Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By kill_dano
  1.    #1  
    I see way to many rumors started by bloggers and posters simply making stuff up, so I'm going to try to get these ducks in a row, here.

Facts:
    1. HP decides on a paradigm shift.
    2. webOS GBU's hardware division immediately halts.
    3. They intend to spin off the PC division while continuing building and selling PCs.
    4. HP, weeks later, decides to move webOS's hardware division to the PSG with the spinoff.
    5. Work continues on webOS software in spite of having shot that platform in the face.
    6. Limited promo codes for free apps are handed out frequently, perhaps to keep the buzz alive.

What I gather from this:
    -HP never hinted at surrendering webOS itself.
    -HP has no intention on building webOS hardware.
    -HP will have a hard time licensing an OS that they so loudly rejected by killing device operations before moving that division to the PSG. That makes about as much sense as killing off all PC manufacturing before spinning off that arm of the company.

Which begs the question:
    Why did HP force such a harsh dead-end on a platform they are continuing to promote with special offers and outdated television ads?

What in the world could they possibly hope to do with this? Everything that they should do does not appear to be consistent with what they are doing now. So what options could they actually be considering?
    Recover a little of the costs via firesale. Without promotion, no-one I their right mind would purchase a completely dead platform. Plus, by getting the remaining stock in consumer's hands they have at least a shot at licensing or selling the OS.

Without the firesale and promotion all they have left is a giant writeoff and no ability to recoup any costs.

Will it work - don't know. But it does at least give it a chance.
    HP as a company is too big. Too many people in charge. Too many different opinions. CEO changed. Old CEO had ideas for webOS; new CEO doesn't seem to have them. It also seems the current CEO likes to make snap decisions without considering the consequences. They have been going back and force on webOS since the announcement. First announcement was "suspending webOS device operations"
    The word "operations" is not the same as "manufacturing" It sounds more like webOS would just stop being developed.

Since then they started back pedaling. They said we are not quitting on webOS. They have made updates. They are building more Touchpads.

No one is going to license webOS expect maybe PSG. HP isn't going to do anything with webOS until that happens. It's about to get very quite after October. It will probably feel like before the feb9th announcement for another year and a half, until PSG get's it's stuff together as a new company. By the time that happens, who knows.
    SmartFah likes this.
    Why? Simple. Remember the same man (Leo) who body slammed webOS didn't miraculously have a change of heart (or sense). It's simply to keep interest in the product and make it as attractive as it can be while it continues to shop it around. I firmly believe they have had interest as they have said, however Samsungs latest nod to meego instead of webOS has to tell you something. I don't think HP intends on selling webOS. At all. It's license or bust at this point and they are doing a great job at keeping interest alive but they are stuck with cars and kitchen appliances right now. I seriously doubt anyone else is going to license it in the mobile sector. As much as I hate to say it, we're about 12 months away from webOS being picked up by someone else. It will take that long before HP gives up trying to license it and finally sell it, possibly back to its spun off personal systems group. It would be very ironic and would fit nicely given Palm's history.

Anyway - that is my theory. HP can do some serious tweaking to webOS over the next 12 months while they complete the spin off of their PSG. I would think in the back of their mind they know they'll always be able to sell their webOS investment back to their "new" start up company. In the mean time, we're all just along for the ride and a slow, boring ride its going to be. Hopefully we'll at least see the fruits of their labor with consistent updates to webOS.

It's not webOS holding webOS back right now. It's HP.
    Last edited by mattbrad2; 09/09/2011 at 03:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by treo2die4 View Post
    no-one I their right mind would purchase a completely dead platform.
    The platform is far from dead. Right now. In fact, I'd say the exact opposite. You'd have to be a fool not to want to purchase it outright right now. You know Samsung had to have made an offer. For Gods sake, they're interested in meego of all things. The problem is Leo is still calling the shots and he's not wanting to just sell off HP's 1.2Bil investment just yet. He's an ***** and will look at what profits he can get from these fringe markets that none of us care about. I don't want webOS on my microwave.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mattbrad2 View Post
    It will take that long before HP gives up trying to license it and finally sell it, possibly back to its spun off personal systems group. It would be very ironic and would fit nicely given Palm's history.
    Hah, PalmSource and PalmOne all over again. I wonder if that's the best we can hope for.

It is interesting how they decided on the price point to sell off the Touchpads. Usually liquidations try to milk as much money off things as possible and step it up over time. 30% off, then 40%, and so on. They just went straight to 80% off right from the getgo and the userbase boomed.

Still, after this final run of Touchpads are sold the user base cannot grow, not until something just as epic happens.
    You'd have to be a fool not to want to purchase it outright right now.
    Wow, why aren't you working for these companies right now? Oh, I see, you've got no concept of reality!
  8.    #8  
    Well, I'd hardly call HTC, for example, of being foolish for not wanting to purchase webOS outright right now. :P

Still, I don't understand what HP would be doing with webOS, keeping it and developing it, when they outright cut off all possible revenue streams derived from it. It doesn't make sense. Perhaps that's not quite correct as there is still the app catalog for legacy devices, but come on.
    You'd have to be a fool not to want to purchase it outright right now.

-Suntan