View Poll Results: Is there any point in developing new webOS apps?

Voters
60. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, go make some good apps already.

49 81.67%
  • No, waste of time.

4 6.67%
  • Wait until the future of the platform becomes more clear.

7 11.67%
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Jason Robitaille
  • 3 Post By HaydnH
  1.    #1  
    As a new webOS user (via my Pre 3), is there any point whatsoever in downloading the SDK, picking up the docs, and learning to develop new webOS apps?
    For the short term (next 4-6months), definitely. webOS has boomed quickly and has a fresh new userbase willing to buy apps.

As for the long term, that's questionable, mainly as webOS's future right now is uncertain at best. Though chances are 4-6months from now, we'll know the answer to that.
    If you've liked my software, please consider to towards future development.

Developer of many apps such as: WebOS Quick Install, WebOS Theme Builder, Ipk Packager, Unified Diff Creator, Internalz Pro, ComicShelf HD, LED Torch, over 70 patches and more.

@JayCanuck @CanuckCoding Facebook
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    As a new TP owner and current owner of a Droid X, I'm pretty happy with the experience of my TP with the help of Prepare patches, apps, etc. However, there are a few apps on Android that I'd like to see ported, and a few already on WebOS that need updated. I'd love to see Citrix updated from a technical preview and several tablet optimized versions of current WebOS apps such as Pandora and Evernote.
    I studied software engineering at university and have done plenty of web development since although I've been doing more application layer support recently for market data platforms. I've been using PalmOS for god knows how long and using WebOS since the Pre- was released in the UK but never created an app.

As a huge WebOS fan I see this latest obstacle in the products life as a call to arms for all developers - while I'm not expecting to make any money, if it's helps WebOS survive I may start developing... there's only one app I'm considering so far as it's something I really want on the device.

I downloaded the SDK/PDK and setup a cross compiler yesterday and started researching third party c++ SDKs for the type of app I want to build.
    bluenote, cobrakon and sylau90 like this.
    Looking rationally at it I'd say:

* If you have an app almost finished, or a Pre app close to update for TP - finish it and get some income from the sudden influx of firesale customers.

* Alternatively if you have an idea for a potentially popular app that won't cost much to develop - consider doing it - quickly. For a short while there will be a demand spike from all these new TP, Veer, Pre3 (and even Pre2) owners. And not much competition.

* Medium to long term - nope. At his point the user base peaked for a moment and can only go downhill. New hardware is not likely and without new hardware there are no new customers.

Of course if webos gets saved at the last minute *again* (next time hopefully by somebody with a vision beyond a few months and who actually wants to be in consumer hardware) then this should be reconsidered. But for now one should not make expensive long term bets on this platform.

I'm a hardcore fan who's likely to stay on webos for another couple of years (if my hunt for a Pre3 ends successfully).
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    WebOS is not dead. HP will still support WebOS they just don't want to make hardware anymore. i feel that HP wants to be to WebOS what Google is to Android.
    yes, Hagster needs apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by sryidc View Post
    WebOS is not dead. HP will still support WebOS they just don't want to make hardware anymore. i feel that HP wants to be to WebOS what Google is to Android.
    Sorry, but this is wrong! You could say "for now HP is saying they will support webOS... ". But they will drop it very quickly if nobody else produces any hardware.

Don't believe me? Go back and look at posts from the beginning August - every one of the kool-aid drinkers was saying "HP will not let the Pre3 /TouchPad fail, blah, blah, blah".

When HP realizes no one is willing to pickup their thirds on webOS hardware webOS will be killed too...
    Quote Originally Posted by tholap View Post
    Looking rationally at it I'd say:

* If you have an app almost finished, or a Pre app close to update for TP - finish it and get some income from the sudden influx of firesale customers.

* Alternatively if you have an idea for a potentially popular app that won't cost much to develop - consider doing it - quickly. For a short while there will be a demand spike from all these new TP, Veer, Pre3 (and even Pre2) owners. And not much competition.

* Medium to long term - nope. At his point the user base peaked for a moment and can only go downhill. New hardware is not likely and without new hardware there are no new customers.

Of course if webos gets saved at the last minute *again* (next time hopefully by somebody with a vision beyond a few months and who actually wants to be in consumer hardware) then this should be reconsidered. But for now one should not make expensive long term bets on this platform.

I'm a hardcore fan who's likely to stay on webos for another couple of years (if my hunt for a Pre3 ends successfully).
    Just quote myself again..

400 apps and counting...not bad for a "dead" device and platform eh? The TPad launched with 305 apps and now has 402 as of Friday. AND big name apps to boot. (GLU Mobile, Britannica, Fidelity Mutual, etc.

Device sales > drive app sales > drive devs

Remember the platform waited 18 months for the next device and devs built apps and the catalog grew. That there is no device ready for sales tomorrow is nothing new and we are in a better position since almost a million TPad units were sold.

There were 2 at the office, now there are 9, and after people tried it, many more are now on the hunt. Good things can only come from devices in user hands no matter *how* they got there
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Sorry, but this is wrong! You could say "for now HP is saying they will support webOS... ". But they will drop it very quickly if nobody else produces any hardware.

Don't believe me? Go back and look at posts from the beginning August - every one of the kool-aid drinkers was saying "HP will not let the Pre3 /TouchPad fail, blah, blah, blah".

When HP realizes no one is willing to pickup their thirds on webOS hardware webOS will be killed too...
    "Kool-aid drinkers"? Do you like being obnoxious? How is not expecting a company abandon a billion dollar investment 6 weeks into a campaign being a" kool-aid drinker"? Even people who weren't fans OS were suprised at HP's lack of resolve.

Not to mention the change in CEO's had on this entire deal.

If I was not on a mobile device, I'd flag your post. Not for it's content - I don't trust HP either, but for it's insulting tone.
    your starting to act like a mod :-)

webos development for phones has and is stagnant.
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    "Kool-aid drinkers"? Do you like being obnoxious? How is not expecting a company abandon a billion dollar investment 6 weeks into a campaign being a" kool-aid drinker"? Even people who weren't fans OS were suprised at HP's lack of resolve.

Not to mention the change in CEO's had on this entire deal.

If I was not on a mobile device, I'd flag your post. Not for it's content - I don't trust HP either, but for it's insulting tone.
    Not obnoxious, just a realist. I love webOS, but i also don't subscribe to the belief that even though I love it that everything will come up smelling like roses.

You're right, "kool-aid drinkers " is harsh, but there is little other way to describe people who are still proclaiming that the Titanic isn't sinking.

HP handled this terribly, and cut off their nose to spite their face.

Now, where I am different is that I will be one of the first ones to admit I was wrong IF this turns around. webOS was my first love for a smartphone OS. I'm just not sure that it will work out long term.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Not obnoxious, just a realist. I love webOS, but i also don't subscribe to the belief that even though I love it that everything will come up smelling like roses.

You're right, "kool-aid drinkers " is harsh, but there is little other way to describe people who are still proclaiming that the Titanic isn't sinking.

HP handled this terribly, and cut off their nose to spite their face.

Now, where I am different is that I will be one of the first ones to admit I was wrong IF this turns around. webOS was my first love for a smartphone OS. I'm just not sure that it will work out long term.
    Maybe I'm missing something, but there were very few claiming that HP would save webOS AFTER the announcement. For every one you find in this forum there are easily 10 who were saying this is the end.

Before that announcement, there were few who believed that HP would bail out so quickly and without putting up any fight. I'm going to love reading the book that will be written about this fiasco, I'm sure it will rank up there with the financial scandals for utter corporate stupidity. And If HP doesn't survive... the service and software market is very competitive too... It will become required reading for future MBA's.

As long as HP is in control don't have much hope for the future, but since they trashed the brand so badly, I don't see anyone buying it now. In this respect I would never be happier to be wrong either.

Peace,

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    Before that announcement, there were few who believed that HP would bail out so quickly and without putting up any fight.
    Before their announcment, I predicted that they were getting out of the smartphone business (http://forums.precentral.net/hp-pre-...ml#post3063428). But I NEVER thought they would bail on the TouchPad.

I too will love reading the book -- there will be text books written about this whole fiasco.