Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    hope there is some truth.

Twitter

and

Twitter

but if it is true, where are the firesale phones? though i doubt they made as many phones as the #touchpad.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    INTEResting... especially the second one... come on HTC!

Regarding the fire sale of phones, HP sold all of theirs last night before the touchpad sold out. The all went for $50 each. No word yet on what ATT/Verizon are planning to do with theirs.
    At least the first item came from the mouth of an ex-palm, now hp hardware engineer.

IAMA HP Web OS Employee AMAA : IAmA
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    At least the first item came from the mouth of an ex-palm, now hp hardware engineer.

IAMA HP Web OS Employee AMAA : IAmA

This guy is probably giving some of the most insiderous info available...he even talked about the supposed slab phone which was according to him real...

"
    [–]donrhummy 4 points 1 day ago
    Was one of the canceled phones the phone that was leaked?
    (This one: http://cdn.precentral.net/resources/...ebos-slate.png )
    [–]amaathrowawayLOSTPW 1 point 9 hours ago
    Yes it was. Code named Windsor Not. Though this looks like a prototype as the ID ended up being slightly different. This phone went all the way through DVT, but we missed a software deadline right at the end and carriers decided the hardware was too dated (which admittedly it was)"

pretty interesting if true...at least for me ...according to him there were MANY prototypes they had made for phones...but many didn't make the deadlines or carriers weren't interested.
    Well, ladies and gents, this is my take on it after some thinking.

Now, i was quite confused earlier this evening when I started to think about the firesale.

Ok, so HP wants to not develop hardware. Fine. I do get it. It isn't profitable, and in such economic uncertainty, why would you invest that much right now rather than licence it?

So HP all of a sudden drops a huge bomb on the industry, and leaves everything wondering a 3 letter word (in fact, i'm pretty sure anyone who saw the headline probably did think the same 3 things *W - T - F*

So 24 hours later, all the retailers including HP decide to blow out their 'discontinued hardware' - at first, i never put much thought into it.. but after taking some time, thinking why on earth HP would sell it at such a large loss, confused me. If HP had no plans, they would sell it at cost to recoup their losses. They would not blow it out, and lose this much money.

I strongly feel something is going on behind the scenes that we are just not aware of. No company would do this if there wasn't a different motive at the end of the table.
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    Well, ladies and gents, this is my take on it after some thinking.

Now, i was quite confused earlier this evening when I started to think about the firesale.

Ok, so HP wants to not develop hardware. Fine. I do get it. It isn't profitable, and in such economic uncertainty, why would you invest that much right now rather than licence it?

So HP all of a sudden drops a huge bomb on the industry, and leaves everything wondering a 3 letter word (in fact, i'm pretty sure anyone who saw the headline probably did think the same 3 things *W - T - F*

So 24 hours later, all the retailers including HP decide to blow out their 'discontinued hardware' - at first, i never put much thought into it.. but after taking some time, thinking why on earth HP would sell it at such a large loss, confused me. If HP had no plans, they would sell it at cost to recoup their losses. They would not blow it out, and lose this much money.

I strongly feel something is going on behind the scenes that we are just not aware of. No company would do this if there wasn't a different motive at the end of the table.
    Playing devil's advocate, but it is entirely possible that HP just wants to get rid of their stock and get out of the business before any more losses occurred. They just dropped 12 billion on another company, so the loss here is minimal in their mind. However, this is NOT what I want to believe though!!! C'mon Samsung....
    Last edited by joen05; 08/21/2011 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Made my post make more sense...
    any losses? think of the loss they are taking with just selling it at this price tag.

Take the staples sale for example. They sold it at basically cost. And it was a hit.

Any company who was in this situation would try to sell it at cost to at least try to diminish most losses they will encounter, and then adjust from there.
    Tikkanen likes this.
    any losses? think of the loss they are taking with just selling it at this price tag.

Take the staples sale for example. They sold it at basically cost. And it was a hit.

Any company who was in this situation would try to sell it at cost to at least try to diminish most losses they will encounter, and then adjust from there.
    Sorry, edited my post after I saw that. I realize they are already taking a loss selling Touchpads at this price.
    Quote Originally Posted by joen05 View Post
    Sorry, edited my post after I saw that. I realize they are already taking a loss selling Touchpads at this price.
    its pretty steep if you think about it.
    if it was a few thousand devices, whatever. But they had a lot of devices out there....

This loss, ontop of their stock loss yesterday... lot of money out HP's windows.
    we all have to also remember that the webOS department of HP isn't the only one that is getting cut. the whole PSG(Personal System's Group) the one that deals with ALL of HP's hardware including laptops is going to spin off of HP according to Apoth. I really think the webOS department was one of the casualties in Apoth wanting to make HP a software/enterprise company.

Yeah but they shot themself in teh face announcing tne entire line as discontinued emaning no1 would buy them, so thats zero sales at all, at least now their shiftign something, very little coming in is better than nothing at all then having to pay to dismantle or destroy them and looking even bigger fools than they are now.
  12.    #12  
    they either really just wan to get this behind them ot they really need to get these sold.

would sticking them in a warehouse and selling them $200-$300 slowly worse than selling them all over one weekend?

kendrick said hp put pressure on retailers to give the refund. remember bestbuy just wanted to ship them all back.

another speculative post by sfhandyman:

Twitter

i hope that there something happening here, cause i dont see the gbu (#webOS) will be around at christmas if they havent license it by then.

btw, handyman thinks there were only 500,000 touchpads made.

still want the phones to go on a firesale. prefer a pre3 (will move to att), but a pre2 to sprintify would be cool. heck would take a veer.
    Felipe
    Felipe i would love a pre 3 as well. though, i hope it's available to customers outside the USA as well, or i'll be angry lol.

Anyways, I asked this question in a different thread, but... the whole PSG is being discontinued essentially.. so why is everything else not on a firesale?
  14.    #14  
    Felipe i would love a pre 3 as well. though, i hope it's available to customers outside the USA as well, or i'll be angry lol.

Anyways, I asked this question in a different thread, but... the whole PSG is being discontinued essentially.. so why is everything else not on a firesale?
    hp (read leo a., the *****) wants out of the pc business, so they will likely spin it off if they cant sell it outright.

see: HP Communities - A Toast to Opportunity - HP Communities

its a very profitable business i really cant see them just shutting it down.
    Felipe

As far as HP has said, nothing has been decided on the future of the rest of the PSG group. There's no way that they'll simply discontinue all their current products as they have with with the WebOS hardware. More likely they'll spin it off as Compaq and simply change the branding.
    Interesting info, at the least. More info coming out over the next few days/weeks will be VERY interesting. Can't wait.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    its pretty steep if you think about it.
    if it was a few thousand devices, whatever. But they had a lot of devices out there....

This loss, ontop of their stock loss yesterday... lot of money out HP's windows.
    The amount of losses they are taking is really the most surprising part.

1. Taking a loss via the firesale
    2. Taking a loss via share value ($12 billion loss of value on Friday alone) (over half their value since Feb.)
    3. Taking a loss of integrity and trust with their existing partners (all those stores suddenly stuck with stock, dealing with angry customers, packed phone lines)
    4. Taking a loss of trust with their current and future customers.
    5. Taking a loss of trust with future licensees.

How many people will never buy an HP product again, or at least not for a very long time. How many will recommend against HP products and services in the workplace, how badly will this affect their Holiday season sales. How many lawsuits will spring up and what costs will be associated with that. How much cost in over-time, trips, interviews, commercials, press releases, promotional swag, reduced pricing, and contractual compromises will have to happen before they can regain trust in the HP brand and products.

Sad really. All they had to do was spin the press release a bit, reduce the prices A LITTLE, promote this new direction just a little... but instead. BILLIONS DOWN THE TOILET. A M A Z I N G!
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post

2. Taking a loss via share value ($12 billion loss of value on Friday alone) (over half their value since Feb.)
    The drop in share price was not due specifically to webOS device cancellation. It was due to the entire message: margin pressure, Palm investment has potential for $1.2B+ USD write-down, PSD spinoff/sale and $10B Autonomy acquisition (@10x revenue premium). In total, all the changes created investor uncertainty. With the global macro situation the way it is, investors want stable companies with large cash positions, good balance sheets and a consistent strategy.
    Dan Donovan
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dgdonovan View Post
    The drop in share price was not due specifically to webOS device cancellation. It was due to the entire message: margin pressure, Palm investment has potential for $1.2B+ USD write-down, PSD spinoff/sale and $10B Autonomy acquisition (@10x revenue premium). In total, all the changes created investor uncertainty. With the global macro situation the way it is, investors want stable companies with large cash positions, good balance sheets and a consistent strategy.
    Agreed. I didn't mean to imply that the losses were all webOS issues. I've said as much in other posts. These losses are wide spread lack of vision, leadership, and planning. They've been paying huge premiums lately for companies and then not showing any benefit from their acquisition. Autonomy is just the latest.
    very very interesting...HP no longer makes devices but HTC has a bunch that are looking for an OS???
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast