Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes
    If hp is going to continue working on the software, but is abandoning hardware, this is exactly what their engineers should be doing. Unfortunately, that would require basic competence at HP.
    USRobotics Palm Pilot -> Palm 3e -> Treo 180 ->Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Palm Pre
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    The dalvik vm is an APPLICATION not an OS.

DalvikVM.com - Dalvik Virtual Machine insights

Please read all about it, virtual machines are emulators (as I mentioned above).

Again, I will state unequivocally, you cannot port one operating system to another. (whether you have source code or not).
    That's not saying much --- Android OS is a virtual machine residing on top of the linux kernel (along with a few basic native hardware drivers). Classic Blackberry OS is a java me virtual machine.

This is not an academic exercise. This is a real life exercise. Google is calling their dalvik virtual machine (bundling on top of the linux kernel with a bunch of native hardware drivers) as the Android OS. Who are you to question whether Google is labelling their "OS" correctly?
    The upper layers of UI abstraction seem to me to be largely independent of the underlying OS.

That having been said, having spent some time with the Android network source code, I can only hope that Palm and HP spent a little more time under the hood than the Android folks did. Don't even get me started on the VPN stacks in Android.
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    You can not port one OS to another, the OP does not know what he is talking about.
    Port it to an android phone. You assumed I meant port the is onto another os. No need to be rude. I just find it simpler to say android than android hardware........
  5.    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew025 View Post
    Legitimate question... Why?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    bc webOS is dying and the problem has always been the hardware a better question is why wouldn't you want webOS on say the Motorola photon?
    Quote Originally Posted by k_roxas13 View Post
    Port it to an android phone. You assumed I meant port the is onto another os. No need to be rude. I just find it simpler to say android than android hardware........
    It's not so much I assumed wrong then you incorrectly stated the question. I probably wouldn't have said anything if I didn't read your cocky statement, "exactly what the title says"

Since Google doesn't make hardware the only thing that makes something Android is the OS.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    That's not saying much --- Android OS is a virtual machine residing on top of the linux kernel (along with a few basic native hardware drivers). Classic Blackberry OS is a java me virtual machine.

This is not an academic exercise. This is a real life exercise. Google is calling their dalvik virtual machine (bundling on top of the linux kernel with a bunch of native hardware drivers) as the Android OS. Who are you to question whether Google is labelling their "OS" correctly?
    Brew, leave that guy think whatever he wants... He's just like a little kid that doesn't know anything, wait... Is there google at his country?
    -Travis Antonio
    Trakyng Games

Devices:
    -Motorola Atrix 4G (1.5 Ghz) (CM7 Neutrino) (Tegra Hack H^LLA POWERFUL)
    -Palm Pre Plus *DEAD*
    -Palm Pre Plus (Mom).

Never forget to say Thanks, God bless you all.
    There may be some work happening on this project. See the post from the link below.

http://forums.precentral.net/3122363-post402.html
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post

Good point - Touche! (I don't know how to do the accent over the e).
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12