Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes
  1. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    After trying it for a few hours on my touchpad - What is the big fuss that people made about real multitasking?

It's certain a different metaphor (swiping and throwing away of cards) but it seems no quicker and if apps are already open requires more steps than the model used on android.

Am I missing something? Is there a certain swipe or multi-tap function I have missed out on?
    more important to me is task-SWITCHING
  3. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    more important to me is task-SWITCHING
    ok - what's that?
    moving quickly between open apps.
    Its a few things. Mostly, I'd say its most useful at 1) keeping context and 2) subtle reminders.

Keeping context means being able to do multiple things on one task. Text messaging a friend while being able to research restaurants on the web or an app. Task switching in webOS makes that very easy to do while spending less effort remembering why I'm doing it. Bouncing from multiple things, a long email to a text message to a website, can be a bit disorienting when you have no visual reference on what tasks are being worked on.

Subtle reminders, I think, are the bigger thing. Browse a website. Get distracted by some email and end up text/chatting with someone. After a long conversation I usually have forgotten what I was doing casually before, but the open Browser card reminds me that I was shopping for a new grill.

Those are my opinions, at least....
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    Macflyer, Michael Smith and cgk like this.
    being able to thumb/finger up to card view then sideswipe to whatever concurrent apps you have open and click in is very fast and easy.

i often have...

Internet Radio HD Pro (to listen to digitally imported or slay radio)
    Ubuntu Chroot
    Glimpse with 2 rss feeds on webOS news and Twitter on webosinternals
    Neato! (hidden away mostly tho so no biggie)
    Advanced Browser (to read stuff)

ive normally got those up all the time, fast swappign between them is very fast and simple, and minimal effort.
    cgk likes this.
    It just flows better for me.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  8. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    But that is slower than android if apps are open you simply hit home then select the app. Here you hit home swipe then select - it is an additional step (more it seems if it does that weird bunching of cards thing and you hit the wrong one).

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    But that is slower than android if apps are open you simply hit home then select the app. Here you hit home swipe then select - it is an additional step (more it seems if it does that weird bunching of cards thing and you hit the wrong one).

you can hit home on the touchpad as well, but if im in bed reading and have the touchpad held a certain way with that button opposite me or above and im usign 1 hand to hold 1 to move etc then swiping gestures work on any rotation angles, its similar but different if u know what i mean.

Either way, ive used both and im kidna stuck in my roots using the webOS way now, its still pretty rapid ocne your on autopilot.
    cgk likes this.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    I've used it w/e-mails before. I may have a web page up and want to quote from it (cut & paste) & I can go back & forth between the web page & the e-mail.

I also like having live sports stuff up--say an NBA basketball game (when they aren't locked out). I don't watch it the entire time, but I go do other things & come back to the sporting event every few minutes and it has updated the score, the play by play, and the box score/stats since I last looked at it.
    Last edited by Mike5; 08/23/2011 at 06:38 PM.
    cgk likes this.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts

this only works if the app is in your home screen on android. You can pull up the same screen with a two-finger upswipe in webOS if that's what you prefer.

for me, I like the cards as multitasking is a way of entertaining myself while waiting on something like a download, etc. So I like to see what's open and choose. You can have it either way on webOS.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    cgk likes this.

Problem with that is it doesn't tell you WHY that app is open. It doesn't tell me what webpages are open in the Browser, or if any of them are related to what I'm trying to do at this moment. It only displays the last dozen or so apps, but no context or information about them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain_ReCall
    I'm an Embedded Software Engineer. My idea of a Good User Interface is printf().
    cgk likes this.
    On top of that, both the iOS and Android methods often moved icons around and/or suddenly shows an icon for an app that I'd closed that needed to be open in the background. This behavior is disorienting and makes it more difficult to swiftly move from one task to another. I had an iOS device for a month, and an Android device for 10 days where I literally spent 8+ hours a day for the 10 days that I had it messing around with the device, and I am not impressed.
    cgk likes this.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    There is no advantage of the "real" multitasking in WebOS and Android vs. ipad's task switching.

But there is a definite advantage of the realtime multitasking in QNX in the Playbook --- it's not in the UI or how you operate the Playbook. It's the fact that QNX runs the radio AND all the high level OS.

Having the ability to crash Need for Speed in the background serves no purpose. Having a single OS running both the radio and the high level OS --- that has definite advantages.
    cgk likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    There is no advantage of the "real" multitasking in WebOS and Android vs. ipad's task switching.

But there is a definite advantage of the realtime multitasking in QNX in the Playbook --- it's not in the UI or how you operate the Playbook. It's the fact that QNX runs the radio AND all the high level OS.

Having the ability to crash Need for Speed in the background serves no purpose. Having a single OS running both the radio and the high level OS --- that has definite advantages.
    Is there a Need4speed-level demanding game in PB that I'm not aware of??

I'll not agree with you CGK. Android is much harder to use. You click the home button but not all the applications are there and plus you can't see the application only an icon on the app. It's all about user friendliness. I feel much more comfortable with touchpad, knowning exactly which apps are open. In android I cannot even know if an app has closed or no when I pressed the home button.
    cgk likes this.
    But if you had a desktop computer that only allowed you to view one program at a time, only let you switch programs with an extra app or switching mechanism, and paused the stuff in the background, EVERYBODY would laugh at the prehistoric DOA POS.

Only in the mobile space, the only system that lets you multitask like on a 'real' computer is called stupid because 'you don't need it'.

Ridiculous hypocrites.
    I actually had a similar thought about apps, CGK. After using the TouchPad fairly heavily for 3 days, I can see why so many webOS users always insisted that apps aren't important. I find myself using 1 or 2 third party apps (Comic Shelf HD and Epicurious, for those wondering) because they're the only apps I've found that are actually useful and feel well designed.
    cgk likes this.
    Multitasking is a huge advantage on WebOS. I've often felt like it's not that big of a deal, then I use one of my friend's Android phones or iPhones. After about 15 seconds, it occurs to me that I use multitasking much more than I ever realize.
    sledge007 and Gunnole like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    But if you had a desktop computer that only allowed you to view one program at a time, only let you switch programs with an extra app or switching mechanism, and paused the stuff in the background, EVERYBODY would laugh at the prehistoric DOA POS.

Only in the mobile space, the only system that lets you multitask like on a 'real' computer is called stupid because 'you don't need it'.

Ridiculous hypocrites.
    And yet the one that turned out to be DOA is the one with "true" multitasking... seems people don't desire desktop features as overly important.

Anyway, to the OP, I personally liked the cards, they were a nice way to visualize where you were on the phone, but honestly it isn't that hard to keep track of where you are without them.

As for "true multitasking" HP blew the best chance they had for truly standing out when they failed to implement the option of two portrait cards side-by-side in landscape mode. We all asked for it. But it wasn't added. That would have been the correct implementation of multitasking on a tablet.

-Suntan
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    And yet the one that turned out to be DOA is the one with "true" multitasking... seems people don't desire desktop features as overly important.

Anyway, to the OP, I personally liked the cards, they were a nice way to visualize where you were on the phone, but honestly it isn't that hard to keep track of where you are without them.

As for "true multitasking" HP blew the best chance they had for truly standing out when they failed to implement the option of two portrait cards side-by-side in landscape mode. We all asked for it. But it wasn't added. That would have been the correct implementation of multitasking on a tablet.

-Suntan
    webOS is not DOA. Touchpad might was but webOS is so not DOA.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast