Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Not only ironic, but atm illegal as well.
    never stopped some people doing what they shouldnt before.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    WebOS didn't fail, people.
    It didn't exactly succeed either.
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    It "failed" due to lack of momentum from Palm.

With the first Android phone, the G1, it wasn't a great phone, but Google kept Android in the news by producing kick-*** software for it, with other phones lagging behind. Including, in some ways, the iPhone. Google MADE Android sexy, despite being (in reality) clunky.

With Palm, they released it and sat on their laurels. Maybe due to lack of money, who knows. The hardware on the Pre1 wasn't great and the returns were very high. In my local O2 store, they had a stand in the window with 3 Pres on it. After a month, the Pres were broken and they didn't replace them. But they had a contract to have the stand for a year. And they did. With broken kit on it. No wonder people didn't buy.

I say this from being a Pre1 and a G1 owner.
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    never stopped some people doing what they shouldnt before.
    How many other proprietary OSes have been ported to new hardware platforms?
    1) Webos failed (for now at least - until somebody picks it up *again* - unlikely atm). I'm a fan. I'm still hunting for a Pre3 and expect to be a webos user for another couple of years. But let's be realistic - the platform is dying atm. There's nothing efficient about the firesale - except for the speed with which HP dumped it's inventory. The sudden popularity of webos devices is nice - but limited and ultimately irrelevant without new devices in the queue.

2) webos under Palm half-failed for lack of resources. Palm had good ideas and vision - but simply not enough resources left to credibly carve out a big enough market.
    Marketing was at sometimes terrible and generally insufficient. Pre had too many hardware issues and even the nice Touchstone had many returns because of problems. All that would have been solvable had Palm the resources to replace with a new generation and increase marketing.

At the time HP bought Palm most people didn't even know webos existed.

3) HP had the resources - but lacked coherent vision and then - under new management - decided to switch strategies to find higher margins another way. They put webos on a Tablet that was originally meant to run W7. They were primarily focused on the tablet market and overlooked how crucial the smartphone business is. None of the mistakes would have kept webos from becoming a success in the end - *if* they really were invested in a marathon as they claimed.

Yes - the platform lacked apps. But that wasn't the reason it's now failed. That is a solvable problem. Early models had a too high percentage of hardware problems - but this was increasingly irrelevant with new models coming out. If they had pushed out the Pre3 by now almost all of the original Pre owners would quickly upgrade and by the end of the year those hardware problems would have been a ting in the past - with the majority of customers being new.
    Sure there were some bugs - but it wasn't overall buggy. No platform is perfect and without problems.
    Being too slow wasn't the killer either. Original Pres and Pixis would have quickly died out by the beginning of next year - and the current generation of Pre3, Veer and Pre3 ran it well enough - and a series of OTA updated would have brought out more optimizations.

But without a new owner (I foretell that HP is not going to find a licencee for smartphones/Tablets - don't care about Printers, TVs or toasters) this platform will be dying quickly. It needs new ownership within weeks - by years end at the latest.

HPs claims about all those potential for webos is just empty marketing bla bla If it stays with HP it might show up on high end printers (shrug) and that'll be it.
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    Marketing.

Apple's products sell not because they're the best, but because they're a designer brand. The first iPhone was ****. But it sold in vast numbers.

Had webOS been marketed properly, it would have gained popularity, and thus momentum which would have meant money for better hardware and in turn more marketing.

But nobody marketed webOS properly. I'd never heard of it until a couple weeks ago.
    LCGuy and Rnp like this.
    It was their business model. I think it has been proven that the only that can handle an entire operating system all to themselves is ridiculous unless your apple. Licensing is the way to to in my opinion for an os.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by RedMist View Post
    It "failed" due to lack of momentum from Palm.
    Nor did HP either. How many times have we told HP we want the Pre 3 now? And even now they're still not listening.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    LCGuy likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Plus, has anyone actually looked at the new apps?

Here's a sampling of some the 97 apps that came out over the past month:

Squirrel Step Free
    Learn HTML and iWebkit
    Percent Table
    9 different "Petit Fute" titles
    Data Manager Demo
    webOS Meetups
    Babeorella
    Shopping Manager Demo

Not exactly top tier stuff...

I know, I know...

QuickOffice
    MLB at Bat
    Accuweather
    Fidelity Mutual Market Monitor
    Encyclopedia Britannica
    Asphalt6
    QVC
    Last.cm
    Kindle
    Etc, etc

All small devs and poor quality apps. Yep, nothing but crap in the catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    It's failed and it failed hard - it's hardware was killed and firesaled and it force it's owner to make a $1 billion charge against revenue. That is very clear failure. Why it failed is a complex question related to many factors but they do not change the end result.

Yes if someone else decided to make hardware for it that could change - but nobody is at present.

Yes if HP decided to do a complete 180 then it could change - but there is no evidence of that.

That it might come again in the future is a different aspect of the story entirely but not germane to the discussion at hand as nobody can read the future. At present as a product line, it's an abject failure.
    Hardly.

WebOS didn't ever have a chance to fail. It's owners did.

It still is the best mobile OS out there, barring none.

If WebOS fades into the sunset, it won't be because it was poorly conceieved, or poorly executed, it will be because it's current owner has no vision and doesnt want to take the risk that they originally signed up to do.

Give WebOS to a company that is truly committed to it, and let them at it.. THEN, and only then, can it be judged as a success or a failure.

Sorry to disappoint the naysayers here, but, those are the facts, no matter how much you want to twist them.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    So apart from weak apps, laggy and buggy software, confusing interface, the missing of basic features, and terrible hardware. Popularity was the main reason it failed(or in your case, just struggling right now)?
    You have to be joking, right?

What weak apps? The app selection WebOS has may not be the biggest, but, it certainly gets the job done for most people.

Laggy software... sure, in the beginning, as most new OS's on new hardware are, but not now.

Missing basic features... prey tell, what are you talking about??

Confusing interface... ok.. now, this is pretty funny. If YOU think the interface is confusing, I wont argue, but, I think you would be amongst the .005% minority of that one. Every critic of WebOS has claimed it to be the easiset to use, most intuitive and promising mobile OS available today.

Terrrible hardware.. I woulndt call it terrible, but the Pre and Pixi werent the best builds for it, for sure. The Pre 2 and the Veer are excellent hardware pieces, and the TouchPad, even though dated, is quite solidly built.. hardly "terrible" by any stretch of the imagination.

Again, WebOS didn't fail.. it is very much alive and kicking and supported, and hopefully, we will, one day, see it on state of the art hardware that deserves the right to host it (the Pre 3 was really close, I hear current owners say).
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

cobrakon likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    Wow. With no hardware on the horizon just what, exactly, is webOS going to run on? Without a manufacturer stepping forward within the next 5 months, HP will kill webOS altogether.

The funny thing is that HP almost did it. They managed to get thousands of people to think webOS = TouchPad. Yet, it wasn't until after they killed it that people came to that realization...
    That is a good question, and one to be answered hopefully in the near future.

If WebOS disappears for good, its HP's failure to fully commit to it as they originally intended to do, and NOT WebOS's failure as an OS.

As an OS, its the best mobile OS available today.. that's far from being a failure, even if its owner doesnt want to invest in that potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Trekker View Post
    It didn't exactly succeed either.
    The title of this thread is about why WebOS failed. This is erroneous.

It didnt get enough tread in the market after HP bought Palm because HP screwed things up hardware wise and timing wise.

They couldn't get out of thier own bureacratic/corporate way enough to get new hardware out the door for a year, and then, when they did, they gave it NO chance for market acceptance (45 days.. really???).

You cant succeed unless you try. HP's efforts were less than sincere, and, if they had to be graded, I'd give them an F for failure.

Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Nor did HP either. How many times have we told HP we want the Pre 3 now? And even now they're still not listening.
    HP has to know that, but now, the Pre 3 would have been a huge hit. Not iPhone like, but, certainly a very well respected smartphone that could have launched WebOS into the pubic's eyes as an OS for contention along side of Android and iOS.

HP deliberately is ignoring the potential here.

Its wierd, but, more importantly, its irresponsible to their shareholders, given their investment and half hearted efforts to date.

Hardly.

WebOS didn't ever have a chance to fail. It's owners did.

It still is the best mobile OS out there, barring none.

If WebOS fades into the sunset, it won't be because it was poorly conceieved, or poorly executed, it will be because it's current owner has no vision and doesnt want to take the risk that they originally signed up to do.

Give WebOS to a company that is truly committed to it, and let them at it.. THEN, and only then, can it be judged as a success or a failure.

Sorry to disappoint the naysayers here, but, those are the facts, no matter how much you want to twist them.
    Webos failed.

Android is the best mobile OS out there, barring none.
    iOS is the best mobile OS out there, Barring none.
    See what I did there?

It's because of both.

Accoriding to many people here the Pre, Pre 2, Veer, and Touchpad were all good ideas. So Palm and HP did commit(according to the attitudes here on Precentral).

Not naysayers, but realist.
    Last edited by koolkid09; 09/04/2011 at 09:21 PM.
    You have to be joking, right?

What weak apps? The app selection WebOS has may not be the biggest, but, it certainly gets the job done for most people.

Laggy software... sure, in the beginning, as most new OS's on new hardware are, but not now.

Missing basic features... prey tell, what are you talking about??

Confusing interface... ok.. now, this is pretty funny. If YOU think the interface is confusing, I wont argue, but, I think you would be amongst the .005% minority of that one. Every critic of WebOS has claimed it to be the easiset to use, most intuitive and promising mobile OS available today.

Terrrible hardware.. I woulndt call it terrible, but the Pre and Pixi werent the best builds for it, for sure. The Pre 2 and the Veer are excellent hardware pieces, and the TouchPad, even though dated, is quite solidly built.. hardly "terrible" by any stretch of the imagination.

Again, WebOS didn't fail.. it is very much alive and kicking and supported, and hopefully, we will, one day, see it on state of the art hardware that deserves the right to host it (the Pre 3 was really close, I hear current owners say).
    The app selection is poor. No Shazam, WatchESPN, HBO, Netflix, etc...

The software was laggy at in 2009 with the Pre and Pixi, and its laggy in 2011 with the Veer, Pre2, and Touchpad.

How long did it take webos to get a video camera? How long did it take for flash? Look at the camera app. The only thing you can do is point and shoot. Where are the options? Bluetooth sharing?

Critics=/=Potential buyers. I've gone into sprint and verizon stores and seen people get frustrated trying to use gestures on webos and trying to find different settings throughout the phone.

You really think people wanted and 2.6 and 3.2 inch screened phones?

And again. Webos failed. The truth hurts.
    I think alot of the decision makers around webos are incompetent. The original hardware roadmap (pre pixi) wasn't nearly ambitious enough. I'll forgive this one because it was likely planned before the android explosion. Still, when it was clear that those form factors weren't desired by the masses, no one at palm had the guts to admit it and change the roadmap.

Why the pre+ Pixi+ and veer would get development priority over slate and 4g devices is beyond me.

Couple this with constantly sending mixed signals to developers,being painfully slow compared to the competition, and failing to secure key applications for the platform.
    Last edited by Mhunterjr; 09/05/2011 at 11:53 AM.
    There is so much fail in these comments I almost just walked right past the thread. But I just have to weigh in:

webOS never got a fair hearing. Palm was on the ropes when they tried to put it out there, and contracted crappy hardware. They were bought by HP, which then quickly lost their last decent CEO, and hired a moron who promptly reshuffled the board.

Folks like Android, and are evangelical about the OS. Why, I have no clue. First you have to identify which flavor of Android you're talking about. If you read this tomorrow, there may be another variant out there. I personally have never used an Android box that made any sense. If you're a devotee, you know what buttons to push to do something obvious, but it's nowhere near intuitive. When Apple was on the rise, veteran Windows users would complain "it's not that hard! Just press control-P, navigate to the least obvious menu item, and go to the third tab and there you are! Easy Peasy!"

And geez am I sick of reading about the lack of apps. iThing or iRobot users: How many apps do you have on your phone/device? ALL of them? "webOS only has 6000 apps. I need at least 10,000 on my phone!"

Finally, what are all these trolls doing here? Yeah, there's a lot of frustration with how webOS has been manhandled, but are people's lives so empty that they continue to hang around here to lob loogies at the rest of us?

Got an iThing or iRobot that you love? AWESOME! WHY ARE YOU HERE?

There's a lot of intelligent eulogizing we can do about the original Palm idea, but for the life of me I can't figure out why folks hang around these forums just to seem superior. I always picture the toon mass-murderer in the World of Warcraft Southpark episode..
    webOS is hardly confusing.

it failed because it didn't have the quality (OS polish/hardware) to be a once a year or so phone like an iphone.

it failed because it didn't do quantity like android. Miss the phone you want, don't worry there will 45 ones just like it when your upgrade comes up and they will be free or near free with contract.

HP said they wanted to be the middle ground between those two models. They could have done a veer type phone, vert / horizonal sliders, slab and a couple tabs. They could have had a new product out every two months. They could have pushed out the polish faster to the OS. They didn't do any of that stuff. That's why it failed. People can't buy products that don't exist. There were no webOS phones out there. It seems like webOS failing suited the controlling faction in HP just fine.

I just hope what's great about the OS (multi tasking cards, synergy, notifications) get adopted into other OS with less warts.
    popologuy likes this.
    Do you know what is more interesting?

Always are the same androlovers and appleblinds that come say what is wrong, lost his time here, and trying to create a terrible idea about the webOS.

Ah, c'mon...

The SO is excelent! It's beautifull (have no beta's face) and it's pratical (don't need go and back, go and back, go and back to work). Yes, dream with this noise!

Yes, have problems. Yes, have mistakes! And; yes, continue to be updated! Yes, still updated!

Well, if you cannot REALLY add something good to discussion... try to think in say something different, beyond the same bla, bla, bla, while you are trying do protect your favorite SO...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast