Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree62Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    I am starting to believe my wife on this one -- we ALL are the crazy ones for caring so much about this kind of stuff. She says "it's just a small pc that allows you to do stuff that used to require a PC, as long as it does what you want who cares whether it is Android, webOS, Windows phone whatever, or iPhone".

I gave her props for knowing all the different OSes (she forgot RIM, but doesn't everyone? ).
    I'm sure there are a lot of folks who get carried away supporting a particular brand. But.. COMPANIES SHOULD WANT YOU TO SUPPORT THEIR BRAND! I mean, isn't that Marketing 101? Make a good product, get people excited about it.

That Lay-O can walk away from that enthusiasm shows that we're dealing with a new paradigm. Raping companies for their IP was not how Apple made its amazing come back. But folks up in the Hamptons who don't know the difference between an iPhone and a vacuum cleaner get to make these decisions now.

Anyway, good luck with your petition.
    Last edited by blinktreo; 08/26/2011 at 08:22 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blinktreo View Post
    There was an effort to re-engineer BeOS without going afoul of copyright, patents or licensing. It died on the vine.
    Haiku OS, the open source BeOS clone, still exists and has an active community. It's useable, but still is only in alpha stage. Few Haiku users actually use it as their day to day operating system. As soon as WPA encryption is ready, I'll install it on my Netbook as the fourth OS (Ubuntu, Win XP, and hacked Mac OS X 10.5) on it.

What I am doing every day is reading news feeds in my google reader app and opening some of the news entries in the browser for full reading. () But it gets VERY painful, if you don't have multitasking(browser will kill news reader, take ages to load page, is hogging the whole device for waiting on signal, if you finished you need to fire up the reader again, who might update everything, which again blocks the whole device waiting for some data to arrive)
    You definitely should use a recent version of iOS or Android and you'll se that nothing of that is true.
    I use newsRob on Android. It regularly synchronizes my about 200 feeds with Google Reader while it's on a WiFi network and downloads all articles and images. It even has an included browser for opening linked pages.
    Launching the system web browser is really fast too.

Of course the cards for switching between apps is a lot more elegant than double or long pressing the home button. But it does the exact same thing.
    The exception of course being that Android and iOS take care of quitting least used apps, when it runs out of memory. On WebOS you are stuck with a TMC error and an unresponsive user interface.
    Quote Originally Posted by jokkel View Post
    Haiku OS, the open source BeOS clone, still exists and has an active community. It's useable, but still is only in alpha stage. Few Haiku users actually use it as their day to day operating system. As soon as WPA encryption is ready, I'll install it on my Netbook as the fourth OS (Ubuntu, Win XP, and hacked Mac OS X 10.5) on it.

You definitely should use a recent version of iOS or Android and you'll se that nothing of that is true.
    I use newsRob on Android. It regularly synchronizes my about 200 feeds with Google Reader while it's on a WiFi network and downloads all articles and images. It even has an included browser for opening linked pages.
    Launching the system web browser is really fast too.

Of course the cards for switching between apps is a lot more elegant than double or long pressing the home button. But it does the exact same thing.
    The exception of course being that Android and iOS take care of quitting least used apps, when it runs out of memory. On WebOS you are stuck with a TMC error and an unresponsive user interface.
    I prefer the TMC error than closing apps I was using or erasing a long email I was about to send
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jokkel View Post
    That's the level of achievement for a dead 10 year old project.

BeOS wasn't really that good to begin with --- the only claim to fame was that it beat the h.e.l.l out of Windows 95, which was not that difficult to do.

By the way, for those who remember --- this is the second time beos/palm fans crossed swords with qnx. Sony announced the BeIA-based eVilla internet appliance --- took them 18 months to develop. AFTER Sony's eVilla announcement, 3Com began to look into the internet appliance market. 3Com hired a third party QNX consulting firm (who mostly did medical devices on QNX), took them 6 months to develop Audrey. Audrey used a slower CPU than the eVilla --- because QNX was and is faster. 3Com discontinued the Audrey after 7.5 months on the market.

AFTER 3Com discontinued the Audrey, Sony finally came out their eVilla --- which took 3 times more development time, and had to use a more expensive CPU because it was slower.

Pretty amazing that the entire life cycle for the Audrey --- from the conceptual stage, to product development, to actual product launch, to product discontinuance --- sit within the long long long 18 months that Sony developed the eVilla.
    Last edited by samab; 08/27/2011 at 11:54 AM.
    Someone else posted a similar "are you guys all delusional?" thread just now asking how folks can be encouraged with HP walking away. It's a decent question...so I typed a response...and the thread was deleted before I could post it...so I'll drop that response here for your consideration.

-----------------------------------------

Yes, HP has apparently walked away from WebOS and canceled development of all related hardware products. That is bad news. $99 TouchPads and $49 Pre 2s are amongst the best deals that most of us have seen in the last decade (and related SlickDeals threads with 40 million views confirm that statement), but of course, the deal is bittersweet.

That said, there is a reason to be happy.

WebOS was ALREADY dying...and very near death. To confirm that fact, one only needed to look at:

• recent pre-announcement press (mostly absent...and what there was, was dismissive and/or pessimistic),
    • hardware sales (VERY poor numbers for TouchPads and WebOS phones...with stories in the press of BestBuy demanding HP take back a quarter of a million TouchPads)
    • applications in development (or the lack thereof...including companies who abandoned projects midstream)
    • phone carrier hardware/commitments (or, again, lack thereof...including Sprint and Orange walking away)
    • web site user agent data (WebOS isn't even a blip in those logs)
    • mindshare (i.e., polling for future hardware purchases/desires)
    • the massive number of launch day Pre owners in the Android Central forums talking about their new or planned Android devices

The OS was in bed, on oxygen, and wheezing...with a priest standing in the doorway. The Betamax of mobile OS-es was dead and didn't know it yet. The situation was ALREADY desperate and sad. We had the best mobile OS...and no one cared.

I for one have used a Palm device daily for a dozen years. I am an original Treo user...back when the current legions of iPhone owners didn't know what a smartphone was. I also live in a house with three dedicated Pre users...but even so, we were all in the process of walking away before HP's announcement. Hey, I may still do so, but I'll admit, what HP has done has changed the landscape.

Why? Because up until they dropped the TouchPad price, I thought that there was nothing that they or anyone else could do to save the platform. Their price drop changed everything.

Suddenly we had somewhere between 500,000 and one million new WebOS users. Not surprisingly, many like the platform. Word of mouth exploded. Yes, mostly for the deal, but they were also talking about WebOS. The press also suddenly took notice again. When the cancellation occurred, I saw stories with headlines like "The Best Phone That You Will Never Use" and stories that stated that the TouchPad was the second best tablet available, eclipsed only by the iPad...and only because of their apps. Then the price drop hit and press coverage exploded.

Will WebOS die now? Perhaps...but it was already dying. Many of us had just not admitted that fact yet. This last hurrah may just be a way to go out with a bang instead of a whimper, but it may also garner enough attention to turn things around somehow...perhaps with HP or another vendor...or perhaps by some arrangement that open sources portions of Luna or UI concepts/patents for integration into Android.

One cannot ignore one million new users...which just rocketed WebOS up the installed base charts for tablets. People are noticing. Doubt it? Splashtop just reversed their decision to create a WebOS client...and QuickOffice HD was finally released.

Is it a bittersweet moment? Yes, definitely. Is it a moment with uncertainty and doubt for the future? Certainly...but prior to these latest developments, WebOS was a dead man walking...so stating that the situation just got desperate is not accurate. It has been desperate for some time. While the light of hope at the end of the tunnel may only now be a glimmer, at least it is there. That tunnel was dark three weeks ago.

$0.02

cheers,
    Scuba
    Last edited by scuba_steve; 09/02/2011 at 02:57 PM.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    br0kenneckbrace likes this.
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Great post, Scuba. The unthinkable happened and my love for all things Palm has been eclipsed by my disdain for HP. I am (and will continue to) enjoying this touchpad, but my Pre and Veer will be retired very, very soon.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345