Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    I just got my dev email!

"Dear webOS developer:

We have opened the next chapter for webOS, and we understand that you must have many questions. Yesterday we announced that we will focus on the future of webOS as a software platform but we will no longer be producing webOS devices. While this was a difficult decision, it's one that will strengthen our ability to focus on further innovating with webOS as we forge our path forward. Throughout this journey, our developers will continue to be a vital part of the future of webOS.

We will continue to support, innovate and develop the webOS App Catalog. Our intent is to enhance our merchandising and presentation of your great products and to continue to build our webOS app ecosystem.

As many of you are aware, we are currently scheduled to hold many developer events around the world. We are planning to continue with these events, however, due to the recent announcements; the nature of them will change. These updates will be posted on our events registration site this coming week. We are eager to present to you the updated strategy for webOS and to hear your feedback.

Lastly, I wish to express our sincere appreciation for your ongoing support for webOS and the many teams responsible for it here at HP. This is a particularly dynamic time in the mobile industry and sometimes tough decisions need to be made about not only what to do, but also what not to do. This has been one of those times. Together with our great webOS developer community, we are confident that we will meet the challenges ahead and build momentum for optimal success.

We will be communicating with you frequently over the next few weeks and we look forward to hearing from you throughout this process.

Thanks for your support

Richard Kerris
    VP webOS Developer Relations "

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Global Posts
    621 Global Posts
    Soooo no devices but webOS as an OS will still be around....

Talk about porting

NOT "HP webOS"!!!
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    i got same email ...
    but the true is HP to support, innovate and develop the webOS App Catalog only >> that means no firmware updates for HP devices (TP,Veer,Pre2,Pre3) .. am i right?
    So they are going to develop a software platform but provide no hardware for it to run on.
    too bad there will be no hardware for a while. Unless you go pickup a touchpad for $99
    i assume the latter, i would assume still support for all devices still, though I assume maybe only the Veer, and the TP. THis is the same thing the VP said in the interview (the one people still didnt understand what he was saying smh). This is what I believe is going on, though HP internally has always been all over the place (remember the statement "we didnt buy webos for smartphones"). So take it how you want, me Ill take it as HP still wanting to use Webos as a investment to make money for the future of their business. Lets face it, HP has a cashcow they just need to find out how to get the milk out of it, and since Palm introduced the Pre years ago, it has mostly come down to one thing HARDWARE.
    This could all turn out just fine in the long run. If HP keeps WebOS development and support going and is able to partner with Samsung or whoever for hardware, we'd end up with a 100% better overall product.
    Herk_FE likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    This could all turn out just fine in the long run. If HP keeps WebOS development and support going and is able to partner with Samsung or whoever for hardware, we'd end up with a 100% better overall product.
    Well considering the fact that their installed base probably got a significant boost today...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    I would love some of whatever you are smoking.
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    We just have to wait and see. I didn't say it will turn out well. But the possibility exists.
    LOL.. But I hope YankBoy's wish comes true tho'. But realistically, if samsung or htc signs up with hp now, i will have to wonder what they are smoking...
    on the other hand, since i want the platform to grow, i might just encourage them to consume more of that.
    They have not said that WebOS will continue to be a smartphone or tablet operating system. If a hardware outfit doesn't pick it up, they will let die the smartphone and tablet functionality and just convert it to a mini operating system for their other hardware.
    its all corporate speak to me. No devices, No devs, period.
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    If HP is trying to market WebOS like Google/android good luck. Why would a hardware manufacturer throw money into a OS that is

1. slow (no matter what hardware you throw at it)
    2. No significant developer following.
    3. Multi tasking advantage has closed with release of WP7 Mango.

This chapter will be the last. RIP
    So they are going to develop a software platform but provide no hardware for it to run on.
    That's just why Android was such an industry-teaching failure, and why Windows never managed to compete against Macintosh: you need to make hardware if you're making software.

Oh wait...
    Syndil likes this.
    Sounds like the past 2 years at Sprint.
  17. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,427 Global Posts
    Yeah because Microsoft and Android made sure they absolutely destroyed all of the brand equity in a crazy firesale losing hundreds of dollars on each unit after saying "we the largest technology company in the world can't make money on this product and to continue would be to throw money down a pit".

I bet companies are fighting over this "treasure".

As for Richard Kerris, he's completely out of the loop and found out with the public that they were pulling the plug on the hardware, he's likely be sending out messages about success as the guys from security are clearing out his office. This is simply spin to try and keep the internal developers around while they desperate try and work out what to do (because a lot of the value in an OS is in the development team and ensuring that staff are around to maintain it).

I know people want to be optimistic but we are getting into straight up fantasy at this point - someone might pay WebOS for the patents but otherwise it's dead (as a commercial platform). Seriously, I'll look for a touchpad myself at a knockdown price but you have to see it for what it is.
    Last edited by CGK; 08/20/2011 at 03:52 PM.
    Translated, that email says:

Hang in there, and trust us. Look at all the reasons we've given you to trust us in the past!
    Its as simple as this, They inted on spinning of the Personal Systems group, the consumer side of HP, which Webos global business unit is under. If HP wants to keep Webos global business unit, they will put it on the enterprise side of the house. Since HP wants to focus on business and enterprise solutions, the development of Webos will probably be for enterprise stuff.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Really, as much as it hurts me to say it given how much as I love webOS. At this point, all the faithful webOS users should approach anything HP says according to the axiom "fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me."

The fact of the matter is every last one of us got thrown under the bus. The new phones and TP's should go on for awhile, but who wants to develop comercially for something that is dead, absolutely dead, for the next year, minimum. And no known prospect that there will be anything then. At least over the last year we had HP's now worthless word that there would be things coming. Do they deserve a second chance?

And does anyone believe they will have any news "in the coming weeks?"

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast