1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI. See link.

Take care,

Jay

Was the Death of the TouchPad the Re-Birth of WebOS?
    Aug

Was the Death of the TouchPad the Re-Birth of WebOS? | allGeek

After getting my TouchPad (32 GB for $149.99) I came to realize what an awesome operating system WebOS is, which is sad because HP was having a hard time getting them in the hands of consumers. Now that the 80% sale has solved that problem, what lies ahead for WebOS and the TouchPad owners?
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I'd love to think that is the case and would buy a webos product built by another company in a heartbeat. I'm more inclined to believe that HP has given Apple a huge gift here. At $100-$150 people who never would have purchased tablets, who previously saw them as niche devices now have them. Having now wet more appetites for tablet devices, sales of tablets should continue to increase for those companys still in that business. Consumers will see more and more people using the devices and will buy them from whoever is still making them.
    Global Posts
    423 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ReaganElephant View Post
    I'm more inclined to believe that HP has given Apple a huge gift here.
    Or Samsung. The Tab kicks iPad's *** on soo many levels.
    Floren Munteanu
    why queued - My blog
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ReaganElephant View Post
    . I'm more inclined to believe that HP has given Apple a huge gift here.
    Hi all,

I don't agree with this portion of your comment...Apple already owns approx 90 some odd % of the Tablet market...Apple didn't get a gift it already had the gift...the gift of almost all of the worldwide tablet market...

...webOS is well loved by us....but HP lied by not doing what they promised giving us tons of apps, that would have helped....HP also screwed up b/c HP over Ruby's objections insisted it wanted to use a tweaked 2 year old design for the TouchPad when all of the webOS officials said webOS had already outgrown the hardware, even before it went into production....

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    HP also screwed up b/c HP over Ruby's objections insisted it wanted to use a tweaked 2 year old design for the TouchPad when all of the webOS officials said webOS had already outgrown the hardware, even before it went into production....
    Could you please elaborate on this portion?
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    The re-birth of webOS cannot happen if there is never any more new hardware. Without new hardware, this platform/ecosystem will gradually become a dead end.

HP just dropped an offhand comment that they want to divest themselves of the entire hardware group. Why would any company want to invest in licensing the OS? HP could come out a day after you introduce your new hardware and say, "we're shutting down".

Someone has to buy this OS and develop it with hardware, or it will disappear gradually.
    Quote Originally Posted by T3CK View Post
    Or Samsung. The Tab kicks iPad's *** on soo many levels.
    Except for, you know, moving off store shelves...
    Artists become more famous and lucrative after they die, especially if they die young.

But there´s never any more art from them.

Get one, love it, use it daily... but take good care of it, because there likely won´t be any more like it.
  9.    #9  
    Hi all,

Nice find...thanks.... it hits the nail on the head...Leo has single handedly destroyed what was left of HP after Carly's reign of terror, Mark Herd's pants that needed to be welded shut and now Leo is brought in for the "coup de gras"

Take care,

Jay
    I think with the fire sale that has gone on and app developers that were in contract with Hp before their bust saw so many new users and still decided to go a long with the apps.

I also think they feel that they can get as much money as possible with the new users and hearing the rumors of Samsung or even licensing of the platform will still make them money.

But webos is hear to stay, no matter who takes over the company. Who can honestly say that any other platforms had two companies fail it and still have a heartbeat. That is how you know this is a great os and will outlast anything that is thrown at it.