1.    #1  
    Hello,

I've seen multiple statements on precentral and elsewhere that webOS does not rely on the GPU to power the GUI. This is often blamed for the poor GUI animations/performance. It seems that this was improved to some extent in versions 2.0 and 3.0, but the problem still exists. My question is: where are people getting this information? I believe it, but I'm wondering how people verifiably know it to be true. Can developers see it in the code? Is it just obvious? Has palm/HP made statements.

I'm also looking for theories as to why HP wouldn't fix this. I'm sure much of iOS's speedy performance is due to GPU acceleration. Does it just require rewriting the OS from the ground up?

It seems like webOS brute forces its way through the GUI using the processor. Or maybe I'm wrong and much of the GUI lagging results from querying the database or connecting to the cloud.

Sent from my $150 32 GB Touchpad (the best tech deal ever)
    Very little of the OS is GPU accelerated.

The visuals of the OS are coded in CSS. WebOS is just one big website running locally off your tablet. Linux is the tablets server, Luna is a big Webkit web browser and webOS runs locally in this fullscreen browser window.

The problem is that you cant just flip a switch and enable GPU acceleration. All of the apps are "separate webpages" running locally and you have to recode the CSS to take advantage of Accelerated CSS Transitions.

Then every app developer would have to rewrite their apps to be accelerated as well.

Its a lot of work, but above that its a lot of work that is split up into separate organisations within the webOS GBU and then 3rd party developers as well.

1) Luna would have to be updated to support these CSS effects
    2) The main site of webos (the shell of webOS) would have top be recoded.
    3) every official app would have to be recoded. Both Enyo and Mojo versions.
    4) Every third party app would have to be recoded by individual developers. Both Enjoy and Mojo versions.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks rmausser for the great explanation. So would GPU acceleration clear up the scrolling, etc performance issues? Or are there other issues also?

Why do you suppose HP didn't add GPU acceleration in version 3.0?

Hopefully this discussion isn't moot.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Because even on the desktop browser side, hardware acceleration in the browser has only been in the experimental stage for the last year.

Firefox 4 Beta 2 is here – Welcome CSS3 transitions ✩ Mozilla Hacks – the Web developer blog
    Scrolling in enyo is supposedly GPU-accelerated:

https://developer.palm.com/distribut...=16011&p=80664

But it still has to do stuff in Javascript to handle scroll physics and display new items after you scroll:

https://developer.palm.com/distribut...p?f=11&t=17004
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Because even on the desktop browser side, hardware acceleration in the browser has only been in the experimental stage for the last year.

Firefox 4 Beta 2 is here Welcome CSS3 transitions ✩ Mozilla Hacks the Web developer blog
    This is a very good reason here,

CSS transitions are a very new thing.

webOS is pushing the limits of web coding and technologies.

So to accelerate the OS via GPU, you are venturing into territories that not many people have gone before.

So, beta code, tons of bugs, lack of engineers who even know how to do it.

Palm was lucky when they had Ben and Dion on board as they knew what they were doing....now...not so sure...