View Poll Results: Will webOS be on an Amazon Tablet?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - I want to believe!

11 61.11%
  • No - Ain't no way!

7 38.89%
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By mwshook
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    I was listening to an an older 'This is my next pocast #015' and Josh starts to speak about Amazon and webOS @ 28:00...

Since HP is just dumping hardware, and Josh has some good insider information, this is totally plausible to me...

What do you think?
    DataJog - Ingeniously Moving Data From Your Desktop to ANY webOS or Android Device

123 Trace - ** NEW APP ** Teaches kids the 123's
    ABC Trace - Teaches kids the ABC's
    WebOS is just too much of a nice and ready-to-go package (if HP now for once makes the right moves) that I am certain they won't have troubles to find someone who wants to do something with it.

Whoever it will be - I'm hoping they get going soon. WebOS needs to be out on current devices for the ecosystem not too fold completely. A break of 12 months plus is less than optimal.
    This occurred to me today, and I think they could be the perfect suitor for WebOS. They have already snuck into the tablet market sideways. But because they haven't taken the iPad head-on, it hasn't gotten much hype.

Amazon has already shown some displeasure with Apple's royalty practices. Amazon had to drop support for buying books directly from the iOS Kindle app. I have heard Amazon may drop the iPad app altogether, and just have iOS use the browser. Amazon has their own app store on Android that competes with Google's. Yet Amazon was one of the very few companies to embrace WebOS with an app for the Touchpad launch.

Making WebOS the platform for future Kindles could make a lot of sense. The fire sale has proven people want cheap tablets. The market is ripe for a product using the "give away the razors, make a profit on the blades" model. HP couldn't do this, they had no blades (apps & content) to sell. But people go to Amazon wanting to buy content. A Kindle could become a platform for selling books, music, and videos and more.

WebOS would be perfect for this. It comes with an excellent Flash-capable browser, much better than the Kindle's current one. Kindles have hardware keyboards, which would make good use of "Just Type." WebOS would also give them some apps. WebOS doesn't have a ton, but a Kindle doesn't need an app for every single thing under the sun. Basics like e-mail, weather, Facebook, Twitter are ready to go. Leave home security and remote-control helicopters to the iPad.

BUT, if Amazon sees the light and decides to take this on, I wouldn't expect it to be roses and sunshine for the WebOS ecosystem. Some bloggers have said WebOS is tainted, it's a loser, and associated with failed crap. I think that's unfair, but I can see how people would think that. Nobody cares what OS runs the Kindle now, and Amazon may want to keep it that way. It may just end up with a little "Powered by WebOS" logo on the box. They may even change the name. Amazon may not care about non-commercial apps, or they may not care to facilitate homebrew.

But at least WebOS would live on to fight another day...

So Jeff Bezos reads this forum, right?
    Palm Pilot Pro > Handspring Visorphone > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > Pre Plus > Droid Pro & Touchpad
    DataJog likes this.
    Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    And now this...

Josh's editorial on Washington Post

So let's get voting!!!
    DataJog - Ingeniously Moving Data From Your Desktop to ANY webOS or Android Device

123 Trace - ** NEW APP ** Teaches kids the 123's
    ABC Trace - Teaches kids the ABC's
  5. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,430 Global Posts
    Yeah, they set up an Android store to sell WebOS devices.

It's simply too late, we know they already have their android tablet (Kindle Scribe) in the works.