Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By untitled
  • 1 Post By kjb86
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    HP being only a software company only now tries to adopt the GOOGLE business model / approach now. Its really hard to believe anything that they have left to say at this point, but we as a community have little left to pin our hopes to. So maybe, given the recent market demand, they see more of an opportunity by licensing the OS only. Leo has already said that they wish to only be a software company so it would fit the bill. All just a wish I guess, as I sit here typing this on my new TP realizing what a fantastic device this thing really is! On a side note many of the people that I talk to on a regular basis who had bought the tablet in the hopes that Honeycomb would eventually find its way onto it, have now come back to me and said "man you were right WebOS is awesome" most of them no longer are even considering putting Android on their TP any longer. One of them who actually works at best buy told me if he had had the opportunity to use the device the way he is now back when they trained on it, he would have had a hard time recommending anything else... Oh well to little to late...

Thanks,
    Th3H0ff
    "Originality.....There's NO app for that!" -Th3H0ff
    About the last thing you said it's true. I've noticed that most people over at xda before having the touchpad, really wanted the touchdroid to succeed but now hopefully most of them say that webOS is awesome indeed.
    It is true that once you go webOS you get addicted.
    Last part is not gonna happen because Android people would have to give up all the apps and things Android could do that the TP can't. Just off the top of my head they will loose the ability to sync bookmarks with Chrome which could be annoying if your used to something like that.

While you're right webOS is great right out of the box, unfortunately only the newbies who bought a TP and didn't have an iOS or Android device will find it adequate.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    unfortunately only the newbies who bought a TP and didn't have an iOS or Android device will find it adequate.
    I think that's an exaggeration. I'm mostly going to use it for web, email and ebooks. If it does those things moderately well, I'll be happy. Others who need more high-powered functions may be disappointed, but I think more than half are thinking like me.
    User of Android, Blackberry OS, WebOS and Windows Mobile (not necessarily in that order).
    Titano likes this.
    Android never used to sync bookmarks (from bookmarks.google.com) with android stock browser :/ I do not even think that an app can do that. I am missing this feature in android actually and that's why I use firefox mobile although slow so I can have common bookmarks. Google is very bad at integrating their services and making them one.
    Imagine that bookmarks.google.com is not even integrated into chrome and chrome uses google docs for bookmarks. FFS.
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    HP wants to be a software/services company like IBM. Look at Apotheker's background. They will most likely unload WebOS with the inevitable PSG spinoff/sale. It's sad, because WebOS has potential, but I think the fat lady is warming up.
    Quote Originally Posted by viper151 View Post
    Android never used to sync bookmarks (from bookmarks.google.com) with android stock browser :/ I do not even think that an app can do that. I am missing this feature in android actually and that's why I use firefox mobile although slow so I can have common bookmarks. Google is very bad at integrating their services and making them one.
    Imagine that bookmarks.google.com is not even integrated into chrome and chrome uses google docs for bookmarks. FFS.
    Wrong

https://market.android.com/details?i...romemarks.lite
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by untitled View Post
    I'm mostly going to use it for web, email and ebooks. If it does those things moderately well, I'll be happy. Others who need more high-powered functions may be disappointed, but I think more than half are thinking like me.
    I agree with you there.
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Nice Ty The apps are so many that when I setup my phone I couldn't find something like that. But still I can't sync from bookmarks.google.com and since I use firefox, all my bookmarks go there.
    Quote Originally Posted by viper151 View Post
    Nice Ty The apps are so many that when I setup my phone I couldn't find something like that. But still I can't sync from bookmarks.google.com and since I use firefox, all my bookmarks go there.
    Glad I could help, make sure you check out the forums at AndroidCentral. Install CM7 on your phone to get some of those webOS gesture like functions back.
    I thought there were more Touchpad specific apps than there are Android tablet specific apps. Has that changed? That is what This is My Next said in their count . . .
    Sorry, I've used an iPad extensively for a year as my primary device. I've used an Acer Iconia as well, and owned an Evo. In my view, there is northing than Android or the iPad can do that is very important to me that a Touchpad can't do, except document editing.
    Anand al Shimpi of Anandtech fame uses an iPhone, and Macs, and tests extensively about every Andriod tablet and phone on the market. He said that the Touchpad would be his favorite tablet if not for the performance issues and bugs (he tested Build 16, not the current 68).
    Why? Because like 99% of the population, he only uses a core of about 8 apps 99% of the time. Email - better on Touchpad than any OS. Calendar - best on Touchpad. Multitasking better than any tablet. At least equal to the best keyboard of any tablet. Spaz is fine Twitter client. Best facebook app on any tablet. Kindle App. Movie store if you are desperate. Music app with the best sound of any tablet. It just needs word and excel editing desperately, though admittedly tablets are not the best at that task.
    Anything else you are doing is pretty rare unless you are pretty specialized.
    Sync bookmarks? Really a reason to use another OS? Wow. . .
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4508/hp-touchpad-review
    Last edited by millertime; 08/24/2011 at 11:28 PM. Reason: addition
    millertime
    I believe that much like the iPad, you can run all the Android phone apps which run and look great on Android tablets but there are also tablet specific apps for Android.

So you have over 200,000 apps from Android Market to choose from for your tablet but I would do some research if you want to know what exactly that experience is like.
    good thing about that is doc editing will be here shortly

Quote Originally Posted by millertime View Post
    I thought there were more Touchpad specific apps than there are Android tablet specific apps. Has that changed? That is what This is My Next said in their count . . .
    Sorry, I've used an iPad extensively for a year as my primary device. I've used an Acer Iconia as well, and owned an Evo. In my view, there is northing than Android or the iPad can do that is very important to me that a Touchpad can't do, except document editing.
    Anand al Shimpi of Anandtech fame uses an iPhone, and Macs, and tests extensively about every Andriod tablet and phone on the market. He said that the Touchpad would be his favorite tablet if not for the performance issues and bugs (he tested Build 16, not the current 68).
    Why? Because like 99% of the population, he only uses a core of about 8 apps 99% of the time. Email - better on Touchpad than any OS. Calendar - best on Touchpad. Multitasking better than any tablet. At least equal to the best keyboard of any tablet. Spaz is fine Twitter client. Best facebook app on any tablet. Kindle App. Movie store if you are desperate. Music app with the best sound of any tablet. It just needs word and excel editing desperately, though admittedly tablets are not the best at that task.
    AnandTech - The HP TouchPad Review: webOS on the Big Screen
    Titano likes this.
    Global Posts
    160 Global Posts
    Well said, and totally agree. I am actually shocked at how well they did with the keyboard, and I give it a slight nod for having a fully dedicated row for numbers- for me at least it saves quite a bit of time. Now if we could get a layout or option to keep the @ key and the .com key as dedicated keys full time I would be even happier! Plus the .com key could have a long press option to be able to pick .net .edu .gov or allow for custom designations for other 1's like .fr or .co.uk or whatever since these will really branch out more and more like .tv, etc!

Quote Originally Posted by millertime View Post
    AnandTech - The HP TouchPad Review: webOS on the Big Screen
    Quote Originally Posted by jmleese View Post
    Well said, and totally agree. I am actually shocked at how well they did with the keyboard, and I give it a slight nod for having a fully dedicated row for numbers- for me at least it saves quite a bit of time. Now if we could get a layout or option to keep the @ key and the .com key as dedicated keys full time I would be even happier! Plus the .com key could have a long press option to be able to pick .net .edu .gov or allow for custom designations for other 1's like .fr or .co.uk or whatever since these will really branch out more and more like .tv, etc!
    .com has a long press and has .net, .org and .edu :P