Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By frankos72
  • 1 Post By Cantaffordit
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Yesterday, a couple of hours before Leo pulled the rug out from under webOS users, I received an email from a sales rep at HP. The email was the usual discounted product email but, in the email, they were hawking the touchpad. Nothing strange there but, once Leo dropped a deuce on the community, it seemed somewhat strange that HP's sales rep would destroy their relationship with their customers by trying to sell them products that were, basically, dead in the water.

So I emailed my rep and asked her how they could still be promoting a product that no longer will be supported by the company.

She had no clue as to what I was talking about and, when I shot her links to the news, she seemed stunned.

So, the sales team is sending out emails promoting a product that, in hours, is to be dead.

HP releases new products days before pulling the plug on the very products they are selling.

Nobody at HP, other than Leo, seems to know what is going on.

All of this leads me to believe one of two things.

Either they were in negotiations to license out webOS to another manufacturer and the deal fell thru at the 11th hours (possibly related to google's acquistion of motorola). This would explain the release of the products and the complete and utter chaos that seems be spread thru the company.

or

HP was forging ahead, Google buys Motorola and they realize that they won't be able to compete with their products and, since they are too late to cancel the release of the products, they will go ahead, announce that they are done with hardware and then push, big time, to find someone willing to take over the hardware manufacturing for webOS.

They've said that they will, hopefully, be able to give a clearer plan for webOS' future in the next two weeks. This means, to me, that they are already talking to potential hardware manufacturers or they already have a deal in place.

If not, if they are planning on walking away from the devices and the o/s (which will happen if there's no device makers out there), they are opening themselves up to tons of issues.

Lawsuits from app developers who were led to believe HP was committed to webOS.
    Lawsuits from buyers of their devices who were led to believe HP was committed to the devices.
    Lawsuits from service providers who released their products days before the company killed the products.

I have been waiting for the pre3 for months. I have a + and I've been holding off on the upgrade as I didn't want to use up my verizon upgrade credit on the 2 if the 3 was coming around the corner. I bought a touchpad knowing that the 3 was coming and that they were meant to work together. I bought touchpads for my dad and a business partner, to show off how much better the o/s was over the other alternatives. Now, I'm stuck wondering if I should by the 2 when the price drops to nil. I love the o/s, hate apple products and find android to be a bit of a confusing mess.

Somewhere a lawyer with a desire to crush a company for abusing their customer's loyalty by selling them products they plan on killing, is trying to figure out how much HP should be punished for this egregious act of stupidity.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    your assumptions are very good and i tend to agree.

but they fail with one fact. Leadership at HP seem to be inept. To me they just saw the huge red ink from the palm team and decided to axe it before anything else. IT was simple numbers crunching in my opinion.

as i state before HP would have avoided all of this if instead of announce shutting down web os devices, they instead announce they will license it, and invest heavily on enyo development.

They even said it would take until 4Q to winddown productions. they did not need to announce anything like this.

Unfortunatly for all of this, this is utter incompetence -=\
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    I agree that it was all mismanaged but the potential for lawsuits leads me to believe they have some kind of plan B being prepped or in place.

You don't spend all that money on something and pull the plug in under a year without having a few internal discussions. Those internal discussions would, surely, have resulted in rumors, leaks etc.

Thus, the last minute decision is a shock, even though there's already some licensing plan in play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crakeur View Post

Somewhere a lawyer with a desire to crush a company for abusing their customer's loyalty by selling them products they plan on killing, is trying to figure out how much HP should be punished for this egregious act of stupidity.
    There won't be any (viable) lawsuits, unless HP has contracts with specific buyers or vendors who them the rug was pulled out.

Most of the assumptions people make when purchasing a product, esp folks in a tech forum such as this come from back channel chatter - not official promises from the company.

You have every reason to believe, for example, when you bought your TP that there would be a phone to go with it, but when you bought the TP, that ws not part of your contract with HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    your assumptions are very good and i tend to agree.

but they fail with one fact. Leadership at HP seem to be inept. To me they just saw the huge red ink from the palm team and decided to axe it before anything else. IT was simple numbers crunching in my opinion.

as i state before HP would have avoided all of this if instead of announce shutting down web os devices, they instead announce they will license it, and invest heavily on enyo development.

They even said it would take until 4Q to winddown productions. they did not need to announce anything like this.

Unfortunatly for all of this, this is utter incompetence -=\
    I don't know about it being just a simple number crunching decision. If he'd only said they were axing the mobile division that would be one thing. However he also said they are planning to cutoff their entire consumer division. Plus that comment where he specifically takes 100% responsibility for those decisions leaves far too much confusion and the shareholder reaction is showing that.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    There won't be any (viable) lawsuits, unless HP has contracts with specific buyers or vendors who them the rug was pulled out.

Most of the assumptions people make when purchasing a product, esp folks in a tech forum such as this come from back channel chatter - not official promises from the company.

You have every reason to believe, for example, when you bought your TP that there would be a phone to go with it, but when you bought the TP, that ws not part of your contract with HP.
    Well, there are other things that would be part of that purchase contract, software and tech support plus we don't know what's going to happen the profile and Synergy systems which are pretty integral to the operation of these devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    I personally don't plan to take part in ANY lawsuits. That said, I believe you are wrong here. As it has been pointed out time and again there have been plenty of promises broken.
    • App Editing on the Phones, then the TouchPad
    • All devices withing weeks, not months of announcement... HRM Pre 3.. Touchapd
    • webOS on all personal computers shipped by Q1 2012. tagged with some insane number of computer sold per day.
    • Touch to Share with the Pre3.

And that's just off the top of my head. Many of these items weren't just casually mentioned but rather were mentioned even promoted over and over. That looks a lot like a promise to me.

It's a sad sad time. IMO, the only thing that will make it better is if HTC or Samsung decides to purchase or license webOS. Nothing else seems capable of resurrecting webOS, IMO.
    sorli likes this.
    the conclusion is backwards on the OP. Everyone at HP seems to have an idea what is going on EXCEPT Leo.

just saying
    OrionAntares#CB likes this.
  9. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    This is pretty straight forward - once an organisation decides that a business unit or product is for the chop, they are cut out of the loop. This is to prevent them leaking information before the corporate level wants the information out there. That's why the staff found via a press release.

HRM will be making polite but vague statements to them while at the same working out who will get the bullets. All the managers in the unit will now be desperately to get moved to the enterprise side before the company moves to china. Meanwhile any programmer worth his salt will be on the phone to recruiters.

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk
  10. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Meanwhile Joe Ruinstein is wondering "what colour should my new speedboat be?
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    This is pretty straight forward - once an organisation decides that a business unit or product is for the chop, they are cut out of the loop. This is to prevent them leaking information before the corporate level wants the information out there. That's why the staff found via a press release.

HRM will be making polite but vague statements to them while at the same working out who will get the bullets. All the managers in the unit will now be desperately to get moved to the enterprise side before the company moves to china. Meanwhile any programmer worth his salt will be on the phone to recruiters.

Which is why no one at HP knew anything about this since the entire consumer (both personal and business) focused operation is on the chopping block...

Go go enterprise operations???
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CGK View Post
    This is pretty straight forward - once an organisation decides that a business unit or product is for the chop, they are cut out of the loop.
    The reaction of some of the hp execs would indicate that the loop was leo and nobody else. I know this isn't the case but even the top webOS folks seemed to have been kept in the dark.
  13. cgk
    Global Posts
    9,494 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crakeur View Post
    The reaction of some of the hp execs would indicate that the loop was leo and nobody else. I know this isn't the case but even the top webOS folks seemed to have been kept in the dark.
    That's actually pretty low level in the scheme of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    the conclusion is backwards on the OP. Everyone at HP seems to have an idea what is going on EXCEPT Leo.

just saying
    Ouch!