1.    #1  
    My old cell phone is dying and I've outgrown my current plan, so it's time for me to move on. However, since the pre 3 isn't coming to Canada anymore and the pre 2 was just removed from Rogers, I have to move to a different platform as far as my phone goes (will be keeping my TouchPad).

So just like the topic title says, which (other) mobile OS has the strongest resemblance to the one and only webOS? I've been eyeing Windows Phone 7 or Black Berry 7/future QNX phone.

I am in school at the moment, so while I'd like to watch tons of videos and go to stores and demo and all the jazz, I don't really have the time to. So I'm asking you guys instead.
    I'm a big fan of windows phone. With the new update, you've got the multitasking 'cards' like on webOS. But I'd wait for the newer mango hardware to be released. Im in love with the Titan that was announced.
  3.    #3  
    When you say "mango hardware", does that mean the older phones won't be getting the update? I thought I saw video of Mango running on the Samsung Focus?
    windows phone 7 looks GREAT! except for one thing.

Press and hold to multitask. My Nexus S has that, and whoever thought of it should be fired. The whole point of multitasking is to QUICKLY change between open applications. Pressing, and holding is counter intuitive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Viewtiful_Jon View Post
    When you say "mango hardware", does that mean the older phones won't be getting the update? I thought I saw video of Mango running on the Samsung Focus?
    Older phones will be getting the update as far as I understand.

Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post

Press and hold to multitask. My Nexus S has that, and whoever thought of it should be fired. The whole point of multitasking is to QUICKLY change between open applications. Pressing, and holding is counter intuitive.
    What about pressing that physical button on the original pre. Same concept. I've been running mango for a couple of weeks now and its been working great for me. I cant complain.

No, that's called task switching.
  7.    #7  
    I guess any mobile OS will feel jarring in the multi-tasking department so long as I continue to use the TouchPad. No real way around that.

I did love the Metro UI back when NI owned a Zune HD, but I sold that because of how restrictive the software sync was. Is similar software necessary for Windows Phone? Also, part of why I'm considering Black Berry is the amazing QWERTY keyboard on the new Bold.

...geez this would be so much easier if the Pre 3 would just come out up here.
    Perhaps you could snag a used Pre 2? Doesn't matter if the carrier isn't selling them if they're still around.
  9.    #9  
    Yeah I considered that route but I would end up paying almost $200 for one off contract locally. I almost had one for $115, but after I spent an hour bussing to the meetup place, he never showed up and promptly reposted the ad a couple days later. Sigh.

At that pricing, it just makes more sense to go straight to the carrier and get a plan-subsidized phone...
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    I think the closet we can get to webOS is Meego-Harmattan or Nokia N9.
    I really hope someone sells them in USA.
    Nokia's hardware is always stunning esp. N series but its the apps that worries me. On bright side Nokia has moved to QT platform across all hardware so whatever runs on symbian
    ^3 will also run on N9 (fingers crossed).
  11.    #11  
    Yeah, my current, several years old phone is a Nokia XpressMusic, so I know all about their hardware.

Too bad about the N9, but that does remind me of the Nokia Windows Phones coming out.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts

yeah it's not very quick, and theres no way to just quit whats opened like in WebOS. I kept wanting to just swipe it off, because I figured thats how you'd do it. But no. It's just "fast app switching"
    WP7 is in no way closer to webos. the closest thing you will get would be maemo/meego phone. your other bet would be android. wp7 is in the world of its own and in no way resembles webos. its is limited in features, uncostomizable and just plain dull.

i own original pre, maemo and android phones. when i got a chance to use wp7 it was a very unsatisfying and disappointing experience. Since it looks like all good OSes keep getting flushed your best bet would be to stick with android IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by gill_za View Post
    WP7 is in no way closer to webos. the closest thing you will get would be maemo/meego phone. your other bet would be android. wp7 is in the world of its own and in no way resembles webos. its is limited in features, uncostomizable and just plain dull.

i own original pre, maemo and android phones. when i got a chance to use wp7 it was a very unsatisfying and disappointing experience. Since it looks like all good OSes keep getting flushed your best bet would be to stick with android IMO.

maemo/meego is a dead OS. You've got no idea what youre talking about. check out windows phone mango and see all of the features the new operating system offers. wp7 is so much prettier than android and is actually a pretty decent alternative.

I dont see how you can see its limited in its features.

Customization, sure ish. There are a default set of themes that you can pick for your phone and thats it.
    Closest is N9 Harmattan , it is as dead as WebOS and also has a great user interface and even greater community.

Of course it depends what you will do with it. If you can live without the Linux command line, prefer not to be the single loser one the party that has not Android, iPhone or WP7, if you just need WebOS equivalence for multitasking purpose, you may indeed wait till MS has finished steal .. eu borrowing the concepts of cleverly built smaller OS user interfaces, as some have indicated may take be taken to the next level with Mango.