put android on it)
    That is probably the worst reason to buy a Touchpad. I'm not sure why even anyone who likes Android would want put a lesser version of their favorite OS on a device which will not get official Android support, and will by this time next year be surpassed with hardware which will be too powerful to duplicated on a one year plus (by then) piece of hardware.

This assuming that it can even be done in a satisfactory way with even the 'FroYo' version of their software.

(If the efforts to port Android do not work, look to hear how the 'crappy hardware' couldn't support it, though it was never designed for it.)
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
  20.    #20  
    Actually, they are working on gingerbread now and its almost done and works well! Honeycomb is also coming after that and both of them are reported to support the hp touchpad's hardware.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast