Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Interesting article:

Amazon Should Buy WebOS

I don't think it will ever happen but for those looking for a place to hang their hope, here you go.
    I guess they made the kindle, but in my dream world Sony would buy webOS. Hell Id go for Phillips or Panasonic even.
    I think it would be a great idea...but then I am a little biased Never know though, stranger things have happened. Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan078 View Post
    in my dream world Sony would buy webOS.
    Do NOT want!
    Best article I ever read on Gizmodo.
    Amazon would be a good fit, but I think HP is bent on running webOS into the ground. I doubt HP will sell.
  6. aod
    I think Amazon buying webOS is a great idea. They definitely have the funds to support it. They for sure couldn't do any worse than what HP has done to it. I personally have never owned a webOS product before the Touchpad and I think it's a fantastic platform. Super easy to use and very intuitive. I've tried the Android tablets and I think they are an absolute mess of a merger between tablet and OS; horrible IMHO. I say go for it Amazon.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    It would have made some sense awhile ago, however it sounds like the Kindle tablet is pretty much ready to go, and Amazon already has invested a lot into modifying Android. I can't imagine why they'd want to start over on a project that's nearly complete... after all, they don't seem nearly as dysfunctional as HP.
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Amazon are not interested in a general purpose tablet they are interested in a device that helps you buy stuff from them. That is why they build their own android store and have built their custom GUI for their folked version of android which is based around that idea.

The devices have been seen by people, they are being built and it likely we will see them before Christmas.

Amazon are simply too far gone with their plans, for WebOS to be of interest to them.
    HI all,

I also doubt it will happen, but I love the idea!

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    HI all,

I just thought of this...

...this is out of my area of expertise so please tell me if this is doable.

There's an article I posted the other day, it stated that Amazon created a OS that basically works as an overlay to Android.

Since each company to a limited degree customizes Android, they thought it might be confusing to go from one Android devise to another....

So they made it look like their own OS by making a user friendly overlay...The look an feel is an OS that is Amazon's but it really is Android under the Amazon's very user friendly OS....

Can't Amazon do this to webOS if they were to buy it or license it from HP? How hard or expensive would it be to do so? By having total control of the OS they can customize it even more than they have...

Plus Amazon has a huge infrastructure fro Music, ebooks, apps, etc...

This is why I never understood why Amazon didn't buy webOS when it was up for sale or HP didn't cut a deal with Amazon the minute they bought Palm....

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Keep in mind that, by forking Android, Amazon essentially has their own custom operating system that they can update, release, and modify on their own timetable. What would be the benefit of licensing webOS when they already have their own OS and aren't beholden to Google for any aspect of its operation?
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    That is one thing I really like about android being open source and free to use. A company can take it and customize it to their liking to make it their own. HTC has done an incredible job with HTC sense which takes android and makes it a lot better with their own skin and custom apps that are really good.
    Yup. And that's just skinning. Amazon has taken it a step further by forking Android completely. So they now have the full source code for whatever AOSP build they forked and can make it their own. When you pair that with their existing Amazon App Store, it just doesn't make sense to license a completely different operating system and give up your existing developer support.
    Hi all,

The problem that I can see down the road is that Google will likely become a competitor for Amazon...Don't you expect that Google will come out with a Android tablet that is made by Motorola which by that time Google will then own and control?????

Google is upending the apple cart, (pardon the pun), by buying Motorola...now they aren't just the creator of the OS now they are competitor.....

The biggest question of all is why would Amazon want to use software as an OS that promotes it's own competitor???

Android may be free for anyone to license, however everyone from here to Timbuktu knows that Google makes it... Every time a review of any Android product comes out Google's name is peppered all over the place.....

Google originally created Android because they wanted brand recognition so that people would think of Google and say, "hay why not do my next Internet search with Google" and that is how Google makes money from all of this...

Amazon may very well want reviewers to say Amazon which is using it's wholly owned OS and the name Google won't be associated with it at all.

Why should Amazon want Google to keep getting name recognition and in effect free advertising when they are all the competitor of Google???

I'm sure a lot of the firms that use Android are very concerned that they have so freely used and customized Android, but now every time the name Android is used people will think "why worry about firms over customizing and splintering the market for an HTC or a Samsung smartphone or tablet, when I can buy a Motorola phone or tablet and the OS will be by the creator or Android?"....which is exactly what Google wants people to think.

Amazon is a 3000 lbs gorilla...it because of their sheer size they can do as they wish and their tablet will be a success...after all they were much smarter than HP....they are selling it for well beyond cost and they have a huge infrastructure...they will make their money on all of the things that people will download and they will make money b/c people will see their other products for sale at the same time the download a song, a book or an app....

That's why I never understood why HP didn't cut a deal with Amazon BEFORE they bought Palm/webOS...

This way they would have been a pipeline to download with...I'm sure in the industry many people expected & greatly feared sooner or later that Google would do just what it's doing getting into the hardware end of the business....in a way on the backs of other hardware makers....

After all Google created Android OS, but they are far from the only ones that made Android a success....the other firms that made the hardware are just as responsible.

I just wonder why Amazon would want to keep in effect lining the pockets of Google while they are a competitor.

Also down the road do we know that Google may not give a full next version of Android to other firms and keep the full next version of the OS for it's own hardware division AKA Motorola??

It's food for thought.

Take care,

Jay
    Amazon is not a world seller electronics products; in other words, we gonna back to a "small Palm"...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Google doesn't benefit from Amazon forking Android, though. Amazon is already a full version behind since Honeycomb isn't hitting AOSP. We shouldn't be thinking of the Kindle tablet as Google Android because it's actually Amazon's Kindle Operating System That Just Happens To Run Android Apps.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Amazon is not a world seller electronics products; in other words, we gonna back to a "small Palm"...

Best Regards...
    No, they actually have a market place called amazon.com that can easily offset the cost of owning and running webos. If they had a webos device for eg with it's own marketplace with an incentive to use it rather than a web browser. For eg an extra 1-5% off an item or free shipping ala Prime membership if purchased via their device instead of a desktop or competing platform's browser or app. Or video streaming limited to it's own devices, the possibilities are endless to leverage their platform. Plus the margins are much higher than with current app stores that only sell software. This is what HP and Palm lacked.
    Makes sense but I'm not holding my breath.
    Pre 3
    HP touchpad
    Uberkernel running @ 1.5 Ghz
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    Best article I ever read on Gizmodo.
    Amazon would be a good fit, but I think HP is bent on running webOS into the ground. I doubt HP will sell.
    If HP gets an offer, they will sell. Leo is in the hotseat, and selling it off helps the stock price.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    No, they actually have a market place called amazon.com that can easily offset the cost of owning and running webos. If they had a webos device for eg with it's own marketplace with an incentive to use it rather than a web browser. For eg an extra 1-5% off an item or free shipping ala Prime membership if purchased via their device instead of a desktop or competing platform's browser or app. Or video streaming limited to it's own devices, the possibilities are endless to leverage their platform. Plus the margins are much higher than with current app stores that only sell software. This is what HP and Palm lacked.
    Makes sense but I'm not holding my breath.
    But, again, how does using webOS benefit Amazon over using their own forked Android build? I can think of a handful of drawbacks but I can't think of any benefits to Amazon.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Keep in mind that, by forking Android, Amazon essentially has their own custom operating system that they can update, release, and modify on their own timetable. What would be the benefit of licensing webOS when they already have their own OS and aren't beholden to Google for any aspect of its operation?
    The benefit would be that they don't have to worry nearly as much about Apple suing them to try slowing down their ability to compete.
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    The benefit would be that they don't have to worry nearly as much about Apple suing them to try slowing down their ability to compete.
    They can't be that concerned about patent infringement if they greenlit the Android tablet despite all the litigation going around.

Besides, the Bloomberg report on the lawsuit HTC filed against Apple mentions that Palm sold some patents to Google last year. They could be covered.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast