Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By GodShapedHole
  1.    #1  
    I searched the community and I didn't see anything directly related to porting webOS to another tablet. Would this even be possible? I mean why bother porting android or unbuntu to a tp when it is dead?

Since most of the discussions and reviews, before HP abandoned its hardware, was how webOS was great (I agree wholeheartedly) but the hardware itself was insufficient to run it effectively. I would spend my money on a recent samsung or an asus tablet without blinking if I could run it with webOS!

I know people haven't looked at phones as you would lose the gesture area, amongst other features, but the tp had no such ability, thus one would lose little and potentially have a rocket with which to run webOS.

I was a little anxious after the announcement and returned my $550 tp to my local store, only to find out a couple of days later that instead of preventing returns, as I thought they might, they were price matching. So now I am without a tablet and however hard I scrub the net, I can't find any "reasonably" priced tp anywhere. And now my wife wants one too!! sigh...

So can anyone please help me port webOS onto another tablet!?! Is this possible? Is it even a good idea?
    Ignorance is bliss... but so very, very expensive!
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    WebOS is a closed source proprietary OS. There is no way to port it to another tablet.
    Make that "there is no legal way to port it to another tablet".

This MAY change in the future as open-sourcing (after the image of Android) is one of the possible future options for webOS.
    jeffmcc likes this.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    There is no practical way to port it either --- it's not like there is a leaked source code available in bittorent somewhere.
  5.    #5  
    Ah. Yes, well, that makes sense. The purported rumour of webOS on an ipad was done by hp insiders, if I remember correctly.

So I guess I'll just wait patiently for the next one by samsung or whoever. When's that? a year and half or so? can't be much longer or webOS will die out, I would think, given the rate at which this market moves. For some reason that feels like forever!! sigh...
    Ignorance is bliss... but so very, very expensive!
    Global Posts
    511 Global Posts
    I've been wondering for awhile now. At the announcement conference in February, they showed Enyo apps running in Windows based browsers (my memory is foggy so correct me if I'm remembering things wrong). Can I grab the Enyo app files off my TouchPad and run them on my desktop or other HTML5 browsers?
    I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
    Device history: *free feature Phone*x3 -> LG Rumor -> Palm Pre -> HTC Arrive (3days) -> Samsung Nexus S 4G (28 days) -> Samsung Galaxy S II Sprint Epic 4G Touch -> Palm Pre -> Pre 3
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    I am curious about how "closed" WebOS is. Most of it is Linux, which is under the GPL and, thus open. It's my understanding that anything that interfaces with, or uses GPL code, is thus also open. How does WebOS remain closed?
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Honis View Post
    I've been wondering for awhile now. At the announcement conference in February, they showed Enyo apps running in Windows based browsers (my memory is foggy so correct me if I'm remembering things wrong). Can I grab the Enyo app files off my TouchPad and run them on my desktop or other HTML5 browsers?
    yes, enyo apps work in browsers, that is how they are developed.

As for linux, the kernel is open source, but anything on top of it isn't. Which is why any patches to linux are released as open source by Palm.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MincerRay View Post
    I am curious about how "closed" WebOS is. Most of it is Linux, which is under the GPL and, thus open. It's my understanding that anything that interfaces with, or uses GPL code, is thus also open. How does WebOS remain closed?
    Android runs on Linux as well --- NONE of the Android code itself is GPL. All are close source.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Linux and GPL is tricky legal territory. I"m a HW guy, so don't have a great understanding of all the issues. Where I work, we develop our own OS to run on our HW. We have to be very careful about writing device drivers based on Linux example code. Everything has to be scrubbed. Our kernel is based on BSD. Linux is a real hassle for companies who need to keep their source closed. I'm curious how Palm/HP and Android skirts around this.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MincerRay View Post
    Linux and GPL is tricky legal territory. I"m a HW guy, so don't have a great understanding of all the issues. Where I work, we develop our own OS to run on our HW. We have to be very careful about writing device drivers based on Linux example code. Everything has to be scrubbed. Our kernel is based on BSD. Linux is a real hassle for companies who need to keep their source closed. I'm curious how Palm/HP and Android skirts around this.
    There is no skirting around --- you just have a misunderstanding of GPL. You are making it sound like they are doing something sneaky.