webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Discussion >  webOS Discussion Lounge > Separate webOS accounts: Advice?
Separate webOS accounts: Advice?
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By HelloNNNewman
  • 1 Post By fatclue_98

Old 09/02/2011, 08:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

My TouchPad is presently mainly used for general purposes.. My family members also use it for internet and gaming.. No problem here. But because it's used 'public' I didn't activate, my personal e-mail, Facebook and Linkedin account on it..
I personally owe a Pr Classic, which contains personal apps and other stuff, that I don't wan't to share with other family members. Next week I'm gonna replace my Pr Classic with a new Pr3 (I'm living in Europe and managed to get one..). I'm hesident now what to do with the HP webOS account... If I activate the new Pr3 with the same TouchPad webOS account, probably all the apps from the TP will also be present on the Pr3 as well? I don't need all those games on my Pr3.. Vice versa, I'm risking that personal stuff on the Pr will be synchronized with the TouchPad? Advantage of using the same account is that you don't have to buy apps twice..?
If this is correct, it would make sense to use different webOS accounts on both the Pr3 and the TouchPad. That way I can use (and buy) different apps on both devices, is that right?
Question is still when I would use 'Touch-to-Share' function with my Pr3 and the TouchPad. Will that still work with two different accounts?
Please advice me on this, thanks in advance..

Last edited by apeka53; 09/02/2011 at 08:30 PM.
apeka53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2011, 08:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

you can always pause the apps before they install on the pre3, and then remove them. You still own them but they won't install. Or, just remove them after they I stall.
Cantaffordit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2011, 08:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would think only pre compatible apps/games would come down if activating with the TP profile. Also any accounts on the TP would be available on the pre which you could remove if necessary I believe. Accounts added on the pre3 would not automatically get added to the TP I believe but if they did you could disable/remove them from the TP. While being the same profile, they are separate devices with separate data (like accounts, bookmarks, etc)...I think
scottymomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/02/2011, 08:33 PM   #4 (permalink)

So what you're saying is eg. uninstalling an app on the Pr3, won't uninstall it on the TouchPad and vice versa? The apps are still 'device dedicated'.. This would mean I can use one webOS account and make a separate selection on each device? What will happen with the 'Touch-to-Share' function, or doesn't that have nothing to do with the accounts?
Old 09/02/2011, 09:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yes. Uninstalling an app from either device will have no effect on the other device. Also, after the restoration of apps and accoutns the first time you login into a new device, all changes on either devices are not carried over tothe other device.

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
Sanjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/03/2011, 05:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

This would also mean that when buying a new app on device#1, it isn't available free (you paid for it already) on device#2? Or can you then install it from the catalog on device#2 without costs? Sorry for all these questions, just want to understand how it works...
Old 09/03/2011, 09:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

the latter..once purchased you should be able to download on either device
scottymomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/14/2011, 03:01 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have a similar question and was about to start my own thread when i was warned about this one. I had formatted the entire post already, so I'll just dump it in here. Of particular interest to me is the backup/restore capability (is there one?) and how it might affect things.

Here's my situation:

My wife and I each have a Touchpad. When I got the Touchpads, I created her a WebOS account, and I created a separate one for me. As I consider buying paid apps, it occurs to me that perhaps this hasn't been a wise decision -- I now have to buy each application twice, if I want them on both TouchPads. I am considering wiping hers clean and putting my HP WebOS account on both Touchpads.

I would like to ask people's advice in this situation. Please focus on Pro's and Con's.

So far this is what I understand:

Pro:

Can buy each app once instead of twice. (Is it easy to load previously purchased apps on a second TouchPad?)

Con:

If I use a backup utility, it might not be able to preserve the settings from both TouchPads. (On a separate note, I'm not even sure how to backup anyways...)

Any other points I should consider? Is there an official HP policy on multiple TouchPads using the same WebOS account?

Another scenario: My retired parents now each have a TouchPad. They will probably use their TouchPads to play games and read books; nothing really heavy I wouldn't think. Does this situation warrant a different answer than the above?

Thanks all in advance for any advice you can offer.
hellmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/05/2013, 03:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Tazmorator

I'm just now looking into this for my TouchPad.
Old 03/05/2013, 03:44 PM   #10 (permalink)

Holy zombie threads, Batman!

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by berdinkerdickle likes this.
Old 03/05/2013, 04:01 PM   #11 (permalink)
Tazmorator

I was going to start a thread, and then this one popped up as a suggested topic already posted.

Anyway,
I want my wife to be able to use my TouchPad, but she likes to attract spam.
She enters contests all over the internet, and she has messed up my computer in the past.
On my Mac I can create her an Account and then she can create a password.
Neither of our user accounts are accessible by the other.
I'd like to do this with my TouchPad in either webOS or Android.
Old 03/05/2013, 04:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Homebrew Developer

Neither webOS nor Android are currently multi-user. I've heard there are plans for it in the next Android version. There's really not much to worry about, though, it's not like PC malware can affect either webOS or Android .. though there is some Android malware out there.
Quote:
(1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
GO OPEN WEBOS!
People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
eblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03/05/2013, 04:22 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
I was going to start a thread, and then this one popped up as a suggested topic already posted.

Anyway,
I want my wife to be able to use my TouchPad, but she likes to attract spam.
She enters contests all over the internet, and she has messed up my computer in the past.
On my Mac I can create her an Account and then she can create a password.
Neither of our user accounts are accessible by the other.
I'd like to do this with my TouchPad in either webOS or Android.
Save your sanity and your soul, get her a TP of her own. If she's anything like my wife, she'll swear to high heaven it was nothing she did to cause the problems. BTW, I'm still crazy in love with my psycho even after 18 years.
fatclue_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by HelloNNNewman likes this.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0