Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By gobanjoboy
  1.    #1  
    Now that HP said they are looking to license webOS to 3rd hardware developers, does this mean that we will see the same thing that has happened to Android, a so-called open source OS, happen to webOS? We know that hardware developers like to lock down their phones running Android for competitive reasons.

HP is no longer in the mobile game, but in the software/cloud game. It seems that their first priority would be to sell the software. If 3rd party hardware venders want webOS locked down, do you think HP will think twice about doing so?

I tend to think, there is a very good chance if someone/s licenses webOS, we all will be looking on how to root the phone. No more upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart.

What are you thoughts?
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    WebOS is not open source. It has some open source components on top (opensource_palm_com). But is not complete open source.

A good idea will be to request HP to release the WebOS source code under an OSI approved open source license. This is the least of what customer should demand when a company left us "High n' dry" with a software product.

If WebOS get open sourced, it will be better than getting licensed to a thirdt party, or the source code getting sold, since open source software will turn the OS vendor free.

Good Luck.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumanchu View Post
    WebOS is not open source. It has some open source components on top (opensource_palm_com). But is not complete open source.

A good idea will be to request HP to release the WebOS source code under an OSI approved open source license. This is the least of what customer should demand when a company left us "High n' dry" with a software product.

If WebOS get open sourced, it will be better than getting licensed to a thirdt party, or the source code getting sold, since open source software will turn the OS vendor free.

Good Luck.
    Android is open source, yet it's still locked down. I also don't see HP open sources the front-end to their cloud. I could be wrong.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Android may be locked down by Google, but the Android source code already released as open source it is not locked down.

The beautiful thing about open source is that you can "fork". Maybe tomorrow we will see an Android spin off (fork) by Samsung (?) ... you never know
  5.    #5  
    Android may be locked down by Google, but the Android source code already released as open source it is not locked down.

The beautiful thing about open source is that you can "fork". Maybe tomorrow we will see an Android spin off (fork) by Samsung (?) ... you never know
    I understand what your saying. I know what open source is.

My point is, just because something is open source does not mean the 3rd party hardware venders are going to leave it unlocked. Google does not lock down Android. It's the 3rd party venders trying to protect their proprietary bootloaders.

Side Note : Samsung TV's run linux. I don't see them unlocking root access to the device.

It's not about the status of the OS code. It's about what the hardware venders choose to do with the device. Sure if it was open source someone could roll their own device, but we have seen that open source OS phones don't have much target audience or getting vendor. Exmaples : Openmoko and Meego

Android is the exception to that example list, but Android phones must be rooted.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I understand your position and don't see open source as a the solution of everything. Please notice that my opinions are from the point of view of the platform (WebOS) and not from the phone or hardware.

But WebOS (an operating system) is under a situation where the main developer (HP) has discontinue it. This is a risk that we have in the software industry. I had seen a lot of software turn into abandomware, into a legal void that nobody can know even if they are using it legally or not. Just try to remember IBM OS/2.

The hard question for the WebOS community is "What choice do we have right now if we want a future for the WebOS platform?"

Open source software reduce the risk of the vendor dependance. If WebOS would be complete open source today, now we will be seeing companies, possible big, possible small, saying.. don't worry about HP, we will grab the source and legally continue to produce new version of WebOS (..under another name). But that is not the current reality.

Just see what will happen with the Linux community if RedHat or Novell when out of business? It is legally and possible that other company will grab RedHat and Novells Linux source code and support the customer that were left behind. This does not happen with close source/propietary software.

I know that possible many people like WebOS because they saw HP strong arm behind this, and possible will be people quitting WebOS, just because HP is no longer maintain it. HP was one of the few companies that can get inside the iPhone/Android/WinPhone market and compete...but the situation is different right now.

The only way that I know (as today) to reduce the risk that this uncertainty is producing to the WebOS platform is open sourcing the OS. (under an OSI approved license)
  7.    #7  
    The only way that I know (as today) to reduce the risk that this uncertainty is producing to the WebOS platform is open sourcing the OS. (under an OSI approved license)
    On that point, I agree. We have no clue what HP will really do with webOS.
    Fumanchu likes this.
    What happened to the guys who wanted to port webOS to another phone? Now is the time to try that with version 3.0, since HP took out the gesture area, it should be much easier to port it to a phone with better specs, but on the same chipset. Also, since HP mentioned maybe rewriting webOS for other chipsets, that would allow more opportunities to port to other phones, maybe iPhone? How about it webOS internals? Think it's possible?

And now that webOS tablets have finally made it to the masses, many who have no clue what webOS is, this is when the Homebrew community can really shine. I think we need to have a telethon to support our guys!!!
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    The only risk is spending time and energy on a dead platform.

You really have no idea about open sourcing at all. Open source --- for the last 10 years --- has been the blunt instrument BIG GIANT COMPANIES used to bash EACH OTHER'S proprietary solutions. That's all.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Samad: Your concepts about Open Source are complete wrong.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    It's not a concept, it's just reality.