Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1.    #1  
    <<In terms of us doing everything up the stack, what we announced yesterday is we're not building the devices.>>

The Engadget Interview: HP's Stephen DeWitt discusses the state of webOS - Engadget
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    That picture of him is a half stop under exposed.

ET
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etphoto View Post
    That picture of him is a half stop under exposed.

ET
    He wants you to look harder at him.
    Now this is confusing, over at engadget they interviewed Stephen Dwitt, and correct me if im wrong but hes saying in the interview that HP is keeping Webos, supporting, and still developing it they are just not building the devices any longer. So doesnt that mean of course anything running Webos (ala all pres, veers, touchpad) will still be supported? Can someone elaborate please.

The Engadget Interview: HP's Stephen DeWitt discusses the state of webOS - Engadget
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Call me when they actually sign a hardware partner.
    He talks in circles in that interview. Nothing he said changes things in my mind.
    translation: I've been kept in the dark. I'm good with words. Someone please hire me because I'm about to be unemployed :-)
    Interesting quotes... but I'd feel better about them if he hadn't been blind-sided by Leo on this whole thing.

What we decided not to do is build a device-end of the equation. What we have decided to do is invest in the webOS as a platform so that we can deliver the type of innovation in that platform to fulfill our vision of connected devices.
    And so we have gone down a path, and it was kind of the legacy Palm path, if you will, and we were vertically integrated. We did hardware design, we did hardware -- we basically did the whole stack, from the hardware up, and there advantages to doing that. There are also disadvantages to doing that, and so we made the decision to focus on the platform. Focus on the development of that platform to give us flexibility for alternatives, if you will, in terms of how we could bring webOS to the market and expand the ecosystem, and those opportunities and alternatives are pretty obvious. We can look at licensing; we can look at OEM and ODM-type relationships. There isn't a one-size-fits-all here, because a one-size approach is going to limit the opportunity of delivering tens of billions of connected devices -- at least in our opinion. So we made that decision.

It doesn't mean -- in any way, shape or form, at all -- that we are abandoning webOS. In fact, we're allowing webOS to fulfill the vision that I think everyone in the industry wants to see, and that is a viable alternative to other tablet or mobile operating systems that are out there that have their own baggage.
    We can only hope they do this and to it right. Oh yeah... and fire Leo.
    He's saying things the public wants to hear, like a politician. Once things go down though they'll be singing a different tune.
    HP's word holds no more value with me. I'll believe it when it actually happens. Even then, it may not matter to me anymore.
    Did he really say anything in this interview to give anyone hope? It was more of the same double-speak from the original announcement. Hopes of 'we're talking to partners' doesn't mean anything is going to change.

Only difference is, unlike Apotheker, DeWitt seems to believe the company line. Don't know why that would be though.
    I think if you read the Engadget replies at the bottom of the article you'll get a feeling on what people on here will be saying about it as well.

eT
    Way how this was announced yesterday reflects absence of any idea what HP will do with WebOS. DeWitt and Kerris are now running with buckets of water all over woods trying to put out fire.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by jcohengd View Post
    He's saying things the public wants to hear, like a politician. Once things go down though they'll be singing a different tune.
    had the same feeling. How to dissociate truth and lies in his talk?
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    I can't wait new Jon 'because we can' Rubinstein interview...
    Quote Originally Posted by grasshoper View Post
    had the same feeling. How to dissociate truth and lies in his talk?
    Well, if a marketer's lips are moving...
    He's saying it publicly but if you look at the meeting they had internally at HP (run by him and Bradley) it's clear he was also left in the dark. He just heard about it either yesterday or the day before at the earliest.
    As a developer, this interview has zero value.

We continue without devices on which get our apps intalled.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Newness Developments apps:

Seemed pretty clear to me, HP is getting out of the building hardware business and staying in the more lucrative software side of the tech industry. Last time I checked, webOS is software.
    I think everyone is looking at DeWitt as a man without power in his word at this point. His tone is the same now as it was when he took over, but after being left out of the loop along with everyone else, I don't thing there is any fire in his eyes per se. Engadget spun him around in circles and really got nothing out of him. HP completely shot themselves in the foot yesterday. If this was really their plan, yesterday's announcement would have been different. It sounds to me like DeWitt is just trying to sweep up a bit of the dust around yesterday's implosion. He can tidy up as much as he likes, but he's standing in rubble. HP can still pull webOS out of the heap, but there's going to be years of mending involved with the public and developers. So sad.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast