Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By blinktreo
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Will HTC and/or Samsung announce a webOS licensing deal at their "major announcements tomorrow?

Tomorrow, Sept 1st, 2011 both HTC and Samsung are set to have "major Announcements"...more than likely to kick off new products....

Since HP claimed months ago that they were looking to license webOS and for all we know they may have been involved in talks with Samsung, HTC or other firms before both Leo & Ruby said it publicly.

1. How many of you think there will be an announcement about licensing webOS?

2. How many of you think if it isn't mentioned by HTC and/or Samsung that reporters will bring it up?

Please feel free to post any input.

take care,

jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    1. No (but a guy can dream, can't he)
    2) Probably

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    I actually said the same thing, I think something sill be announced.

Samsung is looking for takeovers for a while, webOS could make a nice addition to their succesful Android line. Doesn't hurt them anyway.

Same goes for HTC though. One thing that could point to an announcement as well is their 'beats' license.

Here's hoping for good news tomorrow!
    - AR
    @AR_ on Twitter
    I doubt it. HP doesn't even know what they're doing.
    65fastback, 11B1P and string158 like this.
    But how many different operating systems can one company manage on their smartphones? Samsung has a hard time keeping up as it is. I just have a hard time seeing it.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    After having a craptacular Nexus S where the sim pins have broken off (they are paper thin), I hope its HTC. I have no faith in Samsung bringing out a solid Pre replacement :/
    Doubtful.... HP's recent announcement of making more TP's makes it feel even less likely to me. Unless it's a license just for a new phone, at first.
    For Samsung, they will never license it. They are nervous about the google and motorola deal. They want their own product. Even Korean government wants their own mobile OS. Bada is Samsung's OS but it's not even close to android capacity. If Samsung is going to make webOS device, I think Samsung has to own webOS, not licensing it.
    They both have nothing to lose by licensing webOS. It's not like they're *tied* to Android right?

HTC is still an OEM/ODM, so coming out with a webOS-based device, like they used to (or still does?) for Windows Mobile, shouldn't be a problem.

As for Samsung, having an OS that is patent-troll/lawsuit proof would give them peace of mind. And who wouldn't want that? Eh?
    Some Company: "We're licensing/buying webOS"
    webOS Faithful: "Hooray!!!"
    The Entire Rest of the Tech Community: "BWAHAHA! HAH! HAHA! OH MY SIDES!! HAH! STOP!! HEHE! OH, I NEED NEW UNDERWEAR.. <giggle snort>"
    Wall Street: "Sell all shares in Some Company"
    Hmmmm.....dunno about this:

Report: Samsung Considering Buying WebOS
    HP will probably sell to whoever offers the most for the patent portfolio without consideration to what the buyer plans to do with the platform.

Sad, but probably true given their pattern to date.
    Quote Originally Posted by C-Note View Post
    HP will probably sell to whoever offers the most for the patent portfolio without consideration to what the buyer plans to do with the platform.

Sad, but probably true given their pattern to date.
    Maybe HP will park webOS, become patent trolls and use any income from that to prop up their fledgling forray into software...
    Quote Originally Posted by string158 View Post
    Maybe HP will park webOS, become patent trolls and use any income from that to prop up their fledgling forray into software...
    Please no, I hope you are wrong. They must have at least a little pride left.
    Does anybody know if either company has announced anything yet today? If so is there any links so we can look it up.
    sept 1st came and went,unsurprise!!!! No webos announcement.
    some guys are saying that palm patents were valued 1.4B back in april which means that they might be more valuable now.
    webos is gonna be disected and be used to patent troll
    Maracuja, do you know where to get that wallpaper for my sprint pre-?
    google webosos or look for an article of the main page of precentral i think that it was a couple days ago about the webosos seal and that one has all the resolution that you might need
    I guess there are two threads on this so I guess I will post the 9/1/11 announcement result here as well...

Samsung's 9/1/11 announcement turned out to be the Samsung Galaxy Note 5.3" 720p - Engadget.
    Samsung said they would not go after webOS.

Samsung already have popular Android devices out. And their own Bada OS is outselling Windows Phone.

Googles acquisition of Motorola Mobility was primary for the patents. So that Samsung ect can defend them self from Apple, Microsoft and Oracle plus other companies.

I dont think that Samsung or HTC is looking for a new operating system. Their doing fine with Android and Windows Phone. And Bada for Samsung.