Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I'm a glass half full kind of guy....so let me run this past all of you.....

Apparently the TouchPads are selling like hot cakes at $99. There must be several million of them around the world...webOS as ALWAYS GOTTEN HIGH MARKS, IT'S THE HARDWARE THAT'S PROBLEMATIC, (especially since webOS 3.1 last update came out), ...will high demand for these make another firm such as HTC or Samsung or some other firm interested in picking up webOS as a OS or buying webOS for their OS?

Let me know what all of you think!

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Gunnole likes this.
    I'm an optimist.... I'm pullin for Sammy. They certainly know how to build a tablet. WebOS is just too good to kill off!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by erasef301 View Post
    I'm an optimist.... I'm pullin for Sammy. They certainly know how to build a tablet. WebOS is just too good to kill off!

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Hi all,

I'm with you!

My closest friend who isn't a webOS user, (Iphone & Ipad), just ordered a TouchPad and can't wait to get it....his step son wants one and I would think there will be many of them sold to first timers using webOS...all of these TouchPads being sold will not just educate people of the pluses of webOS, they will cause demand for more apps....in an odd way this may actually work out better for all of us that love webOS....that's if HP can get a hardware firm to pick up the OS...

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Yeah, perhaps they'll be encouraged that if they can build a $99 tablet they can sell the hell out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

I'm with you!

My closest friend who isn't a webOS user, (Iphone & Ipad), just ordered a TouchPad and can't wait to get it....his step son wants one and I would think there will be many of them sold to first timers using webOS...all of these TouchPads being sold will not just educate people of the pluses of webOS, they will cause demand for more apps....in an odd way this may actually work out better for all of us that love webOS....that's if HP can get a hardware firm to pick up the OS...

Take care,

Jay
    To keep the all new webOS users in wonderful spirits, I am trying to answers as many questions as possible. Sometimes I forget that people coming from other OS's don't even know what Synergy is or the simple swipe up.

I truly believe it's our duty to inform as many new users as possible or the great features the Touchpad has to offer and help guide them through the learning curve. This just makes for a stronger community.

Lets all do our part!
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by gerrymad View Post
    Yeah, perhaps they'll be encouraged that if they can build a $99 tablet they can sell the hell out of it.
    Hi, I think your missing my point...from the beginning webOS has always gotten GREAT reviews...the problems all are on the doorstep of Ruby...who pick crappy companies to make the Pre, Pre +, Pixi and now the Pre2, Pre3, Veer and TouchPad......

HP should have had it's collective heads examined for allowing Ruby to have anything to do with it...this time he was a fool for not delaying the release of the TouchPad until webOS 3.1.1 was ready...or they made the TouchPads, held on to them until webOS 3.1.1 was ready and they could have sent it as an automatic upgrade the minute the TouchPad is turned on.

However that's water under the bridge....however no matter how much or how little someone pays for the TouchPad...there are going to be millions of more people exposed to webOS then ever before.....after all not just are the TouchPads going to be dumped at bargain prices, what is going to happen to the Pre2, Veer & Pre3 that are sitting on shelves in some warehouse...they also will be sold off cheaply....

There is a chance that this could work out well...that's if some firm decides to work with HP and webOS...we have no idea how far along talks have gone for licensing webOS as well as how far webOS has been adapted to work on other handsets....

These are issues "way above my pay grade".....it's possible with minor tweaking that webOS can work on existing or soon to be rolled out hardware from another firm....

We also don't know what HP plans are to dovetail webOS into other products, such as printers and they have also contacted home appliance makers to incorporate some form of webOS into their products. Also didn't Mr. Hurd, the former CEO say something to the effect of not spending $1.2 Billion to make smartphones and tablets??

There must be a great going on we don't know about.....

Be that as it may and no matter how these "new people" have come to webOS in product that HP has dumped...it still results in far more people being exposed to webOS for the first time....

take care,

Jay
    cobrakon likes this.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    so, Samsung and HTC both have big announcements planned on September 1. Who knows, its one heck of a long shot, but it falls in the next 3-4 weeks range for knowing what's going on with webOS.
    ilovedessert likes this.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by iamjonvon View Post
    so, Samsung and HTC both have big announcements planned on September 1. Who knows, its one heck of a long shot, but it falls in the next 3-4 weeks range for knowing what's going on with webOS.
    Hi all,

I didn't know that thank you....it will take me close to that to decide on a new phone anyway...if they announce their going with webOS then I'll go with them.

take care,

jay
  9.    #9  
    Hi all,

I was just giving this some thought, perhaps the crummy reviews and sales may not have been the only reason why HP jettisoned hardware for webOS....

perhaps they have found someone to license webOS to.....makes me wonder if they already cut a deal??????????

Take care,

Jay
    Samsung has a 30 second teaser for the event. It's on YouTube. At the end it says "Download Unpacked App from Samsung Apps and Android Market" The article is @ Phone dog. been there a while so you have to look for it.
    Last edited by BrewCity; 08/21/2011 at 12:49 AM. Reason: Where I found the Article
    It's not the life you lead but
    the style in which you live it.
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    So you think HP is giving up? WebOS is dead? Those are emotional reactions, not logical analysis!

One must look at the whole picture, step back, look around and THINK!

I suppose I am a tech junky...I like to follow all things techno and I am rather surprised at all of the hoopla with the latest HP announcement. I on the other hand am so impressed with HP, if I had the money I would go and buy HP stock! No, I don't work for HP nor am I affiliated with HP, I am in the Automotive industry.

I want you all to think about what I am about to say..

First, I just want to say that Palm was not late getting into the "smart phone" arena, does the word Treo mean anything? PalmOs had "apps" long before Apple did, Palm got lazy!

So, they came up with WebOS, the best OS ever create! But Apple had a good jump on fostering an energetic eco system, and Android had just had a coming out party.

But, Palm's financial troubles really hindered WebOS from taking off, due to the lack of continuous product releases. Palm sells to HP and because of all that goes into buying a one brand and migrating their products, one year later we have new products, tablets, phones etc.

Now, during that last year Apple continues to grow at amazing rates, Android rockets to the moon on growth, RIM takes a couple of steps back, Nokia makes a deal with the devil, patent lawsuits have officially reached super stupid levels and the clincher? GOOGLE BUYS MOTOROLA!

Now, how do you think HTC, LG, Samsung and other Android device manufactures feel about Google (the owner of Android) all of the sudden decides to now be one of your competitors and they have full control of the OS? Let me put it another way, what do you think would happen if Microsoft decided to make their own computers?

One week Google buys Motorola, one week later HP makes the shocking announcement that they are getting out of the "device" business but will continue to promote and develop WebOS...now, why would you do that if you are getting out of the "device" business?

Simple! Android device manufactures just got hit in the gut with the Google/Motorola deal on top of the onslaught of patent lawsuits. But what are they to do, where can they find a good OS for their phones? HP, quietly raises their hands and says...boys and girls, have I got a deal for you!

HP knows that in order to get WebOS into the arena of iOS and Android, you need devices galore flooding the market, just like Android did. But you can't ask another company to sell your product and at the same time be their major competitor and that is why HP left the "device" business in a hurry. The other companies (whom ever they are) don't what HP selling WebOS devices and in order to move this forward quickly, HP is finally moving fast to respond to the situation.

Folks, what you having been crying about is the single biggest blessing WebOS ever got, licensing!

Now, if I could only find a $99.00 Touchpad!!!!

Joao
    cobrakon likes this.
    Hi, I think your missing my point...from the beginning webOS has always gotten GREAT reviews...the problems all are on the doorstep of Ruby...who pick crappy companies to make the Pre, Pre +, Pixi and now the Pre2, Pre3, Veer and TouchPad......
    I understood your point. My response was very much a tongue in check quip, but that doesn't always come across in writing. That said, you can't judge much from the current sales flurry. You have a 16MB 10 inch tablet with a 1.2 GHz selling for $99. Unless the tablet was horrible it will sell at that rpice.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BrewCity View Post
    At the end it says "Download Unpacked App from Samsung Apps and Android Market" The article is @ Phone dog. been there a while so you have to look for it.
    I saw the thing about being in the Android marketplace, but what can I say, I'm on an optimistic conspiracy theory roll. Another exciting tidbit is that both HTC and Samsung have currently released devices using Qualcom Snapdragon processors. There was some debate as to the code for webOS needing to be rewritten for new hardware because it was written specifically for Qualcom chips. Maybe it could be transitioned faster than previously thought.
    Here's a link for support...
    Mobile Processors | Snapdragon | Qualcomm

Anyways, I know this is one heck of a long shot, but I don't want to see webOS fail like this. again. Hopefully we have good news come Sept 1.
    Announcements are planned months in advance. It would be an extreme long shot for webOS to be part of these. Probably Ice Cream Sandwich, Tegra3-based devices or both.
    Dan Donovan
    I saw the thing about being in the Android marketplace, but what can I say, I'm on an optimistic conspiracy theory roll. Another exciting tidbit is that both HTC and Samsung have currently released devices using Qualcom Snapdragon processors. There was some debate as to the code for webOS needing to be rewritten for new hardware because it was written specifically for Qualcom chips. Maybe it could be transitioned faster than previously thought.
    Here's a link for support...
    Mobile Processors | Snapdragon | Qualcomm

Anyways, I know this is one heck of a long shot, but I don't want to see webOS fail like this. again. Hopefully we have good news come Sept 1.
    Friends don't let friends have hope.
    I'm hoping too
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Haha, yeah I know... I don't give up... ever... I watched Galaxy Quest too many times.
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    This fire sale may be the best thing to ever happen to WebOS. All of a sudden, WebOS has tons of hype and a much larger userbase.

It should look attractive right now for potential licensees.
    i accepted that webos was killed by ruby naivity,he thought that a big cheap computer maker is gonna make big by just advertising nothing else was done anyway if anyone gonna buy is gonna be to shield themself by palm patents
    Hi all,

I was just giving this some thought, perhaps the crummy reviews and sales maiy not have been the only reason why HP jettisoned hardware for webOS....

perhaps they have found someone to license webOS to.....makes me wonder if they already cut a deal??????????

Take care,

Jay
    That would be a hell of a way to hand the business over - by sticking a knife in it's heart!

If they did have someone lined up, you can bet your **** that they have backed out by now!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast