• 1 Post By landford
  • 2 Post By Suntan
  • 6 Post By ka1
  • 1 Post By HelloNNNewman
  • 1 Post By angiest
  • 3 Post By Cantaffordit
  • 1 Post By geekpeter
  1.    #1  
    I have followed things around here since the original Pre launched - and even though I was a bit shocked with Derek's openness and direct manner toward Leo, (alright alot shocked) I have to admit you were spot, right on dude. This is absolutely amazing. Nice piece.

-Tom
    C-Note likes this.
    I disagree. What that was was childish. At best it gives websites like this the well deserved notion that blog sites aren't legitimate. Or worse, the site stops getting preferential treatment from hp (assuming hp has anything more to announce w/ regards to webos.)

Someone writing like that on forums would get deleted, it's a double standard to put it on the front page.

-Suntan
    NickA and HenryAlan like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    I disagree. What that was was childish. At best it gives websites like this the well deserved notion that blog sites aren't legitimate. Or worse, the site stops getting preferential treatment from hp (assuming hp has anything more to announce w/ regards to webos.)

Someone writing like that on forums would get deleted, it's a double standard to put it on the front page.

-Suntan
    I agree with Suntan here, vent in the forums not an article.

Hopefully HP will see it as an emotional outburst and understand how passionate people are about WebOS though.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Honesty and the truth are never childish. Sometimes speaking the truth to authority is the mark of being a man.
    KA1
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Prism/Digital Link->Treo 650->Treo 700p->Pre->GSM Unlocked Pre 2 (wifi only)->FrankenPre + Touchpad 32 ->+ Touchpad 4G ATT + ATT Pre3 + 64 White Touchpad... bliss.
    Good article/letter Derek!
    When something horrible was written on the forums, it has always been done to troll. This is now news and he called it (editorial) from where he was seeing it. There is a difference between trolling on a fan site and now reporting/autopsying horrible news. Normally I'd agree... but it's a bit different of a situation now, huh?
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 08/19/2011 at 03:28 PM.
    LCGuy likes this.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    It's an editorial. An opinion piece, and marked as such.
    DavidVogt likes this.
    One huge difference:

Anyone that is the managing editor of a commercial website can write whatever he writes on said website.

Members of forums wishing the same latitude can post such things on any website where they are they are the managing editor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post

-Suntan
    if an editor has to alter his editorials to match the needs of a company like HP just for "preferencial treatment" etc, then i cant say that would be a "news" piece i would wish to read.

I like reading comments/news from people who have an opinion, not ones given an opinion.

Its up to us if we choose to agree/disagree with anything posted but at the least we should give an honest opinion back to another persons honest opinion.
    ADGrant likes this.
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    One huge difference:

Anyone that is the managing editor of a commercial website can write whatever he writes on said website.

Members of forums wishing the same latitude can post such things on any website where they are they are the managing editor.
    People seem to forget we are guests and have to play by the rules of the people who let us use up electrons here (and photons, if any fibre is involved).
    I like how people defend as journalistic integrity when a blog post claims, "Such and Such has no brains and no balls."

That's Pulitzer stuff there.

Anyway, I'm sure that rant will change a lot of things.

-Suntan
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    Deiter had foresight...
    I agree with the sentiment exactly but we want to have the professionalism of a real blog. Would the Wall Street Journal, AllthingsD, Engadget, BGR, or other professional sites scream "S**** You!"

Will this reflect on all of Smartphone Experts?
    Quote Originally Posted by BIKEFXR View Post
    Deiter had foresight...
    Listen to the "This is My Next" podcast from last night for Dieter's thoughts. He has to be a bit careful. At least at one point he was dating Lisa Brewster (AKA @Adora).

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Dan Donovan