Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By Jophiel
  • 2 Post By DRFP
  • 5 Post By geekpeter
  1.    #1  
    why does HP use "cards" and not "windows" ???
    On tablet there is maybe need for card resizing option, to be able to have two or three opened parallel active cards side by side.
    because you can flick a card to toss it away when you are done. when was the last time you flick a window? :-)

it's about making the metaphor easy-to-understand with regards to gestures. flicking a card away requires less fine-motor-movement than locating and precisely clicking on an "X" to close a window. a good chunk of human computer interaction and usability design is about removing obstacles to let users interact with machines in a more natural way. that is, interacting on our terms, rather than the terms dictated by how the machine thinks and operates.
    Because HP couldn't trademark "window".
    Tablet screen size can handle two or more opened cards with active content. I guess OP had that in mind. It would be really great to have an option for tablet view and phone view embedded in webOS 3 apps.
    One view is full screen view, with one layout, and another view is phone view in smaller card, with phone like view. Its like having two layouts for same app, eg. mail app. In FS view it would be like standard TP mail app. In phone view it would be like mail app on Pre.
    the UI was designed originally for one handed operation of a phone. That's why everyone falls in love with "gestures" and tossing cards.

if you want windows (sort of) check out the app called "glimmer" which runs multiple apps in a card. Really cool.
    Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SandraW View Post
    LOL

Why does Mac not have Internet Explorer native?
    Why does Windows not have the Program Bar like OSX

WOW you really need to ask this?

webOS is webOS not Windows That is why
    laoh and un_designer like this.
    The card factor is what makes webos different and the best os around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    the UI was designed originally for one handed operation of a phone. That's why everyone falls in love with "gestures" and tossing cards.

if you want windows (sort of) check out the app called "glimmer" which runs multiple apps in a card. Really cool.
    I think you mean Glimpse?
    Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    Do you mean, why do they call them "cards" instead of "windows" since they are basically windows anyway? I suspect they didn't want to call them "windows" because people have a pre-conceived notion of how a window should behave (over-lapping, moving around, etc). So they wanted to use a different term.
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    I think you mean Glimpse?
    argh, the dyslex-heimers again!

yes, Glimpse!
    Quote Originally Posted by crabbz View Post
    Do you mean, why do they call them "cards" instead of "windows" since they are basically windows anyway? I suspect they didn't want to call them "windows" because people have a pre-conceived notion of how a window should behave (over-lapping, moving around, etc). So they wanted to use a different term.
    microsoft also has trademarked the word "windows"
    windows break when u toss them away.
    Global Posts
    180 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jophiel View Post
    Because HP couldn't trademark "window".
    Considering HP didn't come up with the card way of doing things, I'm guessing not.