Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By phillipah
  • 1 Post By NVpreguy
  • 1 Post By Gaurav
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    this is what I just got from hp...

Dear webOS developer:

We have opened the next chapter for webOS, and we understand that you must have many questions. Yesterday we announced that we will focus on the future of webOS as a software platform but we will no longer be producing webOS devices. While this was a difficult decision, it's one that will strengthen our ability to focus on further innovating with webOS as we forge our path forward. Throughout this journey, our developers will continue to be a vital part of the future of webOS.

We will continue to support, innovate and develop the webOS App Catalog. Our intent is to enhance our merchandising and presentation of your great products and to continue to build our webOS app ecosystem.

As many of you are aware, we are currently scheduled to hold many developer events around the world. We are planning to continue with these events, however, due to the recent announcements; the nature of them will change. These updates will be posted on our events registration site this coming week. We are eager to present to you the updated strategy for webOS and to hear your feedback.

Lastly, I wish to express our sincere appreciation for your ongoing support for webOS and the many teams responsible for it here at HP. This is a particularly dynamic time in the mobile industry and sometimes tough decisions need to be made about not only what to do, but also what not to do. This has been one of those times. Together with our great webOS developer community, we are confident that we will meet the challenges ahead and build momentum for optimal success.

We will be communicating with you frequently over the next few weeks and we look forward to hearing from you throughout this process.

Thanks for your support

Richard Kerris
    VP webOS Developer Relations
    Cantaffordit and sorli like this.
    A software platform with no hardware for it to run on. Brilliant plan HP.
    Makes you wonder if Apothikar, Imohtep, or whatever his name is got the whole crew smoking some crazy ganja, LSD or something...
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    A software platform with no hardware for it to run on. Brilliant plan HP.
    He wanted to hear input from developers. Hopefully that is what they are telling him.

ET
    Global Posts
    2,161 Global Posts
    ok, so webOS will still be around, do devs need a device? Is the development of an app, contingent upon the type of device, i.e phone or Touchpad, or are the apps developed based on webOS?
    So there is this bridge in China I would like to sell....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    milominderbinde likes this.
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    I feel bad for Kerris. He was totally out of the loop, found out from a press release, and now has to talk about it being "a difficult decision", etc. And asking developers to keep "momentum" for an OS with no hardware is pretty balsy.

No doubt he is just doing what he is told and hoping his job isn't one of the thousands that is cut.
    Quote Originally Posted by wbdillworth View Post
    ok, so webOS will still be around, do devs need a device? Is the development of an app, contingent upon the type of device, i.e phone or Touchpad, or are the apps developed based on webOS?
    WebOS may still be around, WebOS developers not so much.
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    Hopefully it will get enough buzz from the $99 event that a hardware manufacturer will pick up on WebOs, and make more devices.

Otherwise, webOs will end up like PalmOs!
    Wasn't this Palm's original strategy when they sold off Palm OS?
    It's not like the thousands upon thousands of Touchpads sold this weekend are gonna magically disappear.
    I believe only the dev's can save WebOS. HP just handed the dev's a community, albeit a small one still one just large enough to develop interest with. If hardware companies see that the WebOS community is alive and people want WebOS devices some manufacture is going to adopt WebOS on there platform.

HP handed the WebOS risk off to the Devs and the community. Its up to the Devs to keep WebOS fresh. Hopefully HP will update the software while making improvement and add features.

We will see in the coming weeks what HP plans on doing and of course if any dev want to take a risk on WebOS. No risk no reward!