Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI. See link.

take care,

jay

Why exactly wasn't webOS widely adopted?
    2886 viewsEvan Selleck - Today at 4:10 PM

Why exactly wasn't webOS widely adopted? | PhoneDog
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I think, ultimately, the things webOS did better than Android and iOS just weren't meaningful to the majority of consumers. In contrast, the things Android and iOS did better than webOS are the things people really seem to care about.
    TheSpike likes this.
    Hardware- Hardware for webos has always been mediocre. It lacked variation and the the build quality for the Pre was terrible.

Software- The OS is slow, buggy, and missing a lot of basic features.

Apps- That's a no brainer.

Leadership- It seemed that Palm nor Hp cared for the growth of Webos.
    Last edited by koolkid09; 09/03/2011 at 07:58 PM.
    mitchell209#WN and merphie like this.
    They never produced the hardware people wanted.

And also: price.

I'm not suggesting they should have priced it like the touchpad fire sale, but price had to be a competitive advantage. They should have been willing to lose money for 1-2 years in order to make massive margins in the following 4-5 years. I had a hard time recommending ANY released webOS device simply because the hardware wasn't competitive. And I couldn't recommend the the software because the devices lacked applications, and performance. Sure the UI was nicer, but that wasn't enough for me to recommend it to anyone. The pre3 would have cost around 150-170 to produce. They could have sold it to carriers for 200, and to consumers for 250 unlocked. I would of bought one without even thinking about it, and would have also purchased one for my brother. The contract price should have been "free".

They could have gotten 20-30 million devices out there, and then raised the price by $50 the following generation, and $50 the generation after that and went to a very profitable business.
    I really think Palm backed the wrong horse with the multitasking thing -- especially when you consider how slow webOS is to begin with. And when you factor how webOS never did have meaningful apps to actually multitask, it sort of becomes a negative rather than a bullet point that people care about.
    First, Palm was stupid. They didn't give developers what they needed to develop apps when the original pre was announced.

second, they took too long to release the original pre.

third, they were dumb enough to let sprint be their only carrier.

then HP repeated the pattern after they bought palm, only to get it almost right with the touchpad.

simple as that.
    not even close to enough apps
    OS was lacking many features on other platforms (webos lovers think its' perfect but most unbiased people can see that, like all o.s.'s there are flaws) Yep. I said it. Webos was not perfect.
    Laggy os
    The hardware was not the form factor or the sexy design appeal that consumers want.
    Ridiculously slow and unambitious were Palm and HP when it came to updating the o.s., offering new features and offering new phones.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    webOS failed because its parent had no money and its foster-parent had no sense.
    Compounding reasons that everyone here already knows:

- playing tease and not releasing a handset for 1/2 a year after announcing
    - a phone that couldn't last more than 4 months
    - oreo
    - lag, lag, lag
    - bugs, bugs, bugs
    - ruby, then leotard
    - alien lady
  10.    #10  
    Hi all,

I keep thinking Wall Street hasn't be at all please by Leo's antics....I would love to be at the Annual meeting when Leo HAS to face the music...

Take care and enjoy the Holiday,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    WebOS didn't fail, people.

Pay attention.. it is still being supported and developed.

WebOS hardware is currently not being produced any more, but, that could theoretically change, with the announcement of WebOS being separated from the PSG, which is being spun off from HP.

The ONLY real, rational reason WebOS never became popular was because it never got the publicity it needed at the right times, and nothing more, or less.

But, this latest HP fiasco is turning out to be a rather costly, but highly effective PRPRPR $campaign$ $for$ $it$.. $everyone$ $is$ $following$ $it$ $now$; $if$ $HP$ $decides$ $to$ $sell$ $an$ $unlocked$ $Pre$ $3$ $for$ $$300$ $or$ $so$, $they$'$d$ $not$ $be$ $able$ $to$ $make$ $enough$ $to$ $satisfy$ $demand$.

If they want a piece of the smartphone and tablet market, the opportunity is now, and here.

Again, WebOS never failed; the article is incorrect and misleading.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

ilovedessert likes this.
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,502 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Again, WebOS never failed; the article is incorrect and misleading.

It's failed and it failed hard - it's hardware was killed and firesaled and it force it's owner to make a $1 billion charge against revenue. That is very clear failure. Why it failed is a complex question related to many factors but they do not change the end result.

Yes if someone else decided to make hardware for it that could change - but nobody is at present.

Yes if HP decided to do a complete 180 then it could change - but there is no evidence of that.

That it might come again in the future is a different aspect of the story entirely but not germane to the discussion at hand as nobody can read the future. At present as a product line, it's an abject failure.
    The ONLY real, rational reason WebOS never became popular was because it never got the publicity it needed at the right times, and nothing more, or less.
    So apart from weak apps, laggy and buggy software, confusing interface, the missing of basic features, and terrible hardware. Popularity was the main reason it failed(or in your case, just struggling right now)?
    all of the above are in some way or shape correct.

BUT...to all the naysayers. The original pre, despite the lag in release and availability only on sprint, still sold over a million plus devices and was indeed sprint's best seller before the evo came about. Then all the factors mentioned above by the other posters came into play.

bad timing, bad assessment of market conditions (release after droid on vzw, release on att after one year, pixi/veer
    form factors as opposed to larger screens) made things worse.

but...the touchpad came out, and has been a top selling tablet...even if aided by a firesale. We found that there IS a market for webOS devices.

so there are 2 success stories- original pre, and the touchpad, in terms of sheer number of sales and popularity for webos, all be it both have been and will be short lived.

But had HP had any vision, any guts, any balls, I'm sure they could have carved a market for webOS devices. Who cares if we are second to the ipad? Does everyone drive a toyota or
    mercedes? Does everyone own a sony tv? Does everyone use apple devices and itunes? Simple answer is NO...NO. NO. NO. This is what drives me crazy about palm (who agreed did not have the resources to do so) and even more so about HP ( who does have the
    resources). The simple answer to their problems would have been to pump out hardware- phones, tablets, in all form factors and sizes- at a dizzying pace, like they do with their stupid laptops and printers. Have the products
    AVAILABLE, and VISIBLE, and continue MARKETING...and they would have been more successful.

I walk into a vzw store and I see 3-5
    motorola android devices (droid 3, X2, citrus, droid pro, and soon the be released bionic), 3 htc devices (trophy with winmo, thunderbolt, incredible 2), and other android phones from samsung, casio, lg. Then there's one
    iphone and 2 blackberries, and NO hp phones...guess how many pre2s are gonna be sold??? I mean how stupid can hp be? I don't buy the carrier argument either because hp is running their servers and selling netbooks these stores, and guess which computers are running at the customer service desk...

the simple solution, regardless of webOS's deficiencies as an OS (as some cite above), was to make more hardware available. The pre 2, veer, pre3, and rumored slab phone should have come out bang bang bang- feb, march, april, and may (last should have been the veer in may) and on verizon and att, and at prices undercutting their competitors. Then one would walk into these stores and no doubt more webOS
    devices would have been sold.

then would come the devs, more resources, and impetus to improve the software at a faster and more effective pace...

instead...we have the dire situation we are in now. Hp needed a vision...microsoft is slowly building their base. Apple roped people in after years of selling ipods before the phones came in...and hp...well they chose just to give up to satisfy their stockholders.

I will never purchase another hp product again, if it doesn't have webos on a phone or tablet.

end rant...for now.

so frickin ****ed.
    ilovedessert, Rnp and Bacstar like this.
    WebOS didn't fail, people.

Pay attention.. it is still being supported and developed.

WebOS hardware is currently not being produced any more, but, that could theoretically change, with the announcement of WebOS being separated from the PSG, which is being spun off from HP.
    Wow. With no hardware on the horizon just what, exactly, is webOS going to run on? Without a manufacturer stepping forward within the next 5 months, HP will kill webOS altogether.

The funny thing is that HP almost did it. They managed to get thousands of people to think webOS = TouchPad. Yet, it wasn't until after they killed it that people came to that realization...
    Trekker likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Wow. With no hardware on the horizon just what, exactly, is webOS going to run on? Without a manufacturer stepping forward within the next 5 months, HP will kill webOS altogether.

The funny thing is that HP almost did it. They managed to get thousands of people to think webOS = TouchPad. Yet, it wasn't until after they killed it that people came to that realization...
    I'll just quote myself this one:

Quote Originally Posted by Me
    400 apps and counting...not bad for a "dead" device and platform eh? The TPad launched with 305 apps and now has 402 as of Friday. AND big name apps to boot. (GLU Mobile, Britannica, Fidelity Mutual, etc.

Device sales > drive app sales > drive devs

Remember the platform waited 18 months for the next device and devs built apps and the catalog grew. That there is no device ready for sales tomorrow is nothing new and we are in a better position since almost a million TPad units were sold.

There were 2 at the office, now there are 9, and after people tried it, many more are now on the hunt. Good things can only come from devices in user hands no matter *how* they got there
    Rnp, ilovedessert and Bo like this.

atm people are feverishly trying to get droid os/software on the touchpad, wouldnt it be ironic if webOS was also pushed the other way, theres your future hardware, androids or w/e else is available.
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    I'll just quote myself this one:

That is called apps in the pipeline. How many new apps have started development since HP dropped their bombshell? Granted we won't know for a couple months, but you will see a tail off in the increase in apps very soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    atm people are feverishly trying to get droid os/software on the touchpad, wouldnt it be ironic if webOS was also pushed the other way, theres your future hardware, androids or w/e else is available.
    Not only ironic, but atm illegal as well.
    That is called apps in the pipeline. How many new apps have started development since HP dropped their bombshell? Granted we won't know for a couple months, but you will see a tail off in the increase in apps very soon.
    Plus, has anyone actually looked at the new apps?

Here's a sampling of some the 97 apps that came out over the past month:

Squirrel Step Free
    Learn HTML and iWebkit
    Percent Table
    9 different "Petit Fute" titles
    Data Manager Demo
    webOS Meetups
    Babeorella
    Shopping Manager Demo

Not exactly top tier stuff...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast