Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    exactly what the title says.
    Hmm port an OS to another OS ? Probably not

sent from my thunderbolt
    beardedspoooon likes this.
    I think that would be awesome, but no one is really working on that. They do the other way around!
    Quote Originally Posted by aziatiklover View Post
    I think that would be awesome, but no one is really working on that. They do the other way around!
    i agree
    Legitimate question... Why?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    No one is working on it because webOS is not an open source software and therefore no one can have the code to port it.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
    Legitimate question... Why?

Why not? WebOS has potential it just the hardware is not done right! Right hardware goes well with the right OS. That's the reason why Apple is so successful!
    Why not? WebOS has potential it just the hardware is not done right! Right hardware goes well with the right OS. That's the reason why Apple is so successful!
    I guess I'm just not seeing the point since the touchpad is very affordable now (even if you buy one from a scalper) and the pre is pretty cheap as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
    I guess I'm just not seeing the point since the touchpad is very affordable now (even if you buy one from a scalper) and the pre is pretty cheap as well.

Yes affordable! However, not everyone could get one at the affordable price. So it's still very limited. As of right now I'm trying to get me a veer at retail price and I can't even find one.
    Quote Originally Posted by viper151 View Post
    No one is working on it because webOS is not an open source software and therefore no one can have the code to port it.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk
    True, but it doesn't have to be open source really on porting an OS to another.
    Well... You would have to reverse engineer it.

Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Just look at the amount of progress for the haiku os project where people have been trying to re-create beos.

10 years later and they still don't have WPA encryption for their wifi driver. It is stuck in the x86 world when everybody already move to x64.
    First of all this topic makes no sense. You cannot "port" an OS to another OS. You could have an emulator that allows you to run apps from one OS onto another (like the Playbook).

Most likely the OP means port webOS to Android hardware. As mentioned earlier, currently this would be illegal as it is owned by HP. Any attempts to reverse engineer would also be illegal. This would only happen if HP open sourced webOS, or HP sold or licensed webOS to another hardware manufacturer.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    No, although you probably will see other mobile operating systems implement some of the usage elements of webOS. WebOS and Android are really just APIs and Interfaces on top of Linux and programs are written to the API, not the underlying low level systems.
    You can not port one OS to another, the OP does not know what he is talking about.
    Hi all,

OK I admit this is extremely out of my area of expertise....however as webOS stands right now, isn't designed to work only with a specific brand and model chip??? I should think that webOS is working on changing that right now to make it more likely that they would be able to license it out...

Take care,

jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Aha, my thorough post answering the OP was removed; imagine that.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    First of all this topic makes no sense. You cannot "port" an OS to another OS. You could have an emulator that allows you to run apps from one OS onto another (like the Playbook).
    RIM is PORTING the open source dalvik vm from Linux to the QNX OS. When you have the source code, it is called porting.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    RIM is PORTING the open source dalvik vm from Linux to the QNX OS. When you have the source code, it is called porting.
    The dalvik vm is an APPLICATION not an OS.

http://www.dalvikvm.com/

Please read all about it, virtual machines are emulators (as I mentioned above).

Again, I will state unequivocally, you cannot port one operating system to another. (whether you have source code or not).
    If there is another hardware on the market that runs on Qualcomm and other chips used in the Pre/TP hardware, then it should not be too hard to port a current version of webOS with pretty much all functionality intact (or with OMAP based Android hardware, perhaps we can port os2.1). Gesture area and other unique features can easily be taken care of through the additional screen real estate on Android devices or using the additional dedicated button often found on them.

In fact I think it would be absolutely awesome to run webOS on some decent Android hardware like the S2.

I am not sure of the legal implications, however. As I understand, HP does not currently allow a re-distribution of their webos code - modified or otherwise. I am pretty sure they habve an Apple like phrase that states their code must only run on their hardware. If not, HP will likely change their license to make it illegal sooner or later as I am sure there are lots of people thinking of porting webOS.

Some foundation or another voluntary organisation will also need to take on the the task of managing all those product registrations and backups, as well as app catalogue stuff that HP servers are handling for their kosher hardware.

But with the webOS dying rapidly, I hope HP will in fact see some light and modify the license to allow such initiatives and to enhance the value of their software.
    Last edited by Amohazab; 09/11/2011 at 09:30 AM.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast