Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By DavidVogt
  • 2 Post By RavenSEAL
  • 1 Post By iwantpadto
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Is the the lack of a plan B...

I've been trying to open PDFs for my college classes and QuickOffice just keeps giving me errors saying "QuickOffice does not support this format", even though the files open just fine on my laptop and android tablet. Ironically, QuickOffice isn't and doesn't have a PDF reader, but is somehow associated with it.

The app market you say? Nope, there is nothing there. Not a PDF reader, not an alternative office suite.

If anyone can help me with my pains, I'd really appreciate it. Google continues to turn up with nothing.
    OPen the PDF app, adobe reader, then open your PDFs from it. QO is known to be incomplete and buggy.
    webOS, not WebOS.

Sorry, one of my (and many other's) pet peeves.
    David Vogt - Founder and administrator of Photography Union
    Follow me on Twitter! --- Add me on Facebook!
    IGNTNUNLMTD likes this.
    you try google docs to open pdfs?

maybe it is not the lack of plan B just the lack of easily being able to find plan B
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elpollodiablo1 View Post
    you try google docs to open pdfs?

maybe it is not the lack of plan B just the lack of easily being able to find plan B
    Tried that, page wouldn't scroll.
    there is supposed to be an update to quickoffice this week... Hopefully that will help. I'm not having .pdf issues.

is there a sample you can post without violating copywrite laws? Others can try opening it for comparison. But only if it doesn't violate a copywrite.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    I think i just noticed the web browser is corrupting all of them at download...

So much for ranting about that...I guess now the web browser is what stinks...time to port dolphin HD!!!
    sepherous and PalmoAnest like this.
    porting anything is always good news :P but just for the sake of gathering info i'm not having an issue with pdf's in the browser, i did upload some pdf ebooks to my box.net account and they opened beautifully with the adobe reader app......try that?
    obviously this involved the extra step of manually uploading them on ur laptop to box.net vs just going to the site and downloading but it might work for u until someone can figure out how to give u better advice :/

best of luck!
    Global Posts
    10 Global Posts
    I've been using the Adobe Reader app to look at PDF files and haven't had a problem yet. But anecdote != data. While we're at it my big gripe about Adobe Reader is that there's no search functionality. Also there's no random access for pages. You have to scroll sequentially through the page spindown or thumbnails to get to a page deep into a file.
    I think the problem ravenseal is having is that the pdf is recognized as a pdf but the file name doesn't end in a .pdf. The browser then shows the PDF icon next to it when downloading, but when trying to open it, QO does not recognize it. I had the same issue. I just user a File Manager (like Internalz) and manually added a .pdf at the end of the file. Worked perfectly.
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    I think the problem ravenseal is having is that the pdf is recognized as a pdf but the file name doesn't end in a .pdf. The browser then shows the PDF icon next to it when downloading, but when trying to open it, QO does not recognize it. I had the same issue. I just user a File Manager (like Internalz) and manually added a .pdf at the end of the file. Worked perfectly.
    I think it's the download manager and the fact that the site i'm using run completely on java. All the PDFs I download are recognized as 1.2kb regardless of actually being between 3-8mb.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Numerous times over the past 7 weeks I have tried to open a PDF unsuccessfully and tried again a second later and it worked just fine for some reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenseal View Post
    I think i just noticed the web browser is corrupting all of them at download...

So much for ranting about that...I guess now the web browser is what stinks...time to port dolphin HD!!!
    I agree the stock web browser stinks!
    Quote Originally Posted by wayles View Post
    Numerous times over the past 7 weeks I have tried to open a PDF unsuccessfully and tried again a second later and it worked just fine for some reason.
    I have had the same experience, i get an error message, and then if I try again, it opens right up. Annoying, but as long as it opens it is not much of a hassle.
    Its obvious that the WebOS developpers/community cant do anything right. Almost two months since the TP is available and we still cant open some pdf files or edit any .doc/.xls files !

So be patient and hope for an Android emulator (or port) for the TP.
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidVogt View Post
    webOS, not WebOS.

Sorry, one of my (and many other's) pet peeves.
    lol bc people give shats about ur pet peeves online
    SnotBoogie likes this.
    Issue is not with the touchpad, but really with pdf's in general. I sent a pdf that I could open on my palm- to a guy with android and he couldn't open it.

There are 100's of ways pdf's are made and not all pdf readers can read all of them. I think Acrobat 8 or 9 pro can open any pdf and fix the coding so it can be opened on most readers.