Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cantaffordit
  1.    #1  
    LET'S KEEP WEBOS ALIVE!!

OK, here me out please. I was driving home from work today and thought of this idea that could be a WebOS saver. Let's face it, there are many many people who still love WebOS and are devastated that the Pre 3 is done for. I know there are workarounds with getting a UK one and getting it on AT&T, but I don't know for sure all the details. This is my point of this thread:

There are so many geniuses on this site who have helped keep us WebOS fanatics still using this wonderful operating system. I would love to learn what they know!! I live in Rhode Island and think it would be great to get a seminar going for WebOS users who still want to learn and not give up on WebOS. I was one of the lucky ones to get the Touchpad and it was like I had it for years when I turned it on. I knew all of the little tricks and swipes to start using it with no problem, but I have a lot to learn. I still have my Pre- running 1.4.5!! I do not want to part ways with it. I can't find another phone with an operating system I like. Let's not forget the Touchstone and that we all probably have between 3 and 10 of them each (I have 6).

To the point, wouldn't it be great to have the Homebrew team, location specific of course, to teach us non-programmers, yet computer savvy people what they know. I would pay at least $20 for an entry fee. I want to know everything about WebOS. I want to know how these guys (and gals) rooted, wrote the codes, created the Homebrew apps, created patches, and shake the hand of the person who created Preware!!

Like I said before, I live in Rhode Island and don't know if there are a majority of Homebrewers in any certain geographical region of the US, or the World for that matter. I am really curious as to what you all think of this sit down. Wouldn't that create a stir in the tech websites and media if we could put something together that shows how badly we don't want this operating system to fall of the face of the earth? Start with regional gatherings, and see how it works, then go national, and then take over the globe and meet in Uganda (ok bad example). Who's with me?

Sincerely,

Dan (the guy who sends posts with pea soup, rob rudge darby the dingbat, and other idiotic phrases that mean nothing just for the simple fact the I am so grateful to this website and all the people who have worked so hard to keep it the number one WebOS site out there).

Oh, and moderators, feel free to move this to any forum where you think it will get the most views please.
    Last edited by voltageROCK; 09/08/2011 at 07:39 PM.
    I am equivalent to a man dammit.
  2.    #2  
    Dang, i thought there would be at least someone responding by now!! Is WebOS dead?
    Great idea. Best thing you can do is start looking thru the code patches. Do the devs here use GitHub repository? If so look thru those commits and before you know it you'll grasp what's going on. I guess webOS doesn't have custom "roms" in the sense that android has?
    I think a webinar might be a bit more feasible.
    Sounds like a good idea though.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by RayStinkle View Post
    Great idea. Best thing you can do is start looking thru the code patches. Do the devs here use GitHub repository? If so look thru those commits and before you know it you'll grasp what's going on. I guess webOS doesn't have custom "roms" in the sense that android has?
    I was talkin to my friend who was flashin his ROM (He has the Motorola Atrix), and he asked me if WebOS can do it and I really don't know. As far as your suggestions, that is definitely possible, but I'd rather sit down with someone who knows exactly how to teach it. I've learned so much with the help of this site, but I think my mind is saturated with my Electrical Engineering job that I don't really want to come home and learn more on my own. I'd rather pay someone for lessons in WebOS capabilities. Soup.
    we don't need roms, we have preware
    Finally Pre likes this.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    we don't need roms, we have preware
    Yeah but there is no way to flash the rom so that all the features that we get from our patches stay permanently, in effect being apart of a stock device? I know the answer to that anyway. Then the updates won't work properly and jazz like that.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by RayStinkle View Post
    you are a brilliant man.
    You can flash ROMs. That is how you get Ubuntu running on the TouchPad. Everytime you doctor your device you are flashing the stock ROM. Last time I doctored it flashed by custom meta doctored one with Preware, testing feeds, 5 GB Ubuntu partition, and a few other things on to my TouchPad.

Oh, and if you would like to learn to do a few things try out my Ubuntu tutorial over in the development forum. If you have any questions or want to do some random awesome thing to your TouchPad just ask ;-)
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne