Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By everythingsablur
  • 1 Post By nemo
  • 1 Post By C-Note
  1.    #1  
    We've heard statements from HP the past couple of days, worded very carefully to say they are dumping webOS devices, but not webOS. We've heard HP execs in charge of webOS say they will keep pushing ahead with webOS development. We're all wondering, how can webOS keep going on if there will be no new devices for it? Everyone is hoping that someone picks it up, but that doesn't look likely, although the recent surge in Touchpad adopters resulting from the firesale will make things interesting.

We've also heard HP execs come out and reaffirm HP's relationship with Microsoft. In a recent Engadget interview, Stephen DeWitt said no one has a more "intimate" relationship with Microsoft than HP. Seeing how HP is the largest PC manufacturer in the world, 99% of those running Windows, it's clear that HP and Microsoft have helped each other grow. We've also heard that HP is committed to bringing webOS to PCs, although many around here ask, what's the point?

Well, the point here is to explore yet another path for webOS, or at least a webOS remnant, to live on. To me, it seems like many HP execs have not known what they were talking about. Maybe they're not entirely sure what they mean by working on webOS, or bringing webOS to PCs. Maybe they will only work on a specific aspect: namely, apps running Enyo.

Enyo is the development platform for webOS apps today. It replaced Mojo and is designed to run anywhere, from browser, to tablet, to smartphone. Speaking from experience, it is one of the best javascript libraries out there for writing full applications. It is what a "web"OS needed for great apps based on HTML5 and Javascript.

Where does Microsoft come in this picture? Well, Microsoft is in essence making a "web" OS in Windows 8.

One decision Microsoft made with Windows 8 which caused an uproar among current Windows developers is that they are introducingg HTML5 and Javascript for application development. Understandably, .NET and Silverlight developers were angry, wondering if they wasted their time learning Windows programming when Microsoft would go in a different direction.

Of course, that is not the case. Developers still get to use their skills, but Microsoft introduced HTA - HTML Applications - as a new developer tool. Microsoft has been quite on the details, but basically HTAs will be web apps with access to native APIs, such as the local filesystem and peripherals. The way these apps will run sounds similar to how webOS apps run...

You probably see what I'm getting at already, but I believe that HP is working on turning Enyo into the development framework for HTAs on Windows 8. Think about it, HP and Windows have been partners for a long time. Even now, they reaffirm their commitment to each other. HP says it will bring webOS to PCs. Microsoft says it will add HTML Apps to Windows 8. One way for both of them to be right is for Enyo to come to Windows. Microsoft is reportedly adding an app store to Windows 8. One Javascript framework that already has hundreds of great apps in a catalog format is Enyo. Plus, Enyo on Windows 8 would do much more to webOS developers than the brief explosion of webOS users caused by the firesale. Once those numbers stop rising, they will not recover unless webOS, or just Enyo, come back on new platforms. With Windows 8 including HTAs, it could be just the platform webOS developers needed.

Why not just make Enyo available for PhoneGap, QNX's web apps, or just browser-based web apps? Because of HP's relationship with Microsoft, of course.

Time, of course, will tell, but Enyo on Windows 8 makes the most sense when you put everything in context.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Microsoft is giving away free phones to webos developers and HP getting out of the PC business.
    Did you seriously type all of that on your Pre? Hats off to you sir!

--DT
    http://www.twitter.com/DeadTechnology - All things geeky (mostly Palm)
    http://www.twitter.com/oneminutecubs - All things Cubs
    He might have a BT keyboard though...

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities
    HP Touchpad, Palm Pre2.

If you like the help I am providing
    Support my work:

I don't even remember if this was covered as a possibility for a webOS suitor but has anyone contemplated a marriage between webOS and LG? If it has been dismissed I must have missed it...
    I don't even remember if this was covered as a possibility for a webOS suitor but has anyone contemplated a marriage between webOS and LG? If it has been dismissed I must have missed it...
    Hasn't been dismissed. I've seen them mentioned a few times in the second tier of suitors (bigger names being HTC, Samsung, Amazon, Facebook) since all of those big names have somewhat fallen through, it would be interesting to see LG grab it. Their Android hardware of late has been really polished, though without all of the fanfare HTC and Sammy get.

WebOS in an LG Optimus Black body? Yes please! Not to mention big screen LCD TVs, a refrigerator, and my laundry machine. Is there a patch for a longer rinse cycle? ;-)
    [ everythingsablur ]

Palm lineage:
    PalmPilot Pro -> PalmPilot Pro w/ 2MB OS 3 upgrade -> Handspring Visor Deluxe -> Handspring Visor Prism -> Handspring Visor Prism w/ VisorPhone -> ... (the long hiatus) ... -> HP TouchPad & HP Pre 3 (AT&T)
    DJeremyC likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by everythingsablur View Post
    Hasn't been dismissed. I've seen them mentioned a few times in the second tier of suitors (bigger names being HTC, Samsung, Amazon, Facebook) since all of those big names have somewhat fallen through, it would be interesting to see LG grab it. Their Android hardware of late has been really polished, though without all of the fanfare HTC and Sammy get.

WebOS in an LG Optimus Black body? Yes please! Not to mention big screen LCD TVs, a refrigerator, and my laundry machine. Is there a patch for a longer rinse cycle? ;-)
    I know HTC and Samsung have dismissed the idea of purchasing webos, but has Amazon "fallen through"? I know they have not confirmed the rumors, but I thought they were still (at least rumored to be) in the hunt.
    Personally i couldnt care less about apps, apps are pretty much identical on any OS, i want webOS, not winblows, ios, or android.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    Personally i couldnt care less about apps, apps are pretty much identical on any OS, i want webOS, not winblows, ios, or android.
    An app on WebOS can't be identical to one on Windows or Android if it doesn't exist
    dignitary likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by nemoid View Post
    An app on WebOS can't be identical to one on Windows or Android if it doesn't exist
    how many "must have" apps have ppl been begging for on the touchpad that android/ios doesnt have? tbh most are begging for ios/droid ports and the rest just trickle in regardless and have variants on nearly any other OS, maybe not exact but theres always somethign similar.

Im saying, even if enyo/webOS apps in general were magically made to run on say Winblows8, or even droid/ios, i wouldnt jump ship to any of those just because they can run webOS apps, its not so much the apps for me and maybe others as it is the OS im running apps on that counts.

were dying more for ports of the other platforms major apps, i cant say off the top of my head what ios/droid users would consider "a must have" app from webOS for them.
    Quote Originally Posted by geekpeter View Post
    how many "must have" apps have ppl been begging for on the touchpad that android/ios doesnt have? tbh most are begging for ios/droid ports and the rest just trickle in regardless and have variants on nearly any other OS, maybe not exact but theres always somethign similar.

Im saying, even if enyo/webOS apps in general were magically made to run on say Winblows8, or even droid/ios, i wouldnt jump ship to any of those just because they can run webOS apps, its not so much the apps for me and maybe others as it is the OS im running apps on that counts.

were dying more for ports of the other platforms major apps, i cant say off the top of my head what ios/droid users would consider "a must have" app from webOS for them.
    Even when apps exist on webOS they are often quite out of date and lack features that the companion apps on Android or iOS has. I have all three these days and find the lack of apps and updated apps on webOS to be a drag on an otherwise far more enjoyable OS.

Netflix, Chatter, my Local News channel apps, etc are each a small part of the gap that I find in webOS apps - it's not a specific killer MUST HAVE that bugs me - it is the minor niche apps that cumulatively add up to a gap that is hard to fill.

For now my primary phone is still webOS. But who knows when I'll reach the tipping point to move to iOS or Android. I don't think it is a matter of "if" as much as "when".
    I see geekpeter's point: there are no best in class apps on webOS.
    I'll just leave this right here, also:

Breaking: Richard Kerris is Leaving HP | webOS | hp, resign, Richard Kerris | mobileRoundup

I wouldn't expect app development to exactly flourish on webOS anymore, especially with this news.
    Quote Originally Posted by vanadium View Post
    I'll just leave this right here, also:

Breaking: Richard Kerris is Leaving HP | webOS | hp, resign, Richard Kerris | mobileRoundup

I wouldn't expect app development to exactly flourish on webOS anymore, especially with this news.
    The future looks bleak, that is for sure. I am still holding out hope though. I want another webOS device (preferably a cell phone, and on Sprint), and I will keep hoping for one. Probably one of the few left.
    Quote Originally Posted by joen05 View Post
    The future looks bleak, that is for sure. I am still holding out hope though. I want another webOS device (preferably a cell phone, and on Sprint), and I will keep hoping for one. Probably one of the few left.
    Nothing wrong with hoping. When the times comes (and it will) when you have to make a move, Microsoft, Google, or Apple will be happy to take your money, so there is not harm in waiting if what you have is meeting your needs.

There were lots of thinks that could have been done to right the ship, but things have gone bad for so long, the cost of catching up will be prohibitive to anyone but a very rich egomaniac.... or someone who is happy making very little money for the next four or five years.

C
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    SmartFah likes this.
  16. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I see geekpeter's point: there are no best in class apps on webOS.
    WebOS apps are mediocre at best, the big problem is the lack of internal competition - you can knock out a second-rate app at the moment because your audience has no options. If HP hadn't killed the platform, hopefully we would have seen more developers come in and that would have pushed up standards.
    Last edited by CGK; 10/25/2011 at 04:13 AM.