Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Quite interesting to see that Microsoft is desperate enough to try and get webOS developers (of which I understand there are zero, or perhaps half a one because webOS "HAS NO APPSSS!!!!!!!!!!") over to their side - really shows you how many THEY have.
    They are at 30,000 apps for Windows Phone 7 already. The webOS catalog only has 5,700 published apps even though it had an 18 month head start. I don't think Microsoft has had any problem with developers, they just know that Android and iOS have a big headstart and they have worked much harder in an effort to catch up.

Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    It is compared to WebOS, not so much compared to ANdroid and iOS.
    Windows Phone 7 Marketplace has been growing at the same rate as iOS did and twice the pace of Android.

It only takes one really great idea for an exclusive app to grab attention for WP7 and that app could come from anyone. It is very smart of them to court webOS developers.
    Last edited by cool8man; 08/21/2011 at 09:35 PM.
    very excited about this, especially since I can't afford a device to develop on. I suppose that's what I get for sticking my eggs all in one basket, :-P
    Quote Originally Posted by cool8man View Post
    Windows Phone 7 Marketplace has been growing at the same rate as iOS did and twice the pace of Android.

It only takes one really great idea for an exclusive app to grab attention for WP7 and that app could come from anyone. It is very smart of them to court webOS developers.
    If anyone has a really original idea for an app, they are going to write the app for Android or iOS.
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADGrant View Post
    If anyone has a really original idea for an app, they are going to write the app for Android or iOS.
    Maybe maybe not. Don't forget that Microsoft is giving developers free phones and in some cases money to bring apps out on WP7.

MS is as serious as a heart attack about winning the app wars.

This Washington Post article I just read says they expect Windows Phone apps will be compatible with Windows 8. If that happens it's sure to change a lot of developers plans.

Why does Jupiter matter so much? If it’s not clear from the technical details above, it’s because Jupiter may end up being the “one framework” to rule them all. That means it might be possible to port the thousands of Windows Phone apps already written with Silverlight to Windows 8 simply by reusing existing code and making small tweaks. Or maybe even no tweaks. (That part is still unclear). If so, this would be a technical advantage for developers building for Windows Phone 8 (code-named “Apollo” by the way, the son of “Jupiter”) or Windows 8.
    If you can make a single app and it runs on Xbox, Windows, and Windows Phone with little modification I think that is compelling to a lot of developers. That's a much bigger audience than either Android or iOS can offer.
    Last edited by cool8man; 08/21/2011 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Added WashPo quote
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Windows Phone 7 marketplace is 9 months old and are moving as fast as when Apples App Store was at 9 mo. They are also over 29,000 apps strong with having more "real" apps than Blackberry(not including ebooks and themes) which only has 10-15 k of real apps out of the 37000 apps BB has.

Microsoft knows how to get developers and has a very strong dev base. That's why WP7 has over 40 thousand devs registered and growing at 2000 devs per week.
    Not a developer, but do spend my money buying apps. So, webOS will most likely have more than 500,000 touchpad users within 3 weeks, using the device for at least the next 2yrs whom will most likely be looking for many apps and developer are debating leaving??

Well, in my opinion the developer of glimpse has the right attitude and idea buy focusing on the NUMBER of new TP owners and making that money, while leaving all the crazy speculation of why HP did X and if HTC, Sammy, etc will do Y to the birds.

Of course it hard to take anything HP says at face value (we will continue to focus on webOS), but if I knew anything about making apps I would continue to do my thing on webOS with ALL the new devices entering the wild.

This doesn't mean I wouldn't look at other platforms, but I thought the biggest factor was getting more users on webOS, well game on.
    Last edited by RoverNole; 08/21/2011 at 10:42 PM.
    Also good to see one of my favorite apps (sports live) go live (HD) on the TP, can't wait to purchase.

Another example of a guy who really stand to make even more mula with ALL the new devices entering the wild.

Thanks developers for your hard work, stay put and make that money on webOS!
    Microsoft is now offering free training, seminars and free phones to all WebOS developers wanting off the Touchpad Titanic before it's too late. This is great news for the app developers really.
    <<Thread Moved - nothing to do with the TouchPad>>
    tooearly and champiful like this.
    Global Posts
    401 Global Posts
    I read this thread's title as " "

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Don't switch from a proprietary OS with a not so big installed base (WebOS) to other that is also proprietary and had an even lower installed base (Windows Phone).

It will be better to fight for Web OS. Here it is my posts on other forum thread.

---------
    Sorry to get my nose inside your community.

Your idea to fight is good !! every WebOS user should fight right now. But I think the community need to focus on something else.

The first (and last) question the community need to solve is:
    ┐How people are going to get interest in WebOS if the main developer of the OS (HP) will discontinue and eventually will turn into abandomware?

No matter how much effort you put on supporting WebOS, making tutorials, posting screenshots and making evangelism, people will always touch this question.

A way to reduce the risk of any OS becoming abandomware is to turn it open source under any OSI approved license (opensource_org). With that you will be always independent of the main developer, and virtually anyone can jump to develop and improve WebOS.

So my suggestions for your community.

1) Make a petition to HP to open source WebOS under a approved OSI open source license. Make some pressure, post the petition on the press, slashdot, etc. Once the petition is signed send an open letter to the HP CEO with all the signatures, and make it public when you send the request and what you get as a reply.
    Also, in your petition ask to open source as much as HP can, possible there is some third party source code that can not be open by them.

(Warning: WebOS is not open source, don't get confused that there are some compoments that are already open (opensource_palm_com))

2) Get the WebOS developer community to start right now a WebOS open source clone. Yes, it will be hard, it will take time, it will cost a lot of resources, but it can be accomplished. Just take the examples there is "Unix Clone = Linux" "Windows x86 Clone = React OS" "BeOS clone = HaikuOS". So grab the stuff you already have open source (opensource.palm.com), grab all technical documentation and start to open source the WebOS component by component.

3) Get the community together. Since you are an active WebOS community member (I'm not), start getting the community together towards the idea of Open Source and try to bring them together to help. Where does the WebOS developers hang out? where does the users hang out? It is possible that a lot of WebOS will start to disappear with time and fade away. Try to bring the people together.

Right now it is the time to bring the WebOS into an open source community, before the OS fade away and users/developers make the complete switch.

Good Luck !
    See: Microsoft woos webOS developers with free phones, training - Engadget

Microsoft claims that over 1000 webOS developers have responded as of Monday morning. Microsoft is close to 30,000 apps.

Winrumors has posted the email webOS developers will receive:

http://www.winrumors.com/microsofts-full-email-message-to-webos-developers/

The email says that webOS developers with at least one published webOS app can request a Mango prototype.
    Wow, that email is amazing - one concise repository that lays out different regional points of contact along with a list of resources to make the transition as painless as possible.

Unless it's a religious or philosophical thing, I can't imagine why any webOS developer would turn this down.
    As I read this, they are asking for good faith effort to port apps. They will provide the hardware, tools, and training to make the port as quick as possible.
    Microsoft claims that over 1000 webOS developers have responded as of Monday morning.
    Ai, ai, ai... this Balmer and this stories...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Global Posts
    54 Global Posts
    Brandon said today over 1,000 developers have expressed interest in developing for Windows Phone 7 since his offer:

Twitter

AdDuplex has joined in and is offering 20,000 free ad impressions to anyone who ports their apps to Windows Phone 7:

AdDuplex adds to the pot to attract developers

The offer is simple, port your app to Windows Phone and AdDuplex will give you 20,000 ad impressions. As with most free offers there are rules (to prevent anyone from taking advantage of the deal) and they are as follows:

1. Have an app published in the official application store on other mobile platform before August 22, 2011.
    2. Port and publish it in Windows Phone Marketplace from August 22, 2011 to December 31, 2011.
    3. Request your 20,000 ad impressions coupon by sending links to your app on the other platform and Windows Phone platform to info@adduplex.com

While this will help webOS developers get started, the offer is also being extended to Android, iOS, and Blackberry developers. It's nice to see the Windows Phone community offer alternatives to webOS and other developers.

Even if webOS finds a way to survive (which we hope it will) these offers will give developers a means to diversify their lineup.
    Brandon said today over 1,000 developers have expressed interest in developing for Windows Phone 7 since his offer:
    who have a mouth, speak what they want... 1000 developers... from webOS... right, I know...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    who have a mouth, speak what they want... 1000 developers... from webOS... right, I know...

Best Regards...
    Basically anyone who developed a fart app for webos from 2 years ago --- but hasn't developed a single line on the platform since is going to sign up to get a free phone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rnp View Post
    Ai, ai, ai... this Balmer and this stories..
    You can look at the Twitter account at @BrandonWatson (Twitter). That does not show how many private messages or emails he has gotten but that is a lot of tweets. Brandow Watson is a developer relations guy not Steve Balmer. His cell number is listed if you want to call him.

So if you are a published webOS developer, you can get a free Windows phone just for giving it a go. It seems that even if you are just curious, you would want to see if it really is as easy as they claim to port over.

We know many developers were people working on the side and on their own but some had more than one person.

Are you saying that the total number of webOS developers never hit 1,000?
    <thread merged>
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast