Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By vincenzo
  1.    #1  
    In reality, the reason webOS failed is that there wasn't market saturation. If every carrier had three or four varieties of webOS phones and a tablet or two, believe me, there would be plenty of sales.

The vast majority of the public doesn't know enough about OS's and app counts to know which phone to buy. Some of my friends are still running stock pre2's from at&t with no idea that the company died or that their phones are outdated. they love them.

It all comes down to mindshare and saturation. Of course, Apple's case is a special scenario. They didn't need to follow that model because of brand awareness and loyalty.

had HTC, Samsung, and others put out phones, and the shelves had a webOS phone as a 1 out of 3 option, there would be no complaints today.
    Sapient2k7 likes this.
    I canít speak for market trends overall, but the #1 reason I didnít wait for the Pre3 was because I heard absolutely zero about compelling new apps in the last 6 months.

At the time my two requirements were for Skype video chat and Netflix. But now that Iíve really taken the time to look at everything available on android (not to mention checking in on the free ďapp a dayĒ from Amazon) Iím amazed at all the other apps I appreciate now that werenít available for my Pre+.

So continue to proclaim that lack of apps has nothing to do with it, but it did for me. If I had to go out on a limb, Iíd say Iím not alone.

-Suntan
    It's both.

There are some key apps missing that really needed to be in there but also the argument of app volume is a red herring Apple likes to throw out there.
    Its apps and distribution. Hard to buy a smartphone if it doesn't work on your carrier. OTOH if running third party apps is important, its Android or iOS.
    I just have to say...every person I've tried to sell on WebOS has asked at some point in the conversation "How many apps are there? Oh, ok. How many does the iPhone have?" I don't know why it's so hard to convince people that apps matter. To those of us in this forum they may not matter so much. But your average consumer is less impressed with the fine details and nuances and sheer beauty of an OS. All they want to know is "Does it have the Netflix app? Does it have the Kindle app? Skype? QuickOffice? etc" The media has made app # the absolute defining characteristic for a mobile OS. It's unfortunate, but that's the case. HP/Palm could have put out 4 different form factors each on the 4 major carriers and WebOS still wouldn't have caught on b/c people just want to know about apps. They might care about other things, but at the end of the day, apps is always a major factor. It's a status thing, for sure, but it's the way the game has to be played.
    Quote Originally Posted by YankBoy View Post
    The media has made app # the absolute defining characteristic for a mobile OS.
    If that were true nobody but apple would sell a single smartphone.

Stop blaming everything on this or that group of conspirators (this time itís, ďThe Media.)

Fact is, even people that arenít smart enough to log in and post here (because only people here are smart enough to properly judge the ďbeautyĒ of a phone OSÖ) are capable of deciding what they want in a phone. App availability is likely a good part of that. Not because someone told them it was something they should look for, but probably because they want to use them.

-Suntan
  7.    #7  
    for apps, there are KEY apps that you must have, based on popularity.

skype, netflix, words with friends possibly.

aside from maybe 50 apps, and out of those fifty most people look for just a select few, it comes down to mindshare to the consumer when shopping.

apple can get away with one phone. webOS would need multiple manufactorers supplying a good amount of phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
    apple can get away with one phone. webOS would need multiple manufactorers supplying a good amount of phones.
    They could have got away with one phone provided it was a decent phone (i.e. not the Pre/Pre+/Pixi/Pix+ or Veer) and available on at least Verzion and AT&T.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntan View Post
    If that were true nobody but apple would sell a single smartphone.

Stop blaming everything on this or that group of conspirators (this time itís, ďThe Media.)

Fact is, even people that arenít smart enough to log in and post here (because only people here are smart enough to properly judge the ďbeautyĒ of a phone OSÖ) are capable of deciding what they want in a phone. App availability is likely a good part of that. Not because someone told them it was something they should look for, but probably because they want to use them.

-Suntan
    I never said only the company with the most apps would sell smartphones. But it's no coincidence that Android and iOS sell the most smartphones and they also have the most apps.

I didn't make a conspiracy out of anything. But, when looking at smartphones, the media does highlight apps. Consumers have latched onto that as their main measuring stick. I tried to convince a coworker to go with the Pre 2 over the iPhone 4 and was doing my darndedst to impress with him multitasking. He simply replied "Yeah, but if they don't have the apps I want, then what is there to multitask??"

Virtually anytime I was in a store looking at phones, when I asked about the Pre/Plus/2, the salesperson would say they were good phones, but didn't have very many apps. The media contributes to this, Apple contributes to this, Android contributes to this. There are many reasons WebOS is in the boat it is in today, and no single reason alone would have doomed it. But without a well-developed, competitive app catalog, NO OS will sell well. Period.