Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    I've been a Palm guy since my Treo 600. I'll put that out there, so know from the get go that I am biased. Since then, not once did I seriously consider a non-Palm platform for my phone. Sure, I had my "Palm better ____ or else I will ____" but when it came down to it, I always stuck it out and waited - usually with outdated hardware.

Anyhow, this whole firesale got me thinking. Every other post I read is "Can we flash this to run Android" (to which my webOS-centric mind asks "why would you want to ruin it?") have read a few comments (obviously not on precentral) praising the hardware and blaming the OS. Hell, the guy at Best Buy flat out told me "HP just put the wrong OS on it or something". Either I'm delusional about webOS superiority (and I don't think I am since I'm curious about all of the mobile platforms and play with them ever chance I get) or Android is doing a hell of a job convincing their users that Android is the cat's pajamas.....

So I ask you, most likely equally biased denizens: am I the crazy one???
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    By the way - I left to Best Buy (which is 15 minutes away) as soon as I saw the tweet that they WOULD sell at discounted price. They were sold out when I got there...phooey.
    I don't think you're crazy but I think perhaps webOS users have always thought the platform was a little better than it actually was.
    Quote Originally Posted by errsta View Post
    By the way - I left to Best Buy (which is 15 minutes away) as soon as I saw the tweet that they WOULD sell at discounted price. They were sold out when I got there...phooey.
    I just left my local BestBuy and they still have Touchpads but won't sell them until 10AM tomorrow morning. I will be there very early as someone else was asking about them at the same time I was.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I don't think you're crazy but I think perhaps webOS users have always thought the platform was a little better than it actually was.
    I think we more believe in the potential of webOs then what it really is and Palm and now HP have both failed at realizing that potential. We're somewhat delusional and right at the same time.
    Oh I got so aggravated when all my coworkers could talk about was putting android onto it.

-- Sent from my Palm TouchPad using Forums
    HP put webOS a year behind with their acquisition. They should have left it to Samsung or HTC and things could have been so different.

Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Putting android on the TouchPad would not have made it sell much better, the hardware just wasn't up to the competition (and this is from someone who likes his touchpad a lot).

And there were plenty of issues with webOS, app performance especially that was never really addressed. Enyo helped some, but I still see random slowdowns on my TouchPad where apps won't respond for a bit.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    jokkel likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    And that using Preware shouldn't be a barrier. The product really doesn't perform well out of the box, but with Preware and other futzing can be quite nice. Not to mention the person doing the futzing LIKES doing that.

But you can't expect a product that needs that to be successful among the masses to require that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    I think we more believe in the potential of webOs then what it really is and Palm and now HP have both failed at realizing that potential. We're somewhat delusional and right at the same time.
    I guess it depends on your needs. webOS always led the way in multitasking and things like Synergy and I can understand why someone would value those features, even if they turned out to be niche features in the end.

I just think it's bizarre when webOS users do things like dismiss other platforms' app stores as being full of fart apps or calling things clunky without having used them or saying things like native apps aren't important when you have Flash. It almost seems like a combination of rationalization and being unaware of just how good everything out there really is.

Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    And that using Preware shouldn't be a barrier. The product really doesn't perform well out of the box, but with Preware and other futzing can be quite nice. Not to mention the person doing the futzing LIKES doing that.

But you can't expect a product that needs that to be successful among the masses to require that.
    Yeah, that's a good point. I just picked up a TouchPad and was shocked at the difference in performance between a stock install of webOS 3.0.2 and a version with a couple of logging patches installed. I think I'm fairly tech savvy so it wasn't all that difficult to install but it just seems like such an unreasonable thing to have to do.
    jokkel and milominderbinde like this.
    As a newcomer to the scene, I do have to say.
    You guys are pretty crazy calling this a "good enough" product compared to iPad.
    Sure it has some features it excels at and has nice touches in the OS, but compared to the iPad, it's so sluggish and darn near unusable.
    I don't understand how HP managed to make it so slow on the decent (Supposedly superior) hardware.

I got it out of interest for webOS and the $99 price point, but I do consider you guys who paid $499 or even $399 for the thing as suckers. No offense, you guys are great, one of the best electronics community I ever met and insanely helpful, but the TouchPad wasn't a finished product and you guys jumped the gun.
    finngirl, sinsin07 and jokkel like this.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    Putting android on the TouchPad would not have made it sell much better, the hardware just wasn't up to the competition (and this is from someone who likes his touchpad a lot).

And there were plenty of issues with webOS, app performance especially that was never really addressed. Enyo helped some, but I still see random slowdowns on my TouchPad where apps won't respond for a bit.
    Agree 100%. Had it released shortly after being announced (when ipad was still 1st gen) it may have been a different story. Waiting that long between announcement and release is bad, bad mojo...Technology doesn't wait for anyone.
    I jumped the gun on the tablet in faith that my early adoption would help the success of the OS. But now HP has ticked me off. I am done with them. I wish the best for webOS and I will hold on to my Pre2 Unlocked and my TouchPad until webOS finally comes out on hardware that doesn't fall apart.

Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Porting android to the touchpad would be like... putting a pig on lipstick...
    Titan078 and Soorma like this.
    I'm one of the guys that lucked out and picked up a few 32G TouchPads this morning for $149.
    I figured even if it was orphaned, that wasn't a bad price for a Kindle / Web Surfer / Video Player.

First off let me say I feel for those of you that paid $399-$599 for your TPs. I know I'd be PO'd.

Why do we want an Andriod ROM? Plain and simple APPS.

I've never used WebOS before today, and from what I've seen it seems like a fine UI, but if nobody's writing for it, then it's not that great.

I used to be a BlackBerry guy, so I know a thing or two about a great UI that's all but useless. I have a revulsion to Apple, so when 'Droid came out I gave up the BB, and been a happy camper. Everyday I can't believe the things my phone does.
    Quote Originally Posted by dong1225 View Post
    As a newcomer to the scene, I do have to say.
    You guys are pretty crazy calling this a "good enough" product compared to iPad.
    Sure it has some features it excels at and has nice touches in the OS, but compared to the iPad, it's so sluggish and darn near unusable.
    I don't understand how HP managed to make it so slow on the decent (Supposedly superior) hardware.

I got it out of interest for webOS and the $99 price point, but I do consider you guys who paid $499 or even $399 for the thing as suckers. No offense, you guys are great, one of the best electronics community I ever met and insanely helpful, but the TouchPad wasn't a finished product and you guys jumped the gun.
    Yeah, this, basically.

It's just kind of sad because HP could have solicited the input of people smarter than their own webOS team and shipped the thing with some of the patches hosted on Preware. It would have resulted in a much better experience out of the box.

As it played out (especially with the hour I spent using 3.0 while downloading the 3.0.2 update), the TouchPad was a product you really really really had to go out of your way to like.
    milominderbinde likes this.
    The hardware is fine, this forum is full of ways to get the most out of the hardware, so what does that tell you?
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TouchDroid? View Post
    The hardware is fine, this forum is full of ways to get the most out of the hardware, so what does that tell you?
    Given the case cracking issues people are seeing, I would have to say no to that.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2TouchDroid? View Post
    Correction: the SPECS are fine, but the hardware is not. I am only waiting to see what happens with these hundreds of thousands of touchpads with cracking housings around the speakers start to self destruct.

etphoto likes this.
  20. AZ8
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post

^ This!!

I am that! I represent the "masses"

97% of us that buy gadgets DON'T want to do all that. We aren't tech savvy. We aren't technology nerds(no offense). We aren't interested in that. And most can't. I know I can't. Im just your average user. I buy something and I expect it work right out of the box.

Why should I buy a Big Mac at McDonalds and have to bring it home to place my own pattie on it?

You gotta understand the user base. Thats why iPad shows little grannies using the product. K.I.S.S. Period! And it will sell!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast