1.    #1  
    Amazon. forget about htc, samsung, and the like. Any of these other companies do not have the bredth and depth to launch and run their own OS for multiple form factor devices.

Only Amazon has the distribution, popularity, content licenses, manufactoring arms, ereaders, and mindshare.

To think that Amazon has been successful in launching a second android market offering the same items, only less securely, and its a hit. This is the suitor that can save Palm and webOS.

Plus, they are the only legitimate competition to launch a tablet in the market right now.

Pray Amazon buys webOS, and buys it fast.
    what makes you think webOS is for sale?
    Quote Originally Posted by threed61 View Post
    what makes you think webOS is for sale?
    At this point, what makes you think it isn't?
  4.    #4  
    oh its for sale. hp needs to raise capital. remember, apotheker didn't buy webOS, mark hurd did. they have ZERO use for webOS and its patents. However, Amazon could use them and its operating system.

HP is trying to go the way of IBM and get out of the hardware business. Even if they're years late for that.
  5. Bo
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    sorry but amazon can't save anything, maybe if it were a software problem but its not...completely. What WebOS needs is a hardware manufacturer to take the software and put it in a device that is on par with or ahead of todays standard. It needs a really good looking piece of hardware that's different than what we've been getting for the past two years. On the software side it needs to be able to compete with the other platforms in regards to having the most popular apps and go back to its roots with some sort of desktop PIM management and document editing natively.
    For the right price, everything is for sale. Especially after HP publicly pulled the plug on WebOS without even finding a company to license the software.

All this "we are going forward with WebOS" is just lip service. HP would love to be bailed out right now.
    Not a terrible idea there. I'd be inclined to think Intel would be a good destination for it as well, though, and they might have some interest in it what with full-fledged Meego coming along slowly.
    Looking back, I'm sad Nokia passed on webOS. I've been loving my WP7 Surround but I would dump it in a heartbeat if I could have had webOS on Nokia hardware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo View Post
    On the software side it needs to be able to compete with the other platforms in regards to having the most popular apps and go back to its roots with some sort of desktop PIM management and document editing natively.
    This.
    Tungsten E / dumb phone -> TX / Blackberry Pearl -> Pre (1.4.1.1) -> Evo 4G / rooted Nook Color (with the Pre on the side).
  10.    #10  
    amazon has already proven they can build a tablet (ereader) and be the most successful one in the market. they've successfully made it into the only real success story beyond ipad.

they have the content, the distribution, the know-how, the mindshare.

Bezos has been an internet success story since the dawn of the internet. He's the last guy without a mobile OS that is one of the pioneers.
    Amazon tablets on webOS, fine.
    But will they build webOS phones? Doubtful....

Tablets are secondary to me... I really want another webOS phone!!
    Amazon will be using Android. They already invested heavily on android ecosystem. I doubt they will get the webOS tablet. And they are already planning to release their tablet very soon, there's no way they will have second generation tablet with totally different os on it. I think Samsung is the only one out there can use webOS. In fact, if they get it today, I am sure they can turn around and release new webOS device beginning of next year.
    Amazon could googlize it... meaning that they would foster the OS and ecosystem, but have other manufacturers make the devices.

It could fit, because that would extend Amazon's platform for selling stuff in a way that they have some more control.

But there's a good point that Amazon doesn't really need this if their Android stuff is going well.
    Who's flying this thing?
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by snowbound View Post
    Amazon could googlize it... meaning that they would foster the OS and ecosystem, but have other manufacturers make the devices.

It could fit, because that would extend Amazon's platform for selling stuff in a way that they have some more control.

But there's a good point that Amazon doesn't really need this if their Android stuff is going well.
    why be beholden to google and android if you can go it alone? they already proved they can make money in android by putting out their own appstore. at the same time, developers are excited to develop for an amazon eco-system (at least according to multiple tech bloggers). if amazon has mindshare and the ear of developers, do it with your own OS so you can truly compete against google and apple.

amazon and webOS. its a win for amazon, its a win for palm, its a win for us. only bezos can save us now.
    Amazon don't sell to all world...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    enough with going to one after another inexperienced hands, webOS need an smartphone expert. amazon is NOT.