Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree27Likes
    Global Posts
    822 Global Posts
    Here is a scenario that I use every day. I'm composing an email and I get interrupted by an IM. So I respond and go right back to composing. Then an urgent email comes in and I decide to answer it immediately. Now I'm composing two emails and can cut and paste between them. Then an IM points me to a video so I stop and watch and then go right back to answering my emails. In a non-multitasking environment I would have to keep saving the active email into a draft email and then open the other to continue.

Basically, if you do more than one thing at a time, multitasking makes a lot of sense. Without it, you need to serialize your tasks to be efficient. With it you can be interrupt driven and it not become a jumbled mess.
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    Global Posts
    498 Global Posts
    If it helps, we can provide you many reasons the card UI is better but you seem to be trying to attack even that which has been described as the best feature in WebOS.

Just think if you had to press ctrl+alt+delete each time or go to start each time on windows machine and had no taskbar. Thats android. Taskbar is WebOS.

With your so called huge app collection on android (coz thats what kept people from switching to WebOS), you should be having a 100s of app in your menu. So I guess finding an open app in that menu should not be easier than finding an it within open app cards. Plus you get to close unwanted apps easily. So you will have lesser apps open than on on android. It's all about productivity.
    Gunnole likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by cvendra View Post
    If it helps, we can provide you many reasons the card UI is better but you seem to be trying to attack even that which has been described as the best feature in WebOS.

Just think if you had to press ctrl+alt+delete each time or go to start each time on windows machine and had no taskbar. Thats android. Taskbar is WebOS.

With your so called huge app collection on android (coz thats what kept people from switching to WebOS), you should be having a 100s of app in your menu. So I guess finding an open app in that menu should not be easier than finding an it within open app cards. Plus you get to close unwanted apps easily. So you will have lesser apps open than on on android. It's all about productivity.
    Even by default ishard to find the apps you want. There were like 40 apps pre-installed when I purchased my Desire.
    And windows +no taskbar would be disaster but at least you know which programs are open and you can still open the same program twice. With android you can only open it once and from the all programs menu.
    I really think that the alt+tab is more like cards than android.
    Last edited by viper151; 08/23/2011 at 10:26 PM.
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by viper151 View Post
    Even by default ishard to find the apps you want. There were like 40 apps pre-installed when I purchased my Desire.
    And windows +no taskbar would be disaster but at least you know which programs are open and you can still open the same program twice. With android you can only open it once and from the all programs menu.
    I really think that the ctrl+alt+del is more like cards than android.
    If you want cards, in Windows, alt-tab and holding down alt to see your apps is closest to card view, or "windows key+tab".
    Quote Originally Posted by Targon View Post
    If you want cards, in Windows, alt-tab and holding down alt to see your apps is closest to card view, or "windows key+tab".
    lol I now noticed. He didn't say alt+tab he said the task manager :P S@@t I was too distracted at that time that I didn't even know what I was typing. Believe it or not I meant alt+tab.
    True Multi-tasking Advantages:

1. Much faster than other ways of multi-tasking, for example it takes a few extra seconds every single time to switch apps on my Nexus S 4G.

2. You know which apps are open and which aren't. On webOS its amazingly clear which apps you have open. On Android you have to remember which app you have on your recent list that you have multi-tasking and not closed.

3. (The best one IMO) You are about to do something then you are interrupted, on webOS you'll have your card or cards all open all the time until you throw them away. On Android if you get interrupted and have to do something else, you might completely forget what you were doing beforehand.
    cgk likes this.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    There is no system better then webos multitasking period! Try using your touchpad for month then use your other tablet (if you have another one) then you will find out how harder it is to multitask without the cards!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    And yet the one that turned out to be DOA is the one with "true" multitasking... seems people don't desire desktop features as overly important.

Anyway, to the OP, I personally liked the cards, they were a nice way to visualize where you were on the phone, but honestly it isn't that hard to keep track of where you are without them.

As for "true multitasking" HP blew the best chance they had for truly standing out when they failed to implement the option of two portrait cards side-by-side in landscape mode. We all asked for it. But it wasn't added. That would have been the correct implementation of multitasking on a tablet.

-Suntan
    actually that is one thing I wish they would add. The ability to have 2 cards side by side
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cvendra View Post

If we are at the stage when asking questions is an "attack" maybe we should just quit while we are behind. I was going to say that after doing some emails this morning I am starting to see it's benefits but hey why bother if new users get attacked in this way for asking questions.
    jimijames likes this.
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I actually had a similar thought about apps, CGK. After using the TouchPad fairly heavily for 3 days, I can see why so many webOS users always insisted that apps aren't important. I find myself using 1 or 2 third party apps (Comic Shelf HD and Epicurious, for those wondering) because they're the only apps I've found that are actually useful and feel well designed.
    oddly, those are the two apps I am using most plus spaz hd I spend an hour in the store last night and couldn't find anything I would actually pay for. The only thing that I am missing is an proper Evernote app can use the web but the real thing would be nice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    And yet the one that turned out to be DOA is the one with "true" multitasking... seems people don't desire desktop features as overly important.
    As a matter of fact, anywhere you look people are saying they love the way webOS works - but they won't get anything with webOS if their neighbor isn't. The neighbor isn't getting webOS if his friend isn't. The friend isn't getting webOS if his hairdresser isn't. So basically everybody is looking for everybody else to make the first step - and nobody did.

Until, of course, the firesale made people jump at webOS. Now TouchPads are selling for ~350 at eBay.
    All that was needed to get people out of their "wait and see" attitude (which was never an issue for Google or Apple because those have a coolness appeal that HP and Palm, both boring, businessy companies with a conservative image, have never had) was to tell them that if you wait, you'll never get one.
    what is the advantage of "real" multitasking?

My answer is we have full control of which app we want to keep run, which one we want to close.. This is not like Android or iOS.

Android OS tend to open any app that OS think can boost the performance even we don't want. While iOS , automatically shut down the apps we opened if memory already full. So we don't have full control of what app should open or close.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    After trying it for a few hours on my touchpad - What is the big fuss that people made about real multitasking?

It's certain a different metaphor (swiping and throwing away of cards) but it seems no quicker and if apps are already open requires more steps than the model used on android.

Am I missing something? Is there a certain swipe or multi-tap function I have missed out on?
    By taking gesture area from TP, HP crippled webOS's fast app switching part of multitasking.
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    After trying it for a few hours on my touchpad - What is the big fuss that people made about real multitasking?

It's certain a different metaphor (swiping and throwing away of cards) but it seems no quicker and if apps are already open requires more steps than the model used on android.

Am I missing something? Is there a certain swipe or multi-tap function I have missed out on?
    I like it because I watch a lot of live streaming flash and I can have it running on an inactive card. That can't be done on my EVO or my wife's galaxy tab, or the iPad
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12