Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1.    #1  
    I know it's not a popular sentiment around here today, but I really do still believe in the future potential of WebOS. Just as labor pains must be endured before a baby is born, we've had to endure labor pains along the way to see WebOS fully "born" and come to it's full potential...and we aren't there yet. I look at it this way: WebOS has been set free! (or at least almost) Palm couldn't afford to do what needed to be done with WebOS. HP had the deep pockets but not the know-how or desire (add on top of that that Leo is too incompetent to make a grilled cheese sandwich). Now WebOS is on the verge of being unburdened from both situations. Articles like the one below give me reason for hope:

HP's WebOS Is Now a Competitive Advantage Waiting to Happen | PCWorld Business Center

It's like a gifted child growing up in a home with incompetent or deadbeat parents. The parents likely don't see anything special about their child, but teachers will. Their full potential may not be recognized until they are unfettered from their parents. Outsiders still see WebOS as a strong OS and still see room for a viable 3rd alternative in the mobile space. The internet is abuzz with speculation about who might try to acquire WebOS. Yes, the odds are stacked mightily against WebOS at this point, but does anyone remember Apple from the mid-90s? Qualms about WebOS products have virtually never involved criticisms of WebOS itself. I really see today as the potential beginning for WebOS.
    Sure, if somebody more capable buy it or license it.

i.e., samsung, htc, asus, acer.
    My man I like webos also but its gone .the next time u see webos will be on android platform yeah I know it hurts but its true.I knew this was going to happen. That's why I also have an evo and will be getting SAMSUNG GALAXY S 2.. android is not all that bad once u get use too it. And if your in to the whole rooting thing its great on that level. R.I.p webos
    Quote Originally Posted by gangland View Post
    My man I like webos also but its gone .the next time u see webos will be on android platform yeah I know it hurts but its true.I knew this was going to happen. That's why I also have an evo and will be getting SAMSUNG GALAXY S 2.. android is not all that bad once u get use too it. And if your in to the whole rooting thing its great on that level. R.I.p webos
    How long does it take to get used to it? Because I've had a Samsung Nexus S for a month now, and I constantly try to imagine how it have been possible for google to manage to make the UI this terrible.

I'm desperately looking at the webOS situation, dying to get back. (I waited 4 months with a pre with a broken mike, and another 4 months without a functioning phone to get the pre3. Until I finally gave up and got a nexus S)
    Yeah I don't like nexus s try HTC or something. Took me atleast 2-3 months to grow on me but yeah android cool man. Also I mod, flash roms like crazy so u can mod your phone too your liking. Just give it a chance bro.
    webOS as a consumer product is dead. They may talk of licensing but no one is going to try and revive a dead product. "The webOS" will be absorbed into the deepest bowels of HP and leveraged only for enterprise solutions. Dewitt mentioned the health care industry... think of all of the equipment in a hospital... think of how easy it would be to implement "the webOS" into sonogram, dialysis, xray and MRI machines. There are hundreds of applications in that market alone.

webOS is dead. "The webOS" has been assimilated into the hive and will never see sunlight again.
  7.    #7  
    Oh, I don't know about all that.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    Oh, I don't know about all that.
    Maybe it will be available on HP laptops
  9. dec
    Global Posts
    255 Global Posts
    it will rise again . . . we'll hear in the next couple weeks ~
  10.    #10  
    I do actually think we'll hear something soon. If HP has something in the works, they're gonna need to lay out their plan pretty soon in order to calm the mob.
    I also believe that WebOS is not dead. All of those who claim that it is remind me of the political commentators who try to predict the outcome of an election before all of the returns are in - even when there's only 1% in!

I don't call it "facing reality" - I call it "look at me - I can trash something that I have no idea about, but I want to look cool".

Critics never built anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by sweet greggo View Post
    webOS as a consumer product is dead. They may talk of licensing but no one is going to try and revive a dead product. "The webOS" will be absorbed into the deepest bowels of HP and leveraged only for enterprise solutions. Dewitt mentioned the health care industry... think of all of the equipment in a hospital... think of how easy it would be to implement "the webOS" into sonogram, dialysis, xray and MRI machines. There are hundreds of applications in that market alone.
    I hate to be the voice of reality here, but the idea that webOS would find huge success in health care is, to put it gently, mistaken. The medical equipment examples you mentioned are very specialized, and their software is similarly specialized for the exact functions needed. webOS is slick and elegant and fun to use, but these features are irrelevant in medical equipment use. webOS offers no compelling advantages over the proprietary software medical equipment manufacturers design to run their equipment. Let it go.