Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mize
    Global Posts
    8 Global Posts
    It makes perfect sense. They have so much dough, and webOS would make them an even bigger power-house. The UI fits best with what they have already.

Thoughts?
    Remains to be seen. Not likely, but if they just want the IP, then maybe. If they could incorporate what's best about iOS with what's best about WebOS, then I'd be intrigued.
    What use would they have for it? Apple's patent portfolio is one of the best, if not the best when it comes to phones. Did you see Apple paying 12 billion for Motorola?

Plus, apple is worried about appletv now. they need to spend money to counter the fact that google now owns every cable set top box in america.
    If this were to happen, I'd join the zombie's in Android land.
    Sprint Love
    I believe all three giants, google, apple and microsoft are trying to buy webOS. Not for the OS, it's all for patents. And I am willing to bet, they will pay more than what HP paid for Palm a year ago. Patents price went up so much. I think this was the reason why HP decided to discontinue with webOS. They see the much higher value on IP than actually making the device. And HP doesn't know how to make high end device anyway.
    If apple bought it, it would be for patents only and webOS would be wiped from the face of the earth. WebOS profiles and the app catalog would probably be the first things to be shut off.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Apple is very much a NIH (not invented here) company. Sure they'll steal swipes to change apps for iOS5, but there won't be cards or stacks in iOS' future.

Personally I'd like to see Samsung buy webOS outright and put it on a Galaxy IIS and tell Apple to blow themselves over the current lawsuit.
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    Mr._Happy likes this.
    Webos won't going anywhere but i could see a few companies jointly buying the patents.
    I think you left a "not" out of your title..
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Quote Originally Posted by vincenzo View Post
    the fact that google now owns every cable set top box in america.
    ???
    the two frontrunners that would want webOS would be Facebook (currently fighting with google) or amazon (on a collision course with google)...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Apple is very much a NIH (not invented here) company. Sure they'll steal swipes to change apps for iOS5, but there won't be cards or stacks in iOS' future.

Personally I'd like to see Samsung buy webOS outright and put it on a Galaxy IIS and tell Apple to blow themselves over the current lawsuit.
    They would buy it just for the IP but I wouldn't rule out them borrowing ideas for iOS. You would never see another WebOS device of course.
    Facebook...I hadn't thought of that. Very intriguing idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    I believe all three giants, google, apple and microsoft are trying to buy webOS. Not for the OS, it's all for patents. And I am willing to bet, they will pay more than what HP paid for Palm a year ago. Patents price went up so much. I think this was the reason why HP decided to discontinue with webOS. They see the much higher value on IP than actually making the device. And HP doesn't know how to make high end device anyway.
    You are making a HUGE assumption here. That is HP were to sell webOS that it would sell the Palm patents too. Personally I think HP wants to hold on to ALL of it and if anything they will just license webOS.
    they would only ever buy it to kill it of at a guess, at the stage their at, its not something they need.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikey47 View Post
    You are making a HUGE assumption here. That is HP were to sell webOS that it would sell the Palm patents too. Personally I think HP wants to hold on to ALL of it and if anything they will just license webOS.
    What good would just the patents be to HP, considering they don't want to be in the 'tablet', 'phone', 'PC' or for that matter in any consumer business?
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad