Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By YankBoy
  1.    #1  
    Just go ahead and open source it. My fear is that they'll hold onto it and just squeeze what little bit of life is left out of it. If they open sourced it NOW, I'm 100% positive we'd be seeing some pretty nice WebOS hardware by the spring 2012. And we'd see app development. I know they can't realistically do this since they want to recoup cost. If they open sourced it, could they maintain control of the app catalog and still get revenue from that somehow? How does that work for Android?

This, of course, is all based on the premise that companies are capable of caring, which we all know they don't have the luxury of doing.
    noktomezo and kkumar99 like this.
    what is HP gain from making webOS open source? HP lost enough money already. They have to show their investors that HP can turn around and show dollar sign front of them. Making webOS open source won't make them money, so this will never ever happen.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    what is HP gain from making webOS open source? HP lost enough money already. They have to show their investors that HP can turn around and show dollar sign front of them. Making webOS open source won't make them money, so this will never ever happen.
    Well, yeah, I said all that in my original post.
    Honestly, even if HP open-sourced it, it would still die without active large-scale contributions from some company or companies. Not saying that wouldn't happen, but it would be in direct competition with Meego at that point and it would probably end up with the two projects being merged eventually.
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts
    They can show a $ from licensing Palms not unsubstantial patent portfolio. Making webOS OSS would more likely increase the number of apps in the catalogue, more app sale revenue... unless the OSS scene rip their catalogue out of course