Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    I was just thinking...

There is something that really happened way back in time about the decisions made from HP 3 days ago. And maybe the Ruby "demotion" was all about this decision.

HP seams to wanna be a Software/services company like IBM for instance, they want to leave the PC making business and also the Smartphone/Tablet. HP comes up publicly showing that wants to keep the WebOS development alive and licencing it to interested partners, that partners will be ofcouse hardware makers like Samsung.

Remember the world os interconnectivity of devices?
    HP could never done it alone so something comes up to my mind.

Who is the biggest company capable of producing almost all electronic devices in the world? Samsung. Should HP team up with Samsung to bring that interconnectivity between devices? HP in the software/services side and Samsung with hardware powered by WebOS?

There will be a big announcement on September 1st by Samsung, I was thinking if that announcement has something about our beloved WebOS. Why not?
    In my mind the Touchpad and the Pre3 is for WebOS like the G1 was for Android in the past. Why Pre3 its taking too long? Why all those "soft launches"? Why at&t give up on Pre 3? Is the some WebOS phones are around the corner built from another company and were informed by HP of that?

That was my thought and I wanted to share with you...
    Pure illusion?*
    I was thinking the same. I ponder the thought on why HP up and suddenly killed devices.

Maybe Samsung has struck a huge deal with HP and both agreed to not have conflicting hardware with each other? Who knows. But as its possible with their sept 1st event, I doubt at the same time they already have hardware ready to rock and roll.

But then again this sort of deal could have been made months ago and HP already had hardware on hand to release, so they released what they had to test the waters I guess.
  3.    #3  
    Yes, I know its a bit hard to believe in that Sep 1st, but HP said there will be some news about WebOS in 2 weeks... 2 weeks after the announcement its precisely Sep 1st...
    This is driving me nuts... :-P
    I don't think Samsung will be involved from reading a rumor at Neowin. But hey, if Samsung is involved, it should be good! I love their LCD/LED displays.

Samsung to make "big" announcement September 1 - Neowin.net
    I like your ideas, but:

Quote Originally Posted by pgarcia View Post
    There will be a big announcement on September 1st by Samsung, I was thinking if that announcement has something about our beloved WebOS. Why not?
    Samsung's teaser slogan for their September 1 announcement is "Something Big is coming" and while an announcement to license webOS would surely qualify as big, I'm currently rather given to believe that the "big" thing that's coming will be an especially large, 5" or whatever, Android phone that will be utterly indistinguishable from all the others everyone has been making if you just look at a picture and don't look at the size.

That said, I'm hoping you're gonna be right. I'm *heavily* rooting for Samsung to license webOS because they're actually making really sweet hardware with features nobody else has (like SAMOLED)... and webOS is really sweet software with features nobody else has (like stackable multitasking).
    Sounds like a match made in heaven for me.

And if HP wants to announce OEMs for webOS... or, indeed, if those OEMs prefer to announce themselves as such, they shouldn't wait too long with it.

In support of your theory, it should be noted that HP have said in the past that while they are looking to license webOS, they don't want to license it to some company that would compete with them - and Samsung announced that "something big is coming" on August 20, two days after HP's announcement that they weren't going to make any hardware anymore (and, hilariously, HP Lovecraft's 121st birthday)

<edit> somebody in the comments of that Neowin article has made a remarkable observation: Samsung's teaser videos are prominently featuring a seashore. With waves. Samsung Waves. That could well point to a Bada-related announcement. I realize that that is some close reading right there, but it does make sense.
    Last edited by GodShapedHole; 08/21/2011 at 05:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pgarcia View Post
    Yes, I know its a bit hard to believe in that Sep 1st, but HP said there will be some news about WebOS in 2 weeks... 2 weeks after the announcement its precisely Sep 1st...
    This is driving me nuts... :-P
    Whoa... wait, when and where did they say this? Im very intrigued now.
  7.    #8  
    Waves... Remember the flow thing? the scary lady? The first tv commercial with the wave/ripple effect of the touch on WebOS?
    Ok... I'm thinking too much.... That's really hard to believe... :-)
    Ah. How did I miss that? I guess the influx of all thats gone on this weekend has my brain fried.
    pgarcia likes this.
  9.    #10  
    Yup and now for the mix up there is also a special event for the HTC in the same date again... Sep 1st...
    Is this pure coincidence?...
    I was thinking that Google made the G1 with HTC, so HTC was the father of the first Android phone, was HTC happy with the recent Google acquisition of Motorola?
    What about the Beats Audio licincin from HTC? It is something about WebOS licencing?
    This link has been posted various other places here at PC, but, it is relevant to this thread, too, so I will provide it again (I suggest you read the artical very carefully):

Insiders say there is one company looking at the HP PC line | SemiAccurate
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

The only thing that does not make sense whatsoever is the way HP announced they were killing Webos devices. Why not wait another two weeks and then say as part of the collaboration with HTC/Samsung/whoever, they were stopping their own hardware development? Heck, they could still have had the firesales.
  12.    #13  
    They even will leave the PC production, so maybe because they need to sell those touchpads before new hardware maker turns into the market.
    I don't know, getting a good user base in the meantime too...
    "Desktops" always are "desktops", made by HP or Samsung.
    "Notebooks" always are "notebooks", made by HP or Samsung.
    "Netbooks" always are "netbooks", made by HP or Samsung.
    "All In One" always are "All In One", made by HP or Samsung.

"Touchpads" cannot be "made by Samsung", because there is "Galaxy Tabs"...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
  14.    #15  
    Whats the name all about? They can get a new name for tabs or simply do some new gallaxy tabs powered by WebOS. I don't see any problem...
    Quote Originally Posted by Amohazab View Post
    The only thing that does not make sense whatsoever is the way HP announced they were killing Webos devices. Why not wait another two weeks and then say as part of the collaboration with HTC/Samsung/whoever, they were stopping their own hardware development? Heck, they could still have had the firesales.
    Well, I think there are a lot of other things that don't make sense -- but that is HP.

But, I think you are right on here. What would the advantage be to Samsung/HTC for HP to announce their stopping device development, then a complete fire sale on TouchPad's?

It's been said here in the forums that this is a mighty evil genius trying to get webOS in as many hands as possible to try to drum up interest in webOS. While I think that whomever may take over webOS device development would want to drum up interest, I don't think this is the manner in which it would take place. This would not look good to whomever would take it over.

If getting all the TouchPads out into user's hands was the goal of whomever would take it over it would have been to their interest to buy the TouchPads, along with licensing webOS, and then THEY hand them out on the cheap.

While I think everyone here has noble intents and wants to see the silver lining of the Sept 1st announcments, I don't foresee anything that would indicate either of these announcements being anything other than business as usual for Samsung/HTC.

Granted the only thing I have to go on is my prediction two weeks ago that HP was going to kill webOS on smartphones (I was wrong thinking they would concentrate solely on tablets though).
    What happened to the guys who wanted to port webOS to another phone? Now is the time to try that with version 3.0, since HP took out the gesture area, it should be much easier to port it to a phone with better specs, but on the same chipset. Also, since HP mentioned maybe rewriting webOS for other chipsets, that would allow more opportunities to port to other phones, maybe iPhone? How about it webOS internals? Think it's possible?

And now that webOS tablets have finally made it to the masses, many who have no clue what webOS is, this is when the Homebrew community can really shine. I think we need to have a telethon to support our guys!!!
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Samsung has a problem. There problem is that they currently are killing it with smart phones that run Google's Android operating system. Why is that a problem? Because LG, Motorola, HTC, Sony, and others are also doing well selling smart phones running Android. And what's the difference between a Samsung phone running stock Android and one made by HTC? I haven't a clue. Not much, actually. The only variation these companies make is by throwing a skin over the OS to make it look unique. HTC has Sense. Motorola uses Motoblur. And Samsung uses something that makes it look so much like an iPhone Apple is going all out in suing them for trade dress infringement. Android phones are becoming commodities and in the commodity business, the lowest price (and lowest margins) wins.
    Lately the mobile computing business is being dominated by large partnerships between softward and hardware makers. Microsoft and Nokia have teamed up, and last week Google and Motorola became an official item. HP and Jon Rubinstein have said for awhile now that they would be interested in a similar relationship if the partner were able to help develop the platform much in the way the Nokia/Microsoft relationship is structured. At the time rumors were flying about Samsung becoming a licensee, but nothing has been announced yet. Now with HP getting out of the hardware business, it's reasonable that such a relationship may soon come out.
    Afterall, HP has also said recently that they want to see webOS in appliances as well as printers. Well, the printers were one of the things not being spun off from HP (and which Samsung doesn't sell) and appliances are something that Samsung sells in great quantity.
    The marriage of HP and Samsung could work really well. Samsung can make some great hardware, as their Galaxy lineup shows, and HP can then focus on developing things on the software side.
    If this does come true, it could work out great. I'll grant you that the way this has all been handled is a clusterf**k, but if/once it gets going, I think some wonderful things could happen. Can you imagine how great it would be to have webOS on the Galaxy 10.1 hardware?

(and for my money, I think that if HP does spin off their PC business, they should name it Palm Computer)
    There is another thread on this. I hope that you are right.
    I wouldn't be surprised, if Samsung actually bought the PSG and/or licensed webOS, if their webOS tablets would be named Samsung TouchPads and Android tablets would continue to be named Samsung GalaxyTabs. TouchPad is getting some buzz - and all PRPRPR $is$ $good$ $PR$.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast