1.    #1  
    For sake of argument, let's all just assume for a moment that the rumors of Samsung being interested in buying WebOS turn out to be true and they do end up buying. How long is a reasonable amount of time to expect our first WebOS hardware from them? I know it won't be anything like a month, but this is a company that knows how to make mobile devices, so hopefully they'll be quicker getting devices to market than HP was.

If and when this happens, I'd like to see them release a WebOS lineup. Give people options at the outset...3 or 4 different form factors to choose from all at once. Slab, vertical slider, horizontal slider, candybar, etc. Part of what hurt WebOS was such limited choice in form factor. I love the vertical slider, but lots of people just refuse to even try it.

Anyway, mostly just curious what the best-expected turnaround tiime could be.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    My expectation is no sooner than 9 months from the time any purchase or licensing goes through. A more reasonable expectation is probably at least 12 months, at least in the US. Remember, carrier approval and FCC and all that.
    I think the exact words from HP during that whole announcement thing was "several quarters"
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
  4.    #4  
    I would imagin Samsung would be somewhat quicker than HP though. Mobile is what they do.
    Well its all about doing the paperwork of licensing webOS out, getting the phone made, testing the product and getting it ready to sell. I'd still say the soonest would be next mid to late year, maybe, and thats if they are already in the process of doing it.
    Back to webOS with my new Touchpad!!!
    Check Out My TouchPad Theme "Paint It Black" http://forums.webosnation.com/webos-...iew-black.html
    Global Posts
    679 Global Posts
    If it's up to the Palm division, a year at least.
    Pilot 5000 > Pre > Pre2 > Pre3 > Galaxy Nexus
    TouchPad > Galaxy Tab 8.9
    If.. just for the sake of argument.. a company like Samsung does grab webOS, they would have a large task to undertake in optimizing the software for their hardware. HP was still a ways away from this too.

My fear would be that Samsung would either license or buy webOS and shelve it. Both ways would give them access to the patents (but not outright ownership) that Palm had and could be used to protect themselves from getting sued by other companies over patent infringement. I've no idea of the intricacies of corporate law... just my thoughts.

My answer to the OP's question is 12 months. They could pick a bleeding edge chipset and then give the majority of the time from there to the software team to optimize and tweak. I'm sure they could build the hardware very quickly from there.
    Global Posts
    2,213 Global Posts
    Orrrrr, they could release the Pre3 now and then in a few months, release their own design/s of their webOS phone/s.
  9.    #9  
    I don't think it's in the best interest of WebOS to remain in the hands of HP for development.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    I don't think it's in the best interest of WebOS to remain in the hands of HP for development.
    Ain't that the truth.