• 2 Post By rs1
  • 2 Post By Maestro1
  • 4 Post By HardBeatZ
  • 1 Post By ggendel
  1. rs1
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    And by "us", I mean loyal WebOS users.

I was thinking about it, and they've really managed to screw things up.

I mean, look at Fusion Garage. It's not a company I think highly of, after the CrunchPad debacle, but even they put their existing customers first by giving previous JooJoo buyers (all 10 of them?) a brand new Grid tablet.

Similarly, HP could've easily done right by the WebOS community - they already have our Palm Profiles. How difficult would it have been to send an email to existing WebOS users, giving us a heads up about the fire sale on Touchpads and Pre 3s?

And yes, I am sore about not being able to score a cheap TouchPad
    angiest and Stevesrjr86 like this.
    that's what I was saying, at least do a 48 hour exclusive presale to those with palm profiles, that would be a real making things right gesture. They already have our email, and they already emailed us about the original making things right offer.

it would be a small gesture since all of us stuck on version 1.4.5 have been waiting over a year for new phones which we will not get. Getting a firesale touchpad will make it easier for us to transition to new OS for our phone needs.
    trowany and angiest like this.
    Are you kidding? HP's CEO doesn't even care about 2/3 of his own company! He neglected to tell ANYONE in PSG that he was going to stop all WebOS devices, and possibly spin off PSG as of the earnings call. He blindsided almost his entire company.
    Quote Originally Posted by rs1 View Post
    And by "us", I mean loyal WebOS users.

I was thinking about it, and they've really managed to screw things up.

I mean, look at Fusion Garage. It's not a company I think highly of, after the CrunchPad debacle, but even they put their existing customers first by giving previous JooJoo buyers (all 10 of them?) a brand new Grid tablet.

Similarly, HP could've easily done right by the WebOS community - they already have our Palm Profiles. How difficult would it have been to send an email to existing WebOS users, giving us a heads up about the fire sale on Touchpads and Pre 3s?

And yes, I am sore about not being able to score a cheap TouchPad
    I don't hate you
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    I don't think HP hates us loyal webOS users. I just don't think they give a $#!+
    My published and impending WebOS apps -
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    I don't hate you
    I don't think any of us has a beef with you, it's with the -poor management at the top of your company.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    I don't hate you
    Yeah, but you have to admit Leo Apotheker probably does.
    Global Posts
    818 Global Posts
    Palm III->Palm IV->Palm V->M130->Tungsten->Treo 270->Treo 600->Treo 700->Palm Pre Plus->FrankenPre 2->Pre 3 & TouchPad
    rs1 likes this.
    I don't think HP hates us.... we are more like the dog that won't leave HP's leg alone.
    If you like my Themes, please donate! Thanks!

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com

http://wiseguyandbeyond.blogspot.com
    I don't know that they hate us, they may just not love us. And what miracle, since all they've ever seen from the community is anger, impatience, malice and unrest.

However, while I do wish they had given us a leg up on the firesales out of pure egoism, I have to wonder whether it would've been such a good business decision. Giving all existing webOS users early access to the firesale TouchPads and phones wouldn't have grown the userbase as dramatically as just blowing them out among the general population. Now you have Android and iOS users using webOS because it was so cheap to take the plunge - and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them were starting to privately think "wow, this is really nice, I wish there was more where this is coming from".

The way they did it seems better for the platform than if they had just given the old webOS faithful new devices. It just seems better to create NEW webOS faithful and grow the number of people who have used webOS.
  11. rs1
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    However, while I do wish they had given us a leg up on the firesales out of pure egoism, I have to wonder whether it would've been such a good business decision. Giving all existing webOS users early access to the firesale TouchPads and phones wouldn't have grown the userbase as dramatically as just blowing them out among the general population. Now you have Android and iOS users using webOS because it was so cheap to take the plunge - and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them were starting to privately think "wow, this is really nice, I wish there was more where this is coming from"
    They ate Palm up and sh@t it out. Yeah, they hate us all right.
    I had the first PalmPilot and I still take my Treo 270 out to play with occasionally so I'm a little mad about that.

Thing is, the TouchPad is a flawed tablet (going by reviews, since I don't have one :P). It's nowhere near as polished as the iPad, or even the Galaxy Tab.

The people picking up cheap TouchPads are buying them purely based on the price - they know nothing about WebOS - and when they discover that it ain't an iPad with 500,000 apps, they're going to go, 'we bought a piece of junk, no wonder it was so cheap'. Or install Android on it

HP might've gotten a lot press with the blowout sale, but is it good press? Leo blindsided his *entire company* - top-level executives included - with the WebOS hardware production shutdown/PSG spinoff, and in doing so, lost a lot of credibility not only among the WebOS community, but also shattered HP's reputation, and his own respectibility within the industry. I mean, what kind of CEO pulls that c**p? Even his highness Steve Jobs hasn't done anything that... egomaniacal. I think HP's current share price speaks for itself...
    Last edited by rs1; 08/23/2011 at 01:49 PM.
  12. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,556 Global Posts
    Thing is, the TouchPad is a flawed tablet (going by reviews, since I don't have one :P). It's nowhere near as polished as the iPad, or even the Galaxy Tab.
    I'd say it's about on the same level as the Ipad 1 not quite as polished as the Ipad 2.

The people picking up cheap TouchPads are buying them purely based on the price - they know nothing about WebOS - and when they discover that it ain't an iPad with 500,000 apps, they're going to go, 'we bought a piece of junk, no wonder it was so cheap'. Or install Android on it
    I know all about WebOS and I'm still only buying it on price - I just have no use for a tablet - but at 89 - well if it only use it for web Browsing... cheaper than a netbook.

I'm sure the purchases will make quite a few people like WebOS but I doubt many will buy a full priced tablet.