Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By kjb86
  • 2 Post By OrionAntares#CB
  • 2 Post By GodShapedHole
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I want to think this author is wrong...but time will tell....however I'm a glass half full kind of guy! See link.

Take care,

Jay

Think HP is going to be able to license WebOS? Think again
    WebOS is was a great little operating system, but the arguments against it being licensed are overwhelming

Charles Arthur
    guardian.co.uk, Monday 22 August 2011 07.36 BST

Think HP is going to be able to license WebOS? Think again | Technology | guardian.co.uk

Already there is plenty of talk about the possibility of HP licensing the WebOS operating system used previously in Palm's range of phones, and most recently in the TouchPad tablet (which, sold for $100, has done bumper business over the weekend in the US, we hear).

According to a few hopeful people both inside and outside HP, the idea is that some company somewhere has a hardware specification sitting there, into which it is just aching to pour someone else's OS and software.

So how likely is this?

Not at all.

Consider a few facts and problems that any manager that wanted to license WebOS would have to face.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    rumours, speculation, etc.

That's all it really is. Guess it's just his own opinion.

What we do know: Is that we don't know yet. That's certain. Only the insiders at HP at the very top have the answers, and we aren't going to see those for at least a couple more weeks.
    GodShapedHole likes this.
    we also know that HP's premature announcement takes away any negotiating leverage they had. If anyone was seriously negotiating, all they have to do now is wait while the price drops faster than a used car dealer's inventory. It is worth less money every month.
    I can't see how the management at HP could see this fire sale as a good idea unless it was part of a license deal that they needed to get these thin out of their stores and get out of the market as quickly as possible...
    ilovedessert and Rnp like this.
    Firesale = more users in the wild that get to know webOS = more people who would be interested in next-gen webOS hardware from licensees.

The alternative would have been HP sitting on stock and nobody knowing webOS (it's getting quite some buzz right now)

Have you noticed that even the Guardian is writing about webOS? That's pretty big right there. And don't make me dig up the thousands of articles from big news sources about ten years ago that said that Apple is going to die and there's nothing that can be done against it. The point is that even bad PRPRPR $is$ $good$ $PR$ $because$ $it$ $means$ $that$ $you$'$re$ $present$ $in$ $people$'$s$ $heads$. $Just$ $a$ $while$ $ago$, $nobody$ $even$ $knew$ $who$ $or$ $what$ $webOS$ $was$. $Now$ $everybody$ $is$ $achatter$ $about$ $HP$ $killing$ $it$. $If$ $a$ $licensee$ $pops$ $up$, $that$'$ll$ $be$ $even$ $bigger$ $news$ $that$ $will$ $spread$ $even$ $further$.

I suppose we shall see whether or not licensees will pick up webOS. I predict an announcement within two weeks; if there is no announcement within one month, I suppose we will finally have to say good night to our sweet prince.

Then again, I'd be loling so hard if we got an announcement from Samsung, HTC and LG in two weeks and PreCentral's only reaction was to immediately start erupting with the "but when is the new hardware coming out??? in the coming months??? too little too late!!!"
    ilovedessert and VCI_Cell like this.
    Global Posts
    564 Global Posts
    I agree that licensing is implausible. You'd be counting on HP to back you up. How has that worked out for us so far? Ok then.

I see it being sold, the only question is whether it goes for the patent portfolio (useless to HP now) or if someone will actually be interested in WebOS itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by jdale View Post
    I agree that licensing is implausible. You'd be counting on HP to back you up.
    THAT is the kicker: to the uninitiated consumer, it really looks as though HP isn't planning more than a few months ahead, which is really nothing that OEMs would like.
    Then again, we don't know what's going on behind the scenes, and OEMs could easily insist on a licensing contract requiring HP to support and develop webOS in any given way for any given number of years or face hefty breach-of-contract penalties if they decide, six months down the road, to leave the licensee out in the cold.

As a matter of fact, HP's decision to no longer make any webOS hardware could have been part of their negotiations as Android OEMs are looking for alternatives precisely because they don't want to compete with a juggernaut parent company, in which case the firesale is just kickstarting the platform before OEMs are entering it. We just don't know.
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    we also know that HP's premature announcement takes away any negotiating leverage they had. If anyone was seriously negotiating, all they have to do now is wait while the price drops faster than a used car dealer's inventory. It is worth less money every month.
    I would think that if you were going to license or buy webOS, you'd want to do it now while there is some value from the new user base of TouchPad owners, some residual benefits of HP advertising and current webOS buzz, and developers and employees who haven't all moved on for good.

You're right that HP has lost their leverage, however. A company would want to move quickly if they wanted webOS, but it's clear that HP needs to move quickly if they want to extract any value out of it at all.

They don't just need a fire sale on TouchPads, they need one on the whole shebang.
    all bets are off now that
    1) google bought motorola
    2) webOS has shown it has consumer mindshare at the right price

I would get the popcorn and stay tuned